Holiday Plans 2021

Sith Happens

Camping and cycling on the North Wales coast for the next few days (Sat to Weds).

Expecting sea views and mountainous backdrops from the tent, direct coastal bike ride from Penmaenmawr through Conwy, then round to Llandudno (20mile total return), and with the help of the car, another coastal ride from Rhos on Sea to Rhyl (24miles return).  Might push on beyond Rhyl, to Prestatyn (upping it to 32miles return) but see how that goes.  We've done it before (32miles is about our limit!) but we're a bit out of practice.  Not been on our bikes since September!

Shorts, sun hats, sunsets to die for, picnic lunches away from the masses, evening meals cobbled together on a single stove and Ridgemonkey, potwashing at the tent, and pissing in a bucket!  

Back to basics*, and back to living the dream, and for today, back to loading up the car to the gunnels!  Nice!   ?

*Not quite back to basics.  We do have mod-cons available, of course, but it spoils the overall effect of my post!  ?

8 hours ago, sage said:

It's UK only for a few good months yet. Luckily summer is here and there's loads of lovely places to visit.

The price of UK accommodation is currently ridiculous, plus the weather is variable at best.

There was supposed to be a 'reward' for being vaccinated other than being protected against serious covid.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The price of UK accommodation is currently ridiculous, plus the weather is variable at best.

There was supposed to be a 'reward' for being vaccinated other than being protected against serious covid.

In fairness, he did say ‘visit’! Not ‘stay’! 

13 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

In fairness, he did say ‘visit’! Not ‘stay’! 

So spend most of the holiday driving? Meh. If I'm going to get ripped off it'll be via covid tests not over-priced UK accommodation.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I managed to find fair priced accommodation for three 5 day breaks. Admittedly not in the school holidays. 

Camping, staying with friends, house swaps, travelodge/premier inns are all options. 

As someone who generally spends their spare money on travel rather than other pursuits, I really miss it, but you just have to be creative and make the best of things.

8 minutes ago, sage said:

I managed to find fair priced accommodation for three 5 day breaks. Admittedly not in the school holidays. 

Camping, staying with friends, house swaps, travelodge/premier inns are all options. 

As someone who generally spends their spare money on travel rather than other pursuits, I really miss it, but you just have to be creative and make the best of things.

We have had our Cornwall break booked for 2 years now. Other than that, it will be short UK breaks like we had in Blackpool last week (perhaps away cricket matches in the 'Divisions' split of the County Championship). Europe seems to be off the table for the next few months at least, so no plans made. If things change, then it doesn't take much time and effort to book something in Belgium or Holland.

Oh, and sort a new passport out in glorious blue and gammon. My proper one with the pretty stars only has 6 months left on it.

Edited by Eddie

8 minutes ago, sage said:

We do travel in the UK, out of school holidays. But I am not paying £640+ for a 4 night caravan break in Cornwall in early July that previous years was  around £100. 

You cannot get the foreign holiday experience in this country. 

5 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Oh I don't know. The weather looks like staying lovely for a couple of weeks & you can come & sit in my shed for a few hours if you want to simulate a flight delay.

Do you have trolly dollies? 

16 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

The worst bit was I researched World Cup 2022 dates to transfer the flights to next June, before actually realising the World Cup next year is in DECEMBER. So we paid an extra £80 each to change flights to July 2022, as it will be dead in June without a football tournament on!

Have you (or anyone else) looked into going to the World Cup in Qatar. It could be amazing if done right.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

We do travel in the UK, out of school holidays. But I am not paying £640+ for a 4 night caravan break in Cornwall in early July that previous years was  around £100. 

You cannot get the foreign holiday experience in this country. 

4 nights in a barmouth see view apartment cost £320.

Travelodge family room in Christchurch cost £40 a night. 

I'll rent you my house in Belper for £400 for 4 nights while I'm in Wales. I'm hiding all my booze though.

Joking aside, maybe we should set up a house swap on here. 

People put up their location, size of house and potential dates and match up. Free accommodation.

46 minutes ago, sage said:

I'll rent you my house in Belper for £400 for 4 nights while I'm in Wales. I'm hiding all my booze though.

Joking aside, maybe we should set up a house swap on here. 

People put up their location, size of house and potential dates and match up. Free accommodation.

If you can guarantee the weather...does Belper pubs still have topless barstaff?! ?

just for info, in case it affects anyone on here...

As we all know, Eurotunnel bookings can be amended to travel any time within 12 months of the initial booking date...

We had a return crossing booked first half of June 2020.  Obviously cancelled.  No refund, but full credit was offered in the form of a voucher code sent by email, which needed to be activated by 31st May 2021 (Allowing for travel dates within 12 months thereafter, so May 2022.)

That voucher has now expired and is worthless.  However, before that happened, I went on their website, clicked a button or two, and effectively replaced that voucher with an updated one.

I now have a new voucher code, valid for booking up to May 30th 2022, and thus travel dates up to end of May 2023.

Now just to clarify, this is a 100% cash credit, to the value of £180 in my case.  If crossing prices have trebled by the time we finally return to France, then obviously it won't look quite so good, but all in all, I'm very happy with this arrangement, and applaud Eurotunnel for their very fair approach to this whole sorry mess!

St. Ives the day after the G7 is due to finish which I didn't know (and can't believe) is being held there... if I can't get to Seal Island because Bozo and Biden insist on a ring of steel around Cornwall I'm gonna be pee'd off. Staying in essentially student digs for £100 a night, not including parking which is going to be interesting. Still not been to Cornwall for about ten years so will be nice.

Then Wales in August in a swank country hotel which will be nice provided we're allowed to cross the border.