Carabao Cup - Second and Third Round draws (Sunday 6th September)

Sean

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Hardly pointless. It'll give players a chance to get some match fitness after returning from injury (Rooney, Waghorn, etc?). It may also give the likes of JBrown, Ebosele, Archie Brown a chance to show what they can do - I'm sure you'd enjoy that?

We've hardly got a first team at the moment and on Saturday we have to fulfil under 18 and under 23 fixtures as well. 

I just can't see how we are going to do this and play midweek games as well. Maybe I am being unduly pessimistic but if this is costing the club money (it must be) and risking further injuries we can do without  then I am not sure I would enjoy it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, angieram said:

We've hardly got a first team at the moment and on Saturday we have to fulfil under 18 and under 23 fixtures as well. 

I just can't see how we are going to do this and play midweek games as well. Maybe I am being unduly pessimistic but if this is costing the club money (it must be) and risking further injuries we can do without  then I am not sure I would enjoy it.

I believe we have just enough players to field the 3 teams on Saturday without fielding 15 year olds in the U18 game. The injured players will be returning to the squad in the coming days/weeks, and we should have 3/4 new players over the next month (hopefully much sooner).

After this weekend, the U23 and U18 sides will rarely play on the same day throughout the rest of the season (as things stand), with the U18s only playing on Saturdays, and the U23s usually playing on Fridays and Mondays. There will be a clash mid-October and late-January.

We also have a small first team squad, so we will have to rely on some of the current U23/18s to step up for the odd game. It's good practice for them to be involved in the squad, even if it is to just sit on the bench, for the odd game.

Archived