Emmanuel Idem - Signed on a free transfer

Heisenberg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly surprising

Made one appearance for our U23s on trial back on 25th Feb. It sounded like he did well enough in that game tbf, but he wasn't seen again until now.

Before that he was last seen making 3 appearances for Canvey Island in January (in the BetVictor Isthmian League North, football pyramid level 7 or 8), the second of which came about because their regular keeper had to attend a wedding so couldn't play.

Know nothing about the lad, but the deal makes sense in principle. He can become the first team third choice goalkeeper, allowing us to loan out Ravas for him to get some first team experience. Hopefully another talent for the future we can develop with the U23s too. Though if he’s any good, a one year deal seems a bit weird - you’d expect something more long term.

On Shay Givens latest interview he said he wants to send Ravas out to play football as he's ready to start getting experience. I think this is more like cover for Ravas, with Roos sticking around to compete with Mitchell.

3 minutes ago, Shang said:

On Shay Givens latest interview he said he wants to send Ravas out to play football as he's ready to start getting experience. I think this is more like cover for Ravas, with Roos sticking around to compete with Mitchell.

Isn't Mitchell on loan at Northampton?

We've basically swapped Josh Barnes (released) for Manny Idem.

Ravas goes out on loan and Idem gets a chance to prove himself in the U23s for a season.

Worth noting that Josh Shoniabre came to us initially on a  1 year deal from a non league club, played well for the U23s and is now part of the first team training group.

If he's been playing non league at his age its better than academy football. Proper mans football. I'd Imagine he's been brought in as third choice behind Marshall & Roos and just cover while Ravas goes on loan

Also its good to have a decent 3rd choice around the club. First choice Marshall will be training with the GK coach. Its good to have a decent 3rd choice training with the 1st team at shooting practice. You cant smash balls at you're 1st choice for hours on end. 

Just out of curiosity, while P and S, FFP, wage bills ...and all that is talk of the week, what do we all reckon a kind of 3rd choice young un for development gets as a wage ? .. 600 a week - 1000 a week ? I struggle to us paying more that 52K a year for that status level in the pecking order in the current climate.

And what really is a first team squads basic weekly wage .. I don’t mean the headline grabbers pre Covid. I am guessing somewhere between 5 and 10 k ? 

'They' used to say that black players made rubbish keepers. 'They' used to say that Alec Williams at Man City was an anomaly. I know we've got a way to go but it also amazes me sometimes to think these were views that were held in my lifetime. We have come a long, long way.

Good luck son, hope you have a belting career here (or just don't drop it, that would be a start).

Archived