Your First XI

sage

10 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Totally disagree. I think that even without a signing, we have enough talent to get top 6.

In the 2nd half of last season we scored enough points to be a top six team. No reason we can't continue that next season. 

Knight, Sibley, Bird will continue to get better. Bielik back. Dutch Mike to come in. Marriott recovered from his op.

Feeling confident.

With the current squad we may be able to sneak top 6. A left sided CB is a must, and a right winger would be preferred if we’re to have a solid season.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carson
Bogle-Wisdom-Bielik-Dutch Mike-Lowe 
                     Rooney-Bird
            Sibley-Marriott-Lawrence

Probably need a good 4-5 signings to have a real go at top 6 otherwise we're in for another midtable finish, in my opinion. Keeper, centreback, winger (or two) and striker.

I'd go for this if there were no ins in the next few weeks:

Roos

Bogle, Wisdom, te Wierik, Lowe

Rooney, Bird, Sibley

Whittaker, Marriott, Lawrence

On paper this is a solid mid-table Championship side IMO. We could definitely do with 3-4 additions if we want to push on and challenge for anything... whether we can get those players in or not though is another question.

46 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roos
Bogle   Te Wierik   Evans   Lowe 
Bird   Rooney
Waghorn   Sibley   Lawrence
Marriott

Subs: Ravas, Wisdom, Davies, Forsyth, Holmes, Shinnie, Knight, Whittaker, Bennett

The toughest positions to choose are LCB and RW (Waghorn at RW determines Marriott starts at CF). Bennett gets solace on the bench over Jozefzoon as he covers the CF position. 

Evans at centre half? Over Wisdom?

Roos

bogle.    Te weirik.  Wisdom.   Lowe

Bird.      

Holmes       Knight.      Sibley.    Wilson

Waghorn                          

a bit crazy but Wilson is naturally left footed.
Holmes v shinnie depending on the formation.

Holmes might have a bit more pace than knight

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Roos

bogle.    Te weirik.  Wisdom.   Lowe

Bird.      

Holmes       Knight.      Sibley.    Wilson

Waghorn                          

a bit crazy but Wilson is naturally left footed.
Holmes v shinnie depending on the formation.

Holmes might have a bit more pace than knight

I dont know if it’s the Stellas 

But who tf is Wilson? 

Carson

Bogle / Wisdom / Te Weirik / Forsyth / Lowe

Bird / Rooney

Holmes / Waghorn / Lawrence

Overlapping centre backs Sheffield Utd style, with two centre backs who are also comfortable as full backs in Wisdom and Forsyth. Holmes can cover Bogle as he has been a right back in his career. Lawrence can drift in as a 10 coming in from the right if needed. Waghorn dropping back to midfield to act as link up (would much prefer if we kept Martin).

Roos

Wisdom Bielik Forsyth

Bogle                                 Lowe

Rooney    Bird

Sibley

Waghorn              Lawrence

Flexible back three that allows Lowe and Bogle in particular to push forward. Also gets Rooney and Bird playing with the ball further up the pitch as opposed to how deep they were in the final few games of the season. Obviously Sibley playing no.10 with Waghorn and Lawrence stretching the pitch. I like getting Lawrence closer to goal as well, too many of his shots are low percentage and from range.

You can easily see how Holmes, Marriott, Te Wierik, Shinnie, Whittaker and Knight would fit into that team in their own way. Would be particularly good for Marriott and Whittaker.

Roos

Te Wierik     Bielik    Wisdom 

Bogle                 Bird                       Lowe

Rooney            Sibley  

Marriott       Lawrence 

Wisdom played left back comfortably so I’d trust him LCB, plenty of energy  around Rooney.

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roos
Bogle   Te Wierik   Evans   Lowe 
Bird   Rooney
Waghorn   Sibley   Lawrence
Marriott

Subs: Ravas, Wisdom, Davies, Forsyth, Holmes, Shinnie, Knight, Whittaker, Bennett

The toughest positions to choose are LCB and RW (Waghorn at RW determines Marriott starts at CF). Bennett gets solace on the bench over Jozefzoon as he covers the CF position. 

4 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Evans at centre half? Over Wisdom?

Bringing some realism to the thread with Carson heading to Man City and Bielik injured for the first part of the season, GoC nails the team. Wisdom had a handful of good games but has failed to make a big enough impression overall. Evans is clearly never going to be a midfielder, but has always impressed and looked the part as a cultured ball-playing centre half. Plus there's the left/right thing but I've always thought that's overrated and a centre back should be able to play in either slot.

When Bielik is fit he battles Rooney and Bird for a place (as Bielik has never impressed at centre half either but really looks the part to me in midfield). But with games inevitably coming thick and fast, I think we'll need to rotate to keep things fresh anyway.

Archived