Save The EFL - Enough is Enough

David

15 minutes ago, atherstoneram said:

As the EFL represent 72 clubs it would have to be put to a vote of all members as there are also league 1 and 2 matches shown on TV and get payments from the TV rights distributed accordingly

I agree, may be it is time for other clubs to listen. What do you suggest a PL2 in which case clubs in leagues 1 and 2 would soon go to the wall and as a football fan i am sure you would not want that to happen

Except if you'd read a little more widely you'll see that a lot of the issues with the EFL are not making best use of the championship as a driver for the whole EFL

Part of Mel's argument (which I've seen echoed on places like Talksport publicly) is that using the Championship to drive revenue goals and holding people like Sky and foreign TV providers to a standard for them would get a better deal for the whole EFL - If you say "Each championship club should be worth £10m viewing rights per season" you're more likely to get overall a better deal - At the moment they go in with "each of the 72 EFL clubs is worth £3m in viewing rights" and use more of an average

If they let the Championship clubs take the lead in the negotiation it would be better for all clubs in the EFL - That's the idea

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, David said:

I don’t think it needs to be a PL 2, for me the obvious solution would be for the parachute payment money to be distributed to L1 & L2 clubs instead. 

iFollow to stream all L1 & L2 games with profits distributed to those clubs, then look to sell Sky a TV package for the Championship only whilst allowing clubs to stream games that are not shown on TV if they wish to do so.

The Championship is an exciting product, it’s time for the EFL to realise it’s value whilst protecting L1 and L2 clubs from going to the wall.

David, are you suggesting all L1 and L2 matches streamed for all clubs for every match, if that was the case there would be no supporters in attendence, possibly a better solution would be to stream the match to the away teams supporters to watch from home thus increasing revenue because you would have a "new" market, some only go to home matches. You would still have the diehard fan who would travel to away matches thus maintaining revenue for the home team.

The same could equally apply to Championship clubs, a lot do not go to away matches or are constrained by away capacity so why not offer a season ticket with an add on to watch the away matches on RamsTV etc. for matches that are not shown live on TV. Not every fan wants to/can afford to go to away matches and the clubs gets additional income. Times have changed since the TV package was entered into and i am sure the EFL are fully aware of that. This may be a way forward to increase revenue for all clubs in the EFL

4 minutes ago, S8TY said:

For starters it is a total conflict of interests to have football chairman involved with the EFL making decisions

That like having Kenny Fat Boy Burns refereeing our matches !!!

Everyone on the EFL board is a club representative except for the Chairman and two independent directors. Three from the Championship; Two from League One; One from League Two. Voted in by the clubs in the league.

1 minute ago, atherstoneram said:

David, are you suggesting all L1 and L2 matches streamed for all clubs for every match, if that was the case there would be no supporters in attendence, possibly a better solution would be to stream the match to the away teams supporters to watch from home thus increasing revenue because you would have a "new" market, some only go to home matches. You would still have the diehard fan who would travel to away matches thus maintaining revenue for the home team.

The same could equally apply to Championship clubs, a lot do not go to away matches or are constrained by away capacity so why not offer a season ticket with an add on to watch the away matches on RamsTV etc. for matches that are not shown live on TV. Not every fan wants to/can afford to go to away matches and the clubs gets additional income. Times have changed since the TV package was entered into and i am sure the EFL are fully aware of that. This may be a way forward to increase revenue for all clubs in the EFL

That is a risk but it’s all how you price it so it doesn’t effect attendances whilst they have the ability the to gain revenue from fans that physically would not be able to get to the game.

Football for many is still a sociable that wouldn’t be tempted to stay at home on a Saturday to watch a stream. 

So many packages and options where you could cover all bases, no reason why a club like Grimsby couldn’t take £10 from Barry who has to look after his 3 kids on a Saturday whilst his missus works a shift down Tesco. 

15 hours ago, David said:

No link, just a topic to throw suggestions out there for our voices to be heard, enough is enough.

Let's use this platform and community to make a difference.

How?

We're like a minnow in the Pacific Ocean........doubt it will even register with the EFL

1 minute ago, oldtimeram said:

How?

We're like a minnow in the Pacific Ocean........doubt it will even register with the EFL

We’re a minnow...but we are friends with a shark, that’s friends with other sharks and other minnows that’s getting fed up of the BIG BLUE WHALE that’s been a bit of a pain in the arse.

Yeah!

9 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Everyone on the EFL board is a club representative except for the Chairman and two independent directors. Three from the Championship; Two from League One; One from League Two. Voted in by the clubs in the league.

Fair enough thanks for enlightening me SaintRam...it is one of the criteria which I've heard mentioned which some do not like...how comes Gibson is seemingly having so much influence ?

1 minute ago, David said:

That is a risk but it’s all how you price it so it doesn’t effect attendances whilst they have the ability the to gain revenue from fans that physically would not be able to get to the game.

Football for many is still a sociable that wouldn’t be tempted to stay at home on a Saturday to watch a stream. 

So many packages and options where you could cover all bases, no reason why a club like Grimsby couldn’t take £10 from Barry who has to look after his 3 kids on a Saturday whilst his missus works a shift down Tesco. 

As i said, it wouldn't impact on the diehard who go to every away match and see it as an important part of their lives but opens up a new market for those that can't get for any reason

15 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

First they came for Birmingham, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Blue.

Then they came for Wigan, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Latic.

Then they came for Sheffield Wednesday, and I did not speak out - because I was not an Owl.

Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak for me.

So true. And a great bit of historical reference. ?.
The EFL bringing action following a complaint is right and proper, despite our moans .. The appeal, on such shaky ground, after a pretty emphatic verdict tells you that this isn’t about rules or being right and proper. it is about petty vindictiveness, personal scores and whatever else .. None of which has a place in a professional organisation. They need to be brought to order and whoever instigated the appeal needs to be outed for the playground bully that they are. 

1 hour ago, David said:

Those parachute payments would be far better split between League 1 and 2 clubs each year, what is it now, £90m over the 3 seasons each?? Mad really, there’s so much wrong it’s difficult to even know where to start.

If you calculate the total paid out in parachute payments and solidarity payments from the PL, you get at least £350m to share round (£370m in 18/19). If all 72 EFL clubs had an even share, they'd get close to £5m each! For comparison, the typical Championship club currently receives £4.65m, L1 £0.7m and L2 0.5m. Splitting it evenly doesn't make it fair, and potentially cuts off non-league teams, so some sort of progressive decrease down the leagues is better, but what would a fair split be?

Looking at the average none PL handout revenue in each league for 19/20:
Championship: £16.7m
League 1: £8.8m
League 2: £3m

If PL handouts were in proportion to average revenue, you'd be looking at a split of 60:30:10 (currently 80:12:8), which results in average incomes of:
Championship: £25.5m (19/20 = £30.4m)
League 1: £13.2m (19/20 = £10.2m)
League 2: £4.6m (19/20 = £3.5m)

Surely that's a vote winner right there? 60-odd teams receiving more money each season (parachute teams lose out), just from redistributing the PL handouts more fairly.
Rework P&S, maybe limit wages to revenue at a specific amount, ban owners loaning clubs money, etc
Work on a better TV deal so every single EFL club is better off. Allow all clubs to stream every game not on TV. Clubs failing to fill their stadium by a certain amount (say 67%?) are restricted from showing the game which would ensure local fans still go to games.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If you calculate the total paid out in parachute payments and solidarity payments from the PL, you get at least £350m to share round (£370m in 18/19). If all 72 EFL clubs had an even share, they'd get close to £5m each! For comparison, the typical Championship club currently receives £4.65m, L1 £0.7m and L2 0.5m. Splitting it evenly doesn't make it fair, and potentially cuts off non-league teams, so some sort of progressive decrease down the leagues is better, but what would a fair split be?

Looking at the average none PL handout revenue in each league for 19/20:
Championship: £16.7m
League 1: £8.8m
League 2: £3m

If PL handouts were in proportion to average revenue, you'd be looking at a split of 60:30:10 (currently 80:12:8), which results in average incomes of:
Championship: £25.5m (19/20 = £30.4m)
League 1: £13.2m (19/20 = £10.2m)
League 2: £4.6m (19/20 = £3.5m)

Surely that's a vote winner right there? 60-odd teams receiving more money each season (parachute teams lose out), just from redistributing the PL handouts more fairly.
Rework P&S, maybe limit wages to revenue at a specific amount, ban owners loaning clubs money, etc
Work on a better TV deal so every single EFL club is better off. Allow all clubs to stream every game not on TV. Clubs failing to fill their stadium by a certain amount (say 67%?) are restricted from showing the game which would ensure local fans still go to games.

Sounds simple doesn’t it, just trying to think of an opposing argument to this as there must be a reason why the EFL can’t talk with the Premier League to agree to scrap parachute payments for this.

Surely they can see that parachute payments are forcing clubs to spend beyond their means to be competitive at the top. ?

2 minutes ago, David said:

Sounds simple doesn’t it, just trying to think of an opposing argument to this as there must be a reason why the EFL can’t talk with the Premier League to agree to scrap parachute payments for this.

Surely they can see that parachute payments are forcing clubs to spend beyond their means to be competitive at the top. ?

Scrap parachute payments and the clubs promoted to the PL may not spend as much, making the PL less competitive overall.

Back in May Evening Standard ran an article on it. 

A Premier League spokesperson said: "Parachute payments give newly promoted clubs the confidence to invest in their squads to be competitive in the Premier League.

"They are also a vital mechanism to give relegated clubs financial support while adjusting to significantly lower revenues and having a higher cost base related to their playing squads.

"The Championship is a highly competitive league with attendances, viewing figures and revenues the envy of second-tier leagues around the world. We see no evidence that parachute payments distort performance at that level and are an essential part of this highly competitive environment.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Scrap parachute payments and the clubs promoted to the PL may not spend as much, making the PL less competitive overall.

Back in May Evening Standard ran an article on it. 

Yet even the relegated club picks up around £100m in payments from the PL, why not just advance those payments to promoted clubs have money strengthen as they go up.

With no parachute payments clubs coming immediately back down won’t have the money to offer silly wages which in turn drives prices up across the league.

Not a lot you can do when you have clubs that have spent several seasons in the Prem and have money behind them 

Just now, David said:

Yet even the relegated club picks up around £100m in payments from the PL, why not just advance those payments to promoted clubs have money strengthen as they go up.

With no parachute payments clubs coming immediately back down won’t have the money to offer silly wages which in turn drives prices up across the league.

Not a lot you can do when you have clubs that have spent several seasons in the Prem and have money behind them 

quite right

makes me think that, knowing our luck, nothing will be done until we are promoted

In all seriousness and with a view to having all the facts and constructing a decent argument what exactly have they done wrong.

When I say done wrong i mean

1) Where have they acted illegally or outside their own set of rules

2) What is it they do that is immoral and just feels wrong

3) Have they at any point applied double standards

Although I cannot abide them I cannot see anything which they have done that really hits any of those three things above (believe me I would like to)

I still think that the major problem is with FFP or P&S as I think it is fundamentally flawed in what it is trying to do which I think is help football clubs remain a sustainable organisation. What it actually does is limit money coming into the game and then risk clubs sustainability by penalising/fining clubs.

Is it not the main problem is that they are doing their best to enforce a ludicrous set of rules/laws

I apologise if this post is not jumping on the bandwagon to scream out "Duck the EFL" but I am aware that I might not be in possession of all the facts and I like to be in a strong position when forming my views.

Any help or enlightenment will be gratefully received

Thanks 

Archived