Invasion of midges

uttoxram75

Anyone else been invaded by irritating little midges recently.

I don't mean the annoying plastic Leeds eejits popping up everywhere, its tiny little gnat like things infesting the kitchen/living room.

The wife is like a demented Dr. Strangelove, nuking and napalming the little feckers, bleaching everything and everybody in sight, and although it looks like they are slowly retreating to the dark recesses of Kenny Burns crevice, or wherever they come from, its took 3 or 4 days to repel the beasts.

Is it the wet, warmish weather conditions, global warming, covid, brexit or the absolute bamford up the road who burns toxic waste in his log burner when its still 20 degrees C at 20.00 hours every night?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been sent this @uttoxram75 from @Eddie who is currently on the naughty step

Ask him if his missus has lots of house plants, especially in windows. It sounds to me as though what he has is ‘fungus gnats’ – little bleeders that lay eggs in potting compost. They can be eliminated by using dilute hydrogen peroxide solution sprayed on the soil (cheap solution), or by the application of nematodes (expensive solution)

19 minutes ago, David said:

I've been sent this @uttoxram75 from @Eddie who is currently on the naughty step

Ask him if his missus has lots of house plants, especially in windows. It sounds to me as though what he has is ‘fungus gnats’ – little bleeders that lay eggs in potting compost. They can be eliminated by using dilute hydrogen peroxide solution sprayed on the soil (cheap solution), or by the application of nematodes (expensive solution)

How does he get on the naughty step when all he posts is recipes?

A particularly evil Chilli, perhaps?

1 hour ago, David said:

Yep, we had house plants in the window, also fruit bowl nearby as Boycie pointed out.

Who'd have thought Boycie was clever like Eddie?

are they both banned?

3 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Anyone else been invaded by irritating little midges recently.

I don't mean the annoying plastic Leeds eejits popping up everywhere, its tiny little gnat like things infesting the kitchen/living room.

The wife is like a demented Dr. Strangelove, nuking and napalming the little feckers, bleaching everything and everybody in sight, and although it looks like they are slowly retreating to the dark recesses of Kenny Burns crevice, or wherever they come from, its took 3 or 4 days to repel the beasts.

Is it the wet, warmish weather conditions, global warming, covid, brexit or the absolute bamford up the road who burns toxic waste in his log burner when its still 20 degrees C at 20.00 hours every night?

Definitely wet weather, and greenery. West coast of Scotland is horrendous in the summer. 

5 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yep, we had house plants in the window, also fruit bowl nearby as Boycie pointed out.

Who'd have thought Boycie was clever like Eddie?

are they both banned?

We can ban Boycie if you like, not sure anyone will notice 

Sounds like these may be thunder flies or corn flies. We had a similar problem annoyingly they somehow got into a flat screen tv - got trapped beneath the screen between lenses and were visible once you’d noticed them you saw them every time. Currently the Tv is away having them removed and unfortunately not under guarantee! 

Archived