The Brentford Way

Andrew3000

Hold on, Sky said that Brentford’s everyone’s favourite second team.  But, they’ve been promoted to the Prem.

Sky said Leeds are everyone’s favourite second team though?  

There’s only one way to sort this out……fight!   

or spy at the training ground.

22 minutes ago, David said:

Beat Villa, this isn’t even a topic. Fine margins.

Great opportunity to lose out Premier League record, so there’s that to look forward to I guess.

But we didn’t and they did. ??‍♂️
The last para is properly clutching at straws yoof. Let’s see but we could possibly be reviewing this in May 22.

8 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

But we didn’t and they did. ??‍♂️
The last para is properly clutching at straws yoof. Let’s see but we could possibly be reviewing this in May 22.

Do you think this topic exists if we won the game of football against Villa? 

5 minutes ago, David said:

Do you think this topic exists if we won the game of football against Villa? 

Yes.. Why would it not? it’s about running a club within your means and with the resources you have available to you.  If Brentford come straight back down, I would be surprised if they change ethos too much. Let’s wait and see..

They are almost the polar opposite to us in so many ways bar the rich owner, one spunks money all over the place on an ego trip, the other had a plan and had the nads to stick to it when things didn’t happen straight away..

2 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes.. Why would it not? it’s about running a club within your means and with the resources you have available to you.  If Brentford come straight back down, I would be surprised if they change ethos too much. Let’s wait and see..

They are almost the polar opposite to us in so many ways bar the rich owner, one spunks money all over the place on an ego trip, the other had a plan and had the nads to stick to it when things didn’t happen straight away..

Really? I can’t see it. We’re sat in the Premier League, over £100m to spend on players and we would be sat here saying, I wish we was like Brentford in the Championship.

Were the QPR, Villa, Bournemouth fans having broke FFP to get promoted saying the same, tell you what, we’re here but this doesn’t feel good. We should be more like Brentford.

As I say, fine margins, just 90 minutes from celebrating hitting the jackpot or ripping the clubs to pieces.

To a degree, i think @Davidis right in terms of whether i would have been that arsed to start this thread if we'd been Prem.  That wouldn't stop me being interested and admiring of how other clubs are managed though.  

We can stop the debate about whether they have achieved anything ( still not sure why we can't value relative progress but never mind) and even if they tank in the Prem that will remain true. Certainly will be interesting to see if their strategy changes now.

55 minutes ago, David said:

Really? I can’t see it. We’re sat in the Premier League, over £100m to spend on players and we would be sat here saying, I wish we was like Brentford in the Championship.

Were the QPR, Villa, Bournemouth fans having broke FFP to get promoted saying the same, tell you what, we’re here but this doesn’t feel good. We should be more like Brentford.

As I say, fine margins, just 90 minutes from celebrating hitting the jackpot or ripping the clubs to pieces.

That’s football now.. You can’t diss Brentford for what they have achieved  how they have done it. What would you prefer, their model or ours?

1 hour ago, David said:

I hear what you're saying but Brentford are run in such a way that they don't gamble. They don't gamble the future of their club.

We have. And it's gone catastrophically wrong. Of course had we been promoted it wouldn't have mattered. But there was always the chance it wouldn't happen. Had Brentford not gone up, I don't think they would be in huge trouble.

If things are well run off the field, you will eventually get the success on the field.

2 hours ago, David said:

Great opportunity to lose out Premier League record, so there’s that to look forward to I guess.

I was genuinely about to propose a bet with you. £10 to the charity of your choice if Brentford go down, and £10 to the charity of my choice if they stay up.

But then I remembered you don't honour bets.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I was genuinely about to propose a bet with you. £10 to the charity of your choice if Brentford go down, and £10 to the charity of my choice if they stay up.

I wouldn’t be able to take your school dinner money off you.

3 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Not only stay up mid table for me 

On 30/05/2021 at 11:00, Rammy03 said:

I hear what you're saying but Brentford are run in such a way that they don't gamble. They don't gamble the future of their club.

We have. And it's gone catastrophically wrong. Of course had we been promoted it wouldn't have mattered. But there was always the chance it wouldn't happen. Had Brentford not gone up, I don't think they would be in huge trouble.

If things are well run off the field, you will eventually get the success on the field.

They do gamble though - it's just that they are smart about how they do it. Their wage bill is 186% of their income. They survive by developing players and selling them on. Without selling them on (or getting promoted) they would go bust pretty quickly.

It has been said many times about Brentford but it is all about quality recruitment and their confidence in their ability to be successful that allows them to spend so much on wages. We tried it with Bielik and he would be worth a lot of money if he didn't get such bad injuries (Thorne too). 

They have done brilliantly but I'm always sceptical about such successes as I've seen the Swansea/Watford/Bolton/Stoke/Bournemouth/Portsmouth Way as the best way to run a club but they all fail eventually (bar Leicester on current trends).  

3 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

They have done brilliantly but I'm always sceptical about such successes as I've seen the Swansea/Watford/Bolton/Stoke/Bournemouth/Portsmouth Way as the best way to run a club but they all fail eventually (bar Leicester on current trends).  

Spot on.

Leicester’s recruitment has been quality, they’ve wasted some money as well, impossible not to. If we’re looking for role models, they would be up there on the top of the list before the likes of Brentford come into play.

But it wasn’t long ago that Swansea were the team to be, the football they were playing, the recruitment, but all that fizzled out. 

Brentford’s will fizzle out now that Brexit has reduced the pond they have to fish in, with no academy to fall back on I think they will struggle in all honesty to replace players when they start to leave.

They could have been easily 90 minutes from a completely different direction, as Villa were when they played us.

What a time to get promoted, nothing against their fans, hope they enjoy it….apart from that pillock HK Ram who’s now apparently a Brentford fan. 

I like to think it was him behind the crazy seat patterns in the new stadium.