Jacob Murphy

Heisenberg

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

No thanks. Seen him a few times and have never been particularly impressed. Picks up decent numbers, but his all round game doesn’t seem to back it up. Wouldn’t be an improvement on what we’ve got imo. Most links from TeamTalk tend to be BS anyway.

How can he not be an improvement on what we have? When our only out and out winger is Jozefzoon. 

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

How can he not be an improvement on what we have? When our only out and out winger is Jozefzoon. 

Lawrence and Holmes are both better in that position imo. We don’t really play with out and out wingers, and I’m not sure I’d call Murphy one either.

8 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Lawrence and Holmes are both better in that position imo. We don’t really play with out and out wingers, and I’m not sure I’d call Murphy one either.

Mate surely you aren't serious?

Whilst I'm not saying Murphy would be an absolute game changer of a signing. He's a winger, with pace who's direct which is exactly what we need.

Lawrence isn't a winger and he likes to drift inside leaving us with no width. 

Holmes isn't a winger either. Like Lawrence/Waghorn they want to play through the middle and will drift inside. This is why we are crying out for a winger.

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

We don’t play with them because we don’t have any! 

Out and out wingers are a dying breed and as @Millenniumram on one of his rare occasions is correct, we don't really play with wingers anyway.

Inside forwards they are called now, right footers playing on the left, putting the full back on his arse, laying it off or cracking a shot off. 

We're no longer in the 4-4-2 days where you have 2 wingers hugging the touchline, whipping balls into a big man in the middle. We was, and for a time thats exactly what we needed, but we've moved on now. 

Problem is, we've tried to put strikers out there that "can" put a shift in out wide, Waghorn for example, Now I know some will say he's not a striker either as he needs 10 attempts for one goal, but come on, when a striker is moved around into several positions, loses a bit of confidence these things happen. 

18 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Mate surely you aren't serious?

Whilst I'm not saying Murphy would be an absolute game changer of a signing. He's a winger, with pace who's direct which is exactly what we need.

Lawrence isn't a winger and he likes to drift inside leaving us with no width. 

Holmes isn't a winger either. Like Lawrence/Waghorn they want to play through the middle and will drift inside. This is why we are crying out for a winger.

Is it though? As far as I can tell, Cocu’s favoured system is the 4231 which imo only functions correctly when you’re playing inside forwards. Which is exactly why Cocu has been playing the likes of Knight out of position there rather than Jozefzoon. Obviously the fact that the latter is useless doesn’t help either, but I’d say that Knight being more suited to our style of play is more of a contributing factor to Cocu’s thinking than people give it credit for.

Clearly getting a winger in that improves upon our current options is a massive priority, and we could really do with that being a player with pace and skill as we lack both those attributes across our team. No argument from me on that account. But what we don’t need imo is an old fashioned run to the byline and whack it in type player. We don’t play that way, nor do we have a strike force that’s suited to getting on the end of crosses like that.

Not saying Murphy is that type of player btw, just saying we need to be careful that we get the right sort of player. We’ve had years of poor recruitment of players unsuited to our style of play, we need to make sure that doesn’t continue. The problem I have with this link is I simply don’t rate the lad. Simple as that. I know we need a winger, but we need one who’s top quality. Few players performances for other teams stick in my head, but for some reason Murphy stands out. And not in a good way. I’ve seen him quite a few times and I seem to remember thinking he’s bank every time. If you look back I said exactly the same about Dowell last summer while everyone was bigging him up. I might be wrong of course, I have been many times before, but that’s my opinion on the lad.

Archived