What to do about Rooney this season?

IslandExile

What to do about Rooney this season?  

198 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a luxury to have England and Man United's all-time greatest goalscorer, tip-tapping little passes and taking the ball off the centre backs. He is becoming slow and static in his play, he hasn't got the engine to really drive play. I would hope Bird and Bielik would do that role better. 

It seems an indulgence to me. We need his quality where it matters and he should use his energy Teddy Sheringham style, score goals /hold up the ball, dictate play where it really matters, otherwise he will have to just be an impact player. 

We over played Rooney and he couldnt keep up with the demands of the champ. He cant play every game. We need Rooney at his best and that means rotating him with others so he can rest. 

Bird and Beilik need to build a partnership for our long term fix. 

It’s a difficult one really. He’s definitely a midfielders nowadays, but I’m still not sure whether he’s best in the two or on his own in number 10. On the one hand, he’s defensively very suspect which leaves us vulnerable to the counter when he plays in CDM. But equally, playing there allows him to get on the ball more often and dictate games, which is what we need a player of his stature to be doing at this level. Maybe he’d be better alongside the more defensive minded Bielik, who would perhaps cover for his mistakes better? Of course, moving him to number 10 would also solve that problem, as well as allowing him to get more involved in the final third - where he will obviously be a significant danger. But playing him there brings its own problems. If we’re struggling to control a game he will see very little of the ball, which will be an obvious waste of his talents. There’s also the pace problem as well - him in number 10 behind Martin was horrible to watch because of the total lack of pace and energy it left us with up front. But maybe with a faster striker and right winger brought in over the summer, we will be able to play Rooney there whilst still having a decent balance up front?

I think the simple answer for now is that he will play CDM alongside Bird for at least the first block of games, until Bielik is back fit. After that I suppose we will assess how well Bird and Sibley are performing, as well as the fitness of Bielik, and decide what to do with Rooney based on that. It’ll be a tough call on who to leave out. In terms of how often he should play, I think @Srg summed it up perfectly - pre-lockdown Rooney is our best player and starts every game, post lockdown Rooney is our worst player and shouldn’t be anywhere near the team. I remain hopeful that his form after the break was mainly down to the heavy schedule of games, and not the result of him declining in ability just yet. To that end, as a former world class player and our captain, Rooney starts every game when fully match fit at this level.

I imagine he'll start the season alongside Bird, depending on transfer business - but I'd like to see him used as a CF option once Bielik is fit. 

At the point we have 2 better DM options, imo.

As I started this topic, I would like to thank everyone for an intelligent, considered argument on all sides.

As someone else said, I'm surprised the majority feel he should stay as a deep lying midfielder. Personally, I think we have Bird and/or Bielik, even Shinnie, to play that role with more energy.

I would like to see him play centre forward, in the Martin role with Sibley, Marriott, Lawrence, Knight, Waggy and others taking the places running off him.

Anyhow, thanks again.

He'll play that deep role again. 25-30 games. Sometimes on his own, sometimes in a deep pair. He'll still be worth the entrance fee on his own as often as not with his touch, passing and set pieces, and some days he'll get caught. We'll swing from saccharine sweet adoration to visceral hatred. 

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Surprised how many want him to be sitting fairly deep, quarterback style. Think we have other players who can do that who are more mobile too. 

His striking of a ball and picking a pass in the last third where there appeared to be nothing on, seemed to me to be his greatest skills. I would have him playing as center forward (in place of Martin) or playing just off Waghorn or Marriott, either as a 10 or at the tip of midfield. Sibley's continued development would eventually move him into retirement. 

My initial reaction to this (as with similar suggestions before he joined) was that this wasn't workable & that Rooney himself would want to play deep lying midfield. 

I still believe he would prefer that position but also wonder if there is merit to him playing up top. Let's look at who he'd be replacing - a strong, intelligent, technically adept but immobile striker - seems fairly like for like to me. There is an argument that Rooney in fact would start to inhibit the midfield if he was a regular starter there next season. Firstly, his presence deters the likes of Bird and Knight from taking charge of that area & secondly, we're going to need much more energy & tempo in that area to break through high/hard pressing opposition. We needed him there in January but the development of Bird/Knight/Sibley since then means Rooney's considerable influence should be deployed elsewhere.

How could Rooney work at CF? Clearly he needs plenty of pace & runners around him - I believe the addition of quick wingers/inside forwards in addition to Sibley and a young dynamic midfield (Bird/Holmes/Knight) would provide enough support for Rooney. His role would be to hold the ball, lay off intelligent passes & finish chances that come his way - all of which he is very capable of doing. In essence he would still be the pivot of the side albeit from a much more advanced position.

In my eyes Rooneys main weakness is that he wants to be involved too much. Explaining this- he drops deeper all the time to try dictate play but with the strength we have anyway in the holidng areas I would like Rooney further forward. He is a goal scorer and by dropping deep we lose that threat with him. 

Get him in the 'No.10 role' and allow Bielik/Bird/Shinnie to do a job behind.

Personally, I think he needs to play a more disciplined role. He doesn’t offer enough tackling/intercepting to forego his creative/attacking vision. 

He was far too “Robbie Savage” in the last handful of games, which shows he cares, but ultimately upset the balance of the team, whilst rendering him far too ineffectual and not influencing the game. 

There’s absolutely ZERO benefit of him collecting the ball from a sweeper position and very little benefit of him being in our own half when WE have possession. 

For me, he’s still first name in the team sheet but he’d be forbidden from entering the defensive third of the pitch, and I’d be demanding he be way more advanced in the first phase of transition and moving forward, not backwards to collect the ball! 

I’m somewhat worried that this “quarterback” nonsense has distracted him from playing his most effective game. 

4 hours ago, jimbobram said:

We over played Rooney and he couldnt keep up with the demands of the champ. He cant play every game. We need Rooney at his best and that means rotating him with others so he can rest. 

Bird and Beilik need to build a partnership for our long term fix. 

Might be that we are required to play him on a fairly bregular basis as part of the 'sponsorship' deal though

Who knows

Bogle.      Te Weriek.     Beliek.        Lowe

Bird.         Shinnie

waghorn.           Sibley           Lawrence

Rooney

Ravas/Roos

Wisdom

Evans

Forsyth

Holmes

Whitaker

Marriott

Not the worst squad assuming we get a goalkeeper!

23 minutes ago, Igorwasking said:

Who knows

Bird.         Shinnie

waghorn.           Sibley           Lawrence

Rooney

Ravas/Roos

Wisdom

Evans

Forsyth

Holmes

Whitaker

Marriott

Not the worst squad assuming we get a goalkeeper!

No room for Knight?

Could go for;

Who knows

Bird

Knight.                                Holmes

Sibley

Marriott            Rooney

Ravas/Roos

Wisdom

Evans

Forsyth