What to do about Rooney this season?

IslandExile

What to do about Rooney this season?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I agree with others who say that Rooney should be more advanced. We need more mobility in the back 4 and midfield 3, if indeed 433 is the preferred system.

With our current squad, it's got to be Beliek and Te Weriek at the back.

I can't see past Bird, Sibley and Knight as a midfield 3. Yes, it's very young and inexperienced, but all 3 are learning very quickly, used to playing together, have bags of energy, and might just surprise a few people. Away from home against steam of cloggers (Stoke, Millwall etc.) we could start Shinnie, or drop Rooney back.

Bur Rooney playing slightly behind Marriott or Waggy, with Lawrence free to roam, could just work. Someone mentioned Sheringham earlier. I'd also throw in Nigel Clough. Never quick, but always in the right position because of his football brain.

If we bring other players in, then might have a rethink. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By Our own admission we didn’t get what we thought we were getting. We thought we were getting a striker or a no10. 
unfortunately his lack,of mobility means he is another deep lying midfielder. Whilst his passing is good, and his influence is a benefit, as a player he is very limited.
Even if we are only paying half the reported £4m salary, that is a lot of money we can’t really justify when we are on the brink ffp-wise. It was an interesting idea but sadly the reality is more circus freak than ringmaster.

the situation has changed since we decided to bring him in. We now have bird, knight, and Sibley. Build the central midfield around those three. I’d prefer us to move away from two holding players, but if we have to have two then shinnie brings a better mix. Evans and Holmes can cover bird and knight. Bielik has a lot to do to prove his value, but presumably he should also be ahead of Wayne given the amount we have invested in him. 

what we really need is cover for sibley, but wazza can’t play that role, and a seat on the bench won’t please him or the sponsors. 

I know what Peter Taylor’s verdict would be. 

24 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

@RamNut i cannot agree that Rooney lacks mobility. The issue is lack of discipline in the role he plays. He doesn’t conserve energy cos he’s trying to play about three roles at same time. 

This is how I see it. The guy has no less enthusiasm as he did at 16 but in a 34 year old body. He loves it, he gives as much for Derby as he did for United/England/Everton. He clearly takes every game 100%, as far as effort goes he’s the ultimate pro. His only negative (if you can call it that, seems very harsh) is he can’t turn it off and therefore is knackered by the end of his game.

that said, who am I to complain that Wayne Rooney puts too much effort in to representing Derby County? We are so lucky to have him here.

For what it’s worth I’d love to see him play more advanced. I’d trust Bird, Sibley and Knight as my midfield 3 despite being so young. 

It's his last season with DCFC and he is on big bucks. We need to 'drain every last drop of the well' that is Wayne Rooney. As we are unlikely to be making any signings, Rooney should be pushed up front with Bird playing in the deep role, probably along side Shinnie. 

On 14/08/2020 at 23:22, Sweetness34 said:

This is how I see it. The guy has no less enthusiasm as he did at 16 but in a 34 year old body. He loves it, he gives as much for Derby as he did for United/England/Everton. He clearly takes every game 100%, as far as effort goes he’s the ultimate pro. His only negative (if you can call it that, seems very harsh) is he can’t turn it off and therefore is knackered by the end of his game.

that said, who am I to complain that Wayne Rooney puts too much effort in to representing Derby County? We are so lucky to have him here.

For what it’s worth I’d love to see him play more advanced. I’d trust Bird, Sibley and Knight as my midfield 3 despite being so young. 

Agree on almost everything here. However I’d give the underrated Shinnie a chance in there as well. I think due to his injuries he’s never quite got a decent run in. Also like the idea of Holmes and Knight off the bench. Rooney in behind a hopefully fully fit and firing Marriott would be good.

23 hours ago, europia said:

It's his last season with DCFC and he is on big bucks. We need to 'drain every last drop of the well' that is Wayne Rooney. As we are unlikely to be making any signings, Rooney should be pushed up front with Bird playing in the deep role, probably along side Shinnie. 

As we are looking for a goalie , winger and centre forward I thinks it’s highly likely we will make signings. Might be some ins and outs plus Mel usually manages to surprise us. 

15 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

image.thumb.png.a531c20da52bccc7ab7944297d7388b9.png

Not sure if this has already been put up but found this graph online. Shows Rooney's impact in terms of goals (also shows how good Wisdom and Bird have been). 

Thought I'd just seen a black & white photo of West Ham running out?

On 14/08/2020 at 05:13, Anag Ram said:

TBH I think it depends on how fit he is when he returns. 

He has looked slow so far and his spacial awareness and experience will only get him so far. 

If he's a bit sharper he should play, certainly for the first part of the season. 

When Bielik returns and is fit, I think he will take Rooney's place and Rooney will start to focus on his coaching. 

My thoughts too

I'd like to see a relatively settled line up with Rooney as a 10. Given a bit of time he'd work nicely with Lawrence (I've given up on him being a 10 himself), someone who cuts in from the right, and a poacher like Marriott. Also allows you to put him on set pieces without losing cover. Also you'd assume he'd hit a fair amount of 20 yarders in open play with at least some success. 

Of course Rooney can't play week in week out or necessarily the full 90 so you rotate him and Sibley as necessary, either in the starting line up or off the bench. 

He hasn't got the legs for centre mid, and not someone like Eustace who has played there for 15 years where experience can make up for lacking that bit of pace.

Get Bird and Shinnie forming a partnership there and you get workers who can do the more basics more effectively and feed ball wide or forward.

I can't see anything other than Rooney partnering Bird until Bielik is back though.

22 hours ago, Rample said:

I'd like to see a relatively settled line up with Rooney as a 10. Given a bit of time he'd work nicely with Lawrence (I've given up on him being a 10 himself), someone who cuts in from the right, and a poacher like Marriott. Also allows you to put him on set pieces without losing cover. Also you'd assume he'd hit a fair amount of 20 yarders in open play with at least some success. 

Of course Rooney can't play week in week out or necessarily the full 90 so you rotate him and Sibley as necessary, either in the starting line up or off the bench. 

He hasn't got the legs for centre mid, and not someone like Eustace who has played there for 15 years where experience can make up for lacking that bit of pace.

Get Bird and Shinnie forming a partnership there and you get workers who can do the more basics more effectively and feed ball wide or forward.

I can't see anything other than Rooney partnering Bird until Bielik is back though.

I don't want to see Sibley being rotated with anyone! 

On 19/08/2020 at 00:03, DCFClks said:

image.thumb.png.a531c20da52bccc7ab7944297d7388b9.png

Not sure if this has already been put up but found this graph online. Shows Rooney's impact in terms of goals (also shows how good Wisdom and Bird have been). 

Well done DCFCIks!

The team's effectiveness can be measured in many ways - but the key measure is how many goals are scored - and although I do not know which games the graph covers - it certainly paints a rosy picture of Rooney's influence.

Even if the criticisms that have been made in this thread about Rooney's role, fitness and positioning are valid - those points are still less important than the impact that he has on goals being scored. (It's not quite that simple - but this graph is an excellent point, and deserved a few more "Likes", I think.   

Archived