Free agents

IslandExile

On one hand, you'd expect out of contact players to be joining clubs straightaway - security for the player, integration into the team before the new season for the club.

But that doesn't seem to be happening. Are budgets now so tight, in this Covid world, that clubs are seeing what's available and calling bluff on wages?

There hasn't been any rumours of interest regarding Chris Martin or Tom Huddlestone.

We've also seen the plea from Marcus Maddison for someone to take him on. There's interest on here about Jordan Ibe - but with folks fearing his wage demands will be too high. Will that be the case now though - it seems to be a buyer's market and some players may struggle to find clubs.

Are they all waiting for offers from the MLS or China? That doesn't appear to be happening either.

Weird times.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Like most industries, agents will be loath to advise their client to accept lower wages & hold out for a best possible offer. Any acceptance of more realistic wages drives the market overall down & most players will have agents with a number of players on their 'roster'. I do think there is an element of brinkmanship going on which will only be sorted when the season starts & the realisation dawns that they're not earning or playing. Think there will be a lot of activity in Oct & Nov.

Dont doubt for a second clubs have enquired about Martin, Huddlestone & Maddison but if they're being quoted 20k a week wages (for example, I dont know that as a fact), clubs will be reluctant to commit to that given no guarantees about biggest source of future income (gate receipts). Also for players with little or no resale value (those beyond 30), that risk is even greater as no potential upside of developing & selling on.

My understanding of free agents, players who have no contract with a club, can sign for a club outside of the transfer window. So we may not see many of these players being picked up till after the window is closed, which I think is at the end of October this season. By then the new season will be well on it's way and managers will then know if they need to strengthen their existing squad and the type of player required.

As each week goes on & they’re not earning, their overall earning potential is decreasing along with it, so makes financial sense to accept a lower wage, if that makes sense.

the grass isn’t always greener on the other side(or pitch)

good point made in previous posts too about lack of match fitness the longer they don’t play & lack of resale value for some.

come on Chrissy, you know it makes sense.... ?

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

My understanding of free agents, players who have no contract with a club, can sign for a club outside of the transfer window. So we may not see many of these players being picked up till after the window is closed, which I think is at the end of October this season. By then the new season will be well on it's way and managers will then know if they need to strengthen their existing squad and the type of player required.

A very good point. I saw somewhere that 1400 players are out of contract at end of June. Some will have done deals but I'm guessing 1000+ will be available. How good they are is debateable how fit they are is less so. Should we get one in say October they won't be match fit till December when the next windows looms. 

There may be the odd gem out there, but are our recruitment teams good enough to find them?

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

There could be some brinkmanship by agents waiting to see what’s the best offer.

expect a mad rush in the last few hours.

Just to complicate matters there are two 'Final day mad rushes' of the transfer window this season.

The International transfer window (including Scotland) runs until 11pm on October 5th.  There is then a domestic transfer window for England between the PL and EFL clubs only, which runs from October 5th to October 16th at 5pm - permanent and loan deals can be done during this period.  We won't know our final squad, and might not know whether Chrissy and George are coming back, until we're 4 games in (not including cup matches). 

The only good thing is that European squads have to be announced on October 6th so the pressure on those clubs to have English registered players in not on during the second period.

So it will be like Autumn sales, getting rid of over stocked goods, half price bargains, two for the price of one, try before you sign return within 30 days etc

There will be mad scramble for agents to get players clubs as deadlines loom, willing to do deals, short term deals, pay as you play performance related salaries  just to stay in the professional game.

The power may just be shifting slight back to the clubs from the players/agents due to Covid.

Why is a Championship player worth £1 million a year. If he scored 10-15 goals in a season so that is worth £1 million a year. Bizarre idea really, especially for sitting on a bench.£50,000 a year is a lot of money in my opinion. What level of employee in Business or Medicine or IT gets £1 million a year.

Archived