Save The EFL - Enough is Enough

David

14 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Sorry mate but I think Morris has made us a target for the ire of the EFL and has aggravated things with his pronouncements at times. He should have done things the right way behind closed doors instead of gobbling off in the media about it. 

I don’t see how anyone can be critical over the way he has conducted himself publicly.

“Gobbling off” is extremely unfair, whenever he has spoken he has gained support from fans across the Championship on social media for how professional he came across. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, David said:

The idea of this topic was to come together as one, I do not have the answers, I am just one voice that has had enough with the EFL, clearly I am not alone, and if we can combine our voices and use this platform to bring other fans together to voice our displeasure we can make a difference I am sure of it.

Worry not good sir - I always have answers - How valid or useful they are remains entirely to be seen...

The most obvious thing is to suggest a fan representative on the EFL board - Or possibly multiple fans representatives - The board has representation from member clubs but not fans - Obviously fans don't have a direct financial stake in the league itself but I think it would be something the EFL might be open to - I actually think they'd like having people there who aren't club owners/representatives

There are ways to contact the EFL for all supporters - They have a charter which commits to a 7 day turnaround to reply to any contact made with them (unlike any tribunal it seems ?) - I suspect a series of sensible suggestions taken to them would be fairly well received, especially if we were able to make contact with other forums and take a collective viewpoint to them

The next thing to do would be trying to approach the EFL through commercial partners - The value of the EFL as a commercial opportunity has nothing to do with the teams or the players and everything to do with the supporters - They're not trying to sell product to the clubs, they're trying to sell product to us - If we were able to take a strong, joint argument from fans to a significant commercial partner we could seek change working with them

Finally - I know how to get hold of people at the EFL through work and I'm tempted to drop them a note and see if I can get them out for a beer - See how the structure works and who actually runs things day to day - It's a behemoth of an organisation and whilst the board will make the final decisions they won't be the catalyst for change - They're more likely to consider options/changes/thoughts brought to them by other people in the organisation so worth trying to get contacts with the people who actually 'do the work'

10 minutes ago, David said:

I don’t see how anyone can be critical over the way he has conducted himself publicly.

“Gobbling off” is extremely unfair, whenever he has spoken he has gained support from fans across the Championship on social media for how professional he came across. 

a) Mel Morris. Mr Morris has throughout the relevant period been the owner and Chairman of the Club. He gave evidence about his purchase of Pride Park from the Club and the background to that sale. His witness statement also contained a considerable amount of evidence about the Club’s wider relationship with the EFL – a relationship which he characterises as i) Involving ‘dislike’ of him and the Club by the EFL ii) Him being an ‘enemy of the EFL state’, and iii) The EFL having an ‘axe to grind against [him] personally

22) Although we return below to address the Club’s suggestion that the EFL has been motivated to bring these Charges against the Club by some improper stimulus, we also make it clear at the outset that we reject that suggestion. The evidence that we heard and the documentary evidence before us simply did not bear out such an assertion.

He needed to be bigger than this and IMO it was a mistake to articulate it.  It was poor judgement and served no purpose apart from making the club look paranoid.  I have a lot of time for Mel and the financial backing he has put into the club but does that make him immune from any criticism whatsoever?

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

a) Mel Morris. Mr Morris has throughout the relevant period been the owner and Chairman of the Club. He gave evidence about his purchase of Pride Park from the Club and the background to that sale. His witness statement also contained a considerable amount of evidence about the Club’s wider relationship with the EFL – a relationship which he characterises as i) Involving ‘dislike’ of him and the Club by the EFL ii) Him being an ‘enemy of the EFL state’, and iii) The EFL having an ‘axe to grind against [him] personally

22) Although we return below to address the Club’s suggestion that the EFL has been motivated to bring these Charges against the Club by some improper stimulus, we also make it clear at the outset that we reject that suggestion. The evidence that we heard and the documentary evidence before us simply did not bear out such an assertion.

He needed to be bigger than this and IMO it was a mistake to articulate it.  It was poor judgement and served no purpose apart from making the club look paranoid.  I have a lot of time for Mel and the financial backing he has put into the club but does that make him immune from any criticism whatsoever?

This isn’t “gobbling off” in public though is it, this is the tribunal behind closed doors which Mel and his legal team clearly felt was relevant to the case. 

It’s not about being the bigger man, it’s laying your case out and strongest defence. If that’s how he feels then why would you with held that? 

12 hours ago, David said:

It's time for action against the EFL, without fans football is nothing.

It's time for fans across the Football League to unite and show the EFL how unhappy we are, this isn't just about us, it's about the 72 clubs in this league being run by an organisation that is quite simply not fit for purpose. 

We can sing duck the EFL every week but it will fall on deaf ears, this needs to go further, this needs action where the EFL will sit up and take notice and listen to fans concerns as it can't continue.

They are ruining football as we know it.

Derby, Birmingham, Bury, Charlton, Wigan, Sheff Wed, Macclesfield.

It's time for a change, time for our voices to be truly heard and demand change, let's use this platform, the community we have built to stand against this organisation and work with other clubs to bring that change.

At a time where clubs are suffering financially, the clubs we love, make history not for the wrong reasons but for the good, let's come together now and make a difference.

How would we make a difference? What’s the plan?

Sorry to be pretty blunt - I always use the “now what” analogy..... everything is fluid and continuous in life.

Just now, David said:

This isn’t “gobbling off” in public though is it, this is the tribunal behind closed doors which Mel and his legal team clearly felt was relevant to the case. 

It’s not about being the bigger man, it’s laying your case out and strongest defence. If that’s how he feels then why would you with held that? 

Well it is clearly in public because we all know about it.   It wasn't me that said gobbing off either.  Bemoaning being picked on is not and was not a strong defence.

I don't want to debate this with you because you are not interested in accepting that Mel is anything short of perfect.  I understand why you are not but I just don't agree with how this has been handled.  We may be in for another 3 months of waiting for the next piece of news, oh what joy

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

How would we make a difference? What’s the plan?

Sorry to be pretty blunt - I always use the “now what” analogy..... everything is fluid and continuous in life.

Read beyond the first post and you will see me say I do not have all the answers, just that I believe it’s time we, not just Derby fans, but football fans let our voices be heard in a constructive manner. 

6 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Well it is clearly in public because we all know about it.   It wasn't me that said gobbing off either.  Bemoaning being picked on is not and was not a strong defence.

I don't want to debate this with you because you are not interested in accepting that Mel is anything short of perfect.  I understand why you are not but I just don't agree with how this has been handled.  We may be in for another 3 months of waiting for the next piece of news, oh what joy

I know it wasn’t you that said it, but you quoted a post of mine which was questioning his “gobbling off” with paragraphs taken from the tribunal.

There’s a difference between “gobbling off” in public and comments you make in a tribunal being made public.

But I guess that doesn’t matter now as you’re not willing to debate because I think Mel is perfect apparently.
Your choice, but the post you made had no relevance to the conversation I was in with another person.

19 minutes ago, David said:

Read beyond the first post and you will see me say I do not have all the answers, just that I believe it’s time we, not just Derby fans, but football fans let our voices be heard in a constructive manner. 

No worries - I just see a lot of people just think we should have no EFL as if it’s the silver bullet to all the problems. With no potential plan for after.

Its very much like the work I’m involved in, no silver bullet to end gambling harm etc 

13 hours ago, David said:

No link, just a topic to throw suggestions out there for our voices to be heard, enough is enough.

Let's use this platform and community to make a difference.

As Simon Jordan said, Clubs like Bury go to the wall, whilst the EFL meet and discuss the colour of the linesman’s flags. 

13 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

How can fans force a change? What mechanisms are in place to do it? I'm all for it, I just have no idea where to start. 

Yeah - I appreciate the sentiment of the thread, but it's a bit

What do we want? CHANGE!

When do we want it? NOW!

How will we get it? WE DON'T KNOW!

11 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

No worries - I just see a lot of people just think we should have no EFL as if it’s the silver bullet to all the problems. With no potential plan for after.

Its very much like the work I’m involved in, no silver bullet to end gambling harm etc 

I think most of us would agree that the EFL either needs to be 'restructured' (plan A) or replaced (plan B). The question we need to answer is how do we get from where we are now, to where we need to be. For plan A, that will require the backing from the majority of EFL clubs, whereas plan B would require backing from most of the 'big' clubs in the EFL, and the PL.

I think we ought to start a Fathers for Justice style campaign and target high profile locations and games.

Instead of dressing up as Batman, though, we could dress up in the full kit and scale the walls of Buckingham Palace to get our point across and put banners up saying duck the EFL.

May be a few pitch invasions too and a streaker on a live TV  game is always good but the camera men are crap nowadays and usually miss them.

Just now, Ghost of Clough said:

@David Have you considered speaking with the club?

I am reading this topic, taking notes, and considering the next move. Talking with the club has been mentioned a few times and it’s something I will possibly look to do, although I do feel this should be independent from the clubs.

To be totally honest, I was so pissed off last night when I wrote this which reactionary unplanned post. I’m actually struggling to get my head around why this morning, we knew this would happen, I guess I just hoped that we were wrong and the EFL would not waste more money from the clubs pot in what is an extremely difficult time financially for football clubs.

What they hope to achieve from this I’m not sure, looks nothing more than a bid to save face and keep Gibson happy.

Having run this forum for almost 12 years I’ve surprised myself how angry this has made me to the point of wanting to spearhead a campaign for our voices to be heard and change. 

Some will question the motives, is this just about Derby, I won’t deny that had this been another club this topic would not exist now, but it’s not just Derby, we’re just another club in a long list that have/are suffering from the EFL’s shambolic mismanagement and it has to stop.

1 hour ago, David said:

Ok maybe ‘gibbing off’ is a bit strong but he was very vocal and has made us a target of the EFL by throwing his weight around somewhat.  

18 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

I think we ought to start a Fathers for Justice style campaign and target high profile locations and games.

Instead of dressing up as Batman, though, we could dress up in the full kit and scale the walls of Buckingham Palace to get our point across and put banners up saying duck the EFL.

May be a few pitch invasions too and a streaker on a live TV  game is always good but the camera men are crap nowadays and usually miss them.

I know you’re only joking but the camera men don’t “miss” them. They deliberately avoid them in order to not draw attention to the incident. Or, in my case if I was to do it, to avoid upsetting and offending the viewers.?

6 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Ok maybe ‘gibbing off’ is a bit strong but he was very vocal and has made us a target of the EFL by throwing his weight around somewhat.  

Going by the tribunal comments it’s clear that Mel feels targeted, possibly over his vocal displeasure, although Steve Gibson has a lot to answer for threatening to sue the EFL if they didn’t take action.

We also somehow upset Kieran Maguire enough to write into the EFL to question our accounts.

It’s all a little bizarre really, as I mentioned when Mel has gone against the EFL it’s to get a fairer deal for all clubs, not just us, so it really would be interesting to know what rattled Gibson and Maguire.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

There are few things more important to voters than football. As was demonstrated when Brighton fans took over the council if I recall when the council hadn't helped with their ground problems. If there were enough votes MPs would be sure to apply pressure to the EFL. Obviously we're a million miles away from that, but this is why I think it is the most effective forum should there be a petition.

TBH there are a lot more important things that matter to voters than football, there are more important things to me which matter as a voter than football, football,sport in general comes way down the list of priorities to the vast majority of voters. Brighton fans took over the council house because the council were the landlords and wanted the ground for redevelopment. There are very few,if any, grounds in the EFL now which are owned by councils

Archived