Your First XI

sage

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

But he was getting chances. For example, the easiest game I can think of to demonstrate was the Barnsley game. He should have scored 4 goals in that, but he got the 1 shinned finish. His finishing wasn't good enough last year.

Yes but they weren't just tap ins, he was in physical pain whenever he went for a shot, he mentioned this on a podcast. This would make sense as too often he just wasn't himself, wasn't chasing the ball down, not making runs, lazy efforts on goal etc.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

Yes but they weren't just tap ins, he was in physical pain whenever he went for a shot, he mentioned this on a podcast. This would make sense as too often he just wasn't himself, wasn't chasing the ball down, not making runs, lazy efforts on goal etc.

Some of the chances in that one were tap ins. It makes me feel like there was no real point in including him the season just gone if it was truly that bad. He didn't offer a lot and if he was in a lot of pain would have been just as well to get him surgery earlier than we did.

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Some of the chances in that one were tap ins. It makes me feel like there was no real point in including him the season just gone if it was truly that bad. He didn't offer a lot and if he was in a lot of pain would have been just as well to get him surgery earlier than we did.

I agree, can't understand why it wasn't done earlier or why it wasn't communicated to the fans. I can't really blame Jack though, what can you do if you're in pain every time you strike the ball. He shouldn't have been playing.

Marshall

Bogle   Te Wirek  Fozzy   Lowe

Bird      Shinnie

Waghorn   Sibley    Lawrence

Rooney

Hopefully Clarke in and moveFozzy either to left back or on the bench.

So tough as it stands but would have to be Marshall, Bogle, Wisdom, te Wierik, Lowe, Bird, Rooney, Lawrence, Sibley, Whittaker, Marriott. Maybe Holmes in if he's back to himself, maybe Rooney out if he's playing like post lockdown Rooney.

GK: Marshall/Roos/Ravas

LB: Lowe/Forsyth/Buchanan

LCB: Clarke/Davies/Forsyth

RCB: Te Wierik/Wisdom

RB:Bogle/Wisdom

CDM: Bird/Shinnie

CDM: Rooney/Bielik

CAM: Sibley/Holmes

LW: Lawrence/Knight

RW: New/Waghorn/Whittaker

ST: New/Marriott

Need: RW, ST

Sell: Malone, Jozefzoon, Bennett, Evans

Youngsters to get game time

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Assuming no ins or outs, Bielik fit...

Marshall

Bogle.  Wisdom.    TeWierik.  Lowe

Bielik.   Bird

Sibley.    Rooney.  Lawrence

Marriott

Key word: fluid.

Front four to interchange positions.

Bielik to drop into a back three when required, allowing Bogle & Lowe to operate as wingbacks.

The Rams are going up ? (subject to EFL clearance).

Very close to how I would have it (assuming no further additions). In an ideal world, I'd like Knight & Bird in front of the back 4 but am mindful that Wisdom and Te Wierik aren't dominant in the air so would need Bielik screening if they were our starting CBs. I think Evans is under-rated at CB & slightly better in the air than Wisdom so might swap there depending on quality of opposition's aerial attack.

I would definitely move Rooney up the field - his best work should be utilised in tight spaces in the final 3rd where his touch & vision can open up defences & his strength can enable us to retain possession higher up the field. His presence further back would make our build up play too static & we've got enough quality in those holding midfielder positions now. Would love to think we could have a full season of playing Marriott up top - think he'd benefit with those 3 behind him & particularly from little flicks round the corner from Rooney but I remain unconvinced we can rely on him.

Sibley at RW/right inside forward could well work too - he tends to run that channel but he & Lawrence could always swap depending on pattern of attacking play.

Assuming we sign Clarke, with everyone fit and no one else through the door: 

Marshall

Bogle     TeWierik        Clarke        Lowe

Bird                 Bielik

Waghorn               Sibley              Lawrence

Rooney

It's going to be a season full of injuries, covid concerns and just general nonsense. I'd imagine that it would be rotated a lot so I don't think there is anyone at all in our squad that won't have a part to play. We will have to see how Te Wierik is too, perhaps he becomes a backup to Wisdom and Clarke who did show promise as a partnership last season. 

Marshall

Bogle/Wisdom/te Wierik/Lowe

Bird

Waghorn/Sibley/Rooney/Lawrence

Marriott

Knight for Rooney every 2 -3 games, and Shinnie/Bielik as a second defensive midfielder for tough away fixtures.

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Assuming we sign Clarke, with everyone fit and no one else through the door: 

Marshall

Bogle     TeWierik        Clarke        Lowe

Bird                 Bielik

Waghorn               Sibley              Lawrence

Rooney

It's going to be a season full of injuries, covid concerns and just general nonsense. I'd imagine that it would be rotated a lot so I don't think there is anyone at all in our squad that won't have a part to play. We will have to see how Te Wierik is too, perhaps he becomes a backup to Wisdom and Clarke who did show promise as a partnership last season. 

This is probably mine too, assuming Clarke comes. 

Marshall 

wisdom. MTW waiting Forsyth     

Bird Rooney 

waghorn.   Sibley.    Lawrence     

Marriott 

i have put in defenders who defend first and foremost because it makes a difference! Whilst waiting for Clarke to possibly re- sign if he doesn’t currently wisdom would have to slot in there and Marriott needs make the spot his own or spend the season on the bench at best 

• 2 weeks later...

In view of potentially losing Lowe and Bogle to the Blades. 

Do we go 3 at the back with Bielik/Evans playing Beckenbauer role?

Can Holmes be used as RWB (think he did a little bit at Scunthorpe). 

I'm not a fan of right foot players playing on the left and vice versa as its not natural and in my mind slows the play down or makes it awkward taking extra touches (unless your Robben or Kanchelskis ?). 

Marshall 

Dutch.   Bielik.  Clarke. 

Holmes.          Bird.          Buchanan. 

Lawrence. Rooney. Sibley. 

Waghorn

Roos, Forsyth, Wisdom, Evans, Knight, Whitaker, Marriott. 

Marshall

Te Wierik   Bielik   Clarke

Holmes  Shinnie  Rooney  Bird   Forsyth 

Lawrence or Sibley

Waghorn or  Marriott 

There are gonna be signings in attacking areas so personal will probably change and formation could do as well to 3-4-3 or 4-2-3-1?

1 hour ago, Franks Tanked said:

In view of potentially losing Lowe and Bogle to the Blades. 

Do we go 3 at the back with Bielik/Evans playing Beckenbauer role?

Can Holmes be used as RWB (think he did a little bit at Scunthorpe). 

I'm not a fan of right foot players playing on the left and vice versa as its not natural and in my mind slows the play down or makes it awkward taking extra touches (unless your Robben or Kanchelskis ?). 

Marshall 

Dutch.   Bielik.  Clarke. 

Holmes.          Bird.          Buchanan. 

Lawrence. Rooney. Sibley. 

Waghorn

Roos, Forsyth, Wisdom, Evans, Knight, Whitaker, Marriott. 

If we’re not going to bother showing him respect and using Te Wierik’s proper name, perhaps we should go with

Scottish

Dutch.                              Polish.                   English

American.                        English.                  English

Welsh.                              English.                 English

English

Keeps our options open.

Marshall

Wisdom   Te Wierik   Clarke

Ebosele                                        Buchanan

Bielik          Bird

Lawrence

Waghorn            Sibley

Roos / Forsyth / Rooney / Shinnie / Holmes / Whittaker / Marriott

* I like Franks Tanked's team ^^^ tbh

I think if we get the signings in that Cocu wants (2 wingers and a striker) and Bogle and Lowe leave we could now see a line-up something like this for league game 1:

Marshall
Wisdom, te Wierik, Clarke, Buchanan
Rooney, Bird
NEW RW, Sibley, NEW LW
NEW ST

On paper, that's a strong defence. These attacking signings really are going to be key though.

Johnny Russell would stroll into this side. He was one of our weaker links at one point. 

I'd be checking that there's no loophole to get John Brayford, Gareth Roberts and Ben Davies back playing for us. 

Without a few signings I don't think it's fair to expect top half.

8 minutes ago, ramboy63 said:

Going on the last two performances Sheef Utd and Barrow if there is no more incoming its going to be a long season

I know we were not at full strength but no depth i the squad at all

Agreed, with lowe and bogle going that further decreases depth , I think I'd take last years squad over this years so far , bar marshall , hopefully we get some attackers that we wanted and not just last minute squad filler like blackman and Butterfield etc

Archived