Neil Hallam

Andrew3000

A few of us went off topic on another thread reflecting on journalism and I realised I always used to read the Trader for Neil's opinion pieces that could be quite analytical and critical at times.  

Wonder if anyone knows if he is still alive? Surely retired?

I did a quick Google and found this- totally forgot Lionel banned him! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/that-was-the-weekend-that-was-5640984.html%3famp

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always pithy and to the point. Liked his work. Sadly I am not sure he fitted with all the “managed content”  BS That we get spoon fed these days. I want to watch football, support my team and get revealing tips and gossip from behind the scenes.

”managed content” as a phrase belongs in a large sealed dustbin, along with “franchise” and “match day  experience”  It’s baby food for those lacking love, emotion, passion and the ability to hope and dream without “merchandise” being shoved down their throats 

Neil was a good journalist, but an even better wordsmith - he really did paint pictures with words. His columns should be collated into a book.

Although a Trader columnist for many years, he actually worked for (and, for a while, owned) Raymonds Press Agency - where I knew him - and was a Daily Telegraph football and cricket correspondent for many years.

High-grade, old-school football reporter who knew Derby inside out. Nothing happened at the BBG without him and Gerald (Mortimer) knowing about it within minutes!

Great bloke, spoke to him a couple of years ago with some info on the Wasserman stuff, he didn't know me but knew my old man for years, must have spent a good 2 hours talking Rams and journalism in general (I initially trained as a journalist back in the day)

Derby was a hub for great journalism, especially Raymonds Press Agency, likes of Neil, Terry Lloyd, Trevor East all Derby lads.

Was very impressed when he told me that he worked on World In Action, proper investigative journalism which unfortunately is dying out worldwide.

Some of the stories he told about the Rams, bloody hell!

15 hours ago, Andrew3000 said:

A few of us went off topic on another thread reflecting on journalism and I realised I always used to read the Trader for Neil's opinion pieces that could be quite analytical and critical at times.  

Wonder if anyone knows if he is still alive? Surely retired?

I did a quick Google and found this- totally forgot Lionel banned him! https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/that-was-the-weekend-that-was-5640984.html%3famp

As i remember it there was a bit of afters from some reporting when Fearn bought from Maxwell as a broker because Maxwell didn't like Pickering, then wasn't so keen to move across.  

Further down in the report a new Forest striker is mentioned.  Good old Andrea - the gift that kept on giving

Andrea Silenzi may be champing at the bit but not so the other Serie A exports seeking to settle in Britain.

18 hours ago, jono said:

Always pithy and to the point. Liked his work. Sadly I am not sure he fitted with all the “managed content”  BS That we get spoon fed these days. I want to watch football, support my team and get revealing tips and gossip from behind the scenes.

”managed content” as a phrase belongs in a large sealed dustbin, along with “franchise” and “match day  experience”  It’s baby food for those lacking love, emotion, passion and the ability to hope and dream without “merchandise” being shoved down their throats 

Superb Sir!. Totally agree with your view - proper football fan fibre! Love also the use of the word "pithy". Like a succulent sweet but sharp orange that brings refreshing zeal and zest. 

4 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Yes Ernie was his dad

I remember Ernie Hallam and his mate Phil (can't remember his surname) used to run pub games nights in the Sportsmans Club back in the 70s and 80s

Remember the other guy's name now.  It was Phil Henry

5 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Yes Ernie was his dad

I remember Ernie Hallam and his mate Phil (can't remember his surname) used to run pub games nights in the Sportsmans Club back in the 70s and 80s

Ernie Hallam !! A loyal Derby fan and organiser of the Roadrider/official coaches for many years.

Nice chap but bloody hell, he could smell a concealed tin of McEwans Bitter from 20 yards the old scroat. 

19 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Ernie Hallam !! A loyal Derby fan and organiser of the Roadrider/official coaches for many years.

Nice chap but bloody hell, he could smell a concealed tin of McEwans Bitter from 20 yards the old scroat. 

It's because he wanted it for himself lol

3 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Superb Sir!. Totally agree with your view - proper football fan fibre! Love also the use of the word "pithy". Like a succulent sweet but sharp orange that brings refreshing zeal and zest. 

Love the sir .. but really I am an old grumpy goat, garters and knighthoods of any ilk are absent .. zeal and zest a nice bit of alliteration there ???

as a laugh .. an English teacher (pure bred sod that he was) once wrote on my 13 year old’s essay .. “you try to write in an advanced style ... and fail” .. helpful fellow 

1 minute ago, jono said:

Love the sir .. but really I am an old grumpy goat, garters and knighthoods of any ilk are absent .. zeal and zest a nice bit of alliteration there ???

as a laugh .. an English teacher (pure bred sod that he was) once wrote on my 13 year old’s essay .. “you try to write in an advanced style ... and fail” .. helpful fellow 

He was being very harsh @jono

Archived