v Reading (H) Match Thread

Day

26 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Do you imagine in a million years that Cocu (or anyone else) said, 'Don't pick up their main threat from corners', 'Drift away from the post as soon as the corner comes in', 'Andre, drift back and make sure you are completely unaware of the runner coming through the space where you should be' or such things.

Do you think we conceded two goals because the players were doing exactly what the manager told them to do?

No they did what they shoudn't be doing and this is down to management and coaching focus and concentration. Both basic errors - can you see any sense of urgency or inspiration - I just can't 

Also it not a matter of 'a runner in space' it's a question of defending a long ball from the keeper - either by closing off the keeper/delaying the take or defending high so the runner doesn't get the opportunity in the first place 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Change the system we play. Some believe that the way a team plays reflects the personality of the manager. So, slow, hesitant, unsure, over-systemic, cautious. . . As many are saying, this recipe of over-elaborate, laboured and timid will not work in the Championship. Either change the system or change the manager. Otherwise we will all sleepwalk through this season. 

Thing is Ella, get his system right & we wiill get the results we need to go up. The 5-3-2 is turgid as hell but it will get us the priceless 0-0, 0-1 away at Norwich for example.

I know its crap at the min but swashbuckingly teams dont win things, without a solid defence. I still remain convinced we can dominate teams when things click but like last Dec, more of a work of faith than evidence.

Genuine interest as I respect your opinion, worst came to the worst...who would your new manager be?

1 minute ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Thing is Ella, get his system right & we wiill get the results we need to go up. The 5-3-2 is turgid as hell but it will get us the priceless 0-0, 0-1 away at Norwich for example.

I know its crap at the min but swashbuckingly teams dont win things, without a solid defence. I still remain convinced we can dominate teams when things click but like last Dec, more of a work of faith than evidence.

Genuine interest as I respect your opinion, worst came to the worst...who would your new manager be?

Cocu....but Eddie Howe could probably do a job for us....

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

It’s a fair question. I would put Paul Simpson in charge with Van der Laan. Or Chris Hughton. Or Eddie Howe. I’m not sure otherwise but I’ve no real faith in the current regime. I don’t see progress. 

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I don’t get what the system is?

It isn’t working what ever it is. We are playing out from the back which is good but we aren’t playing with any intensity. Or players aren’t dominant enough whether that is the players or the style/system. My ideal way of playing would be play out from the back and move it up the pitch quickly and get an end product. What is happening we are slow at moving it forward and moves are breaking down before they get to the final third. Anything getting into the final third is either over hit under hit nowhere near the intended player or row z seat 568 near the corner flag. 

13 minutes ago, Jram said:

This level of captain hindsightness makes me sick 

If we win the next five, you aren’t allowed to celebrate ?

It's not being Captain Hindsight though, is it? You might not like or agree with my opinion. But the one thing it has been for weeks and months is consistent - about Cocu, the club, and us being in for a tough season.

Some say I'm negative, but I think it's unfair when you actually look at what is unfolding before us. It's probably fairer to say I'm just being realistic.

The one thing I'll give you though, I didn't think it would be quite so bad. Not laying a glove on a League Two side in the Carabao Cup and now losing meekly at home on the opening day. It's actually worse.

These were supposed to be our easier, kinder, confidence boosting fixtures before a tough October, after all...

Fact of the matter is, there has NEVER been a successful team in English football that has played a slow, boring game! Even the teams lacking quality, had extra pace and/or tempo. 

No doubt Cocu is a very clever and studious manager who’d succeed in many countries, but to succeed here, he needs to change. 

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It’s a fair question. I would put Paul Simpson in charge with Van der Laan. Or Chris Hughton. Or Eddie Howe. I’m not sure otherwise but I’ve no real faith in the current regime. I don’t see progress. 

Paul Cook he even made Chesterfield look good. I used to go in the international breaks and enjoyed going. 

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Obviously you didn't. You implied that fans who were moaning wanted 'immediate success' (and tried to water it down by saying your version of 'allegedly' which was 'appeared'. Does that make my point any clearer when I said too late for 'immediate'?

Obvious I didn’t but only to you Roy .... thought you said ‘we're a bit away from immediate success’ rather than ‘too late for immediate ....’ but have it your way. We’re not going anywhere with this, are coming at it from opposite ends and will never agree. Goodnight. 

Cocu’s style is very much the Dutch way. All through the youth teams passing the ball from side to side is a way to get young players used to match situations. The problem with playing that way is that it gives teams time to set and get ready to either press, or sit as a block. 

The system is good if everyone is comfortable with the ball. However, it is always going to be a task for a championship team to do it effectively. 

It cost Man City 100s of millions in order to get a team playing the way Pep Guardiola wanted. Derby don’t have them funds, so the club have give Cocu time to develop the squad. 

50 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Do you imagine in a million years that Cocu (or anyone else) said, 'Don't pick up their main threat from corners', 'Drift away from the post as soon as the corner comes in', 'Andre, drift back and make sure you are completely unaware of the runner coming through the space where you should be' or such things.

Do you think we conceded two goals because the players were doing exactly what the manager told them to do?

I saw the Watford Boro game last night. Warnock was absolutely livid about the goal that Boro gave away to lose the game.

I guarantee that Warnock didn't tell his players to go to sleep at the corner and allow a free header on goal. I also guarantee that his defenders won't be making the same mistake again as they will have been soundly told about it in the changing room afterwards.

Here lies the difference between Cocu and Warnock.

Lots of knee-jerk reactions.

No, today wasn’t good, but neither was that our starting 11 when the squad is fully fit. 
All this shows is that we can’t rely on the youth coming through to carry the first team. It shows we need some signings.

I’m not worrying too much about today’s result. It’ll be tough until players are fit again. 

Archived