Exam Results.

1of4

How fair will this years exam results be?

Why are the results that have been estimated by a pupil's teacher in collaboration with the school's head  and other teachers not being accepted by the exam boards.

Yes a few teachers may have over estimated the grades in some cases. But I'm sure the majority of teachers are honest and professional in giving a pupil the correct estimated grade. Also wouldn't a teacher who personally knew the pupil and what they capable of achieving, be in a better position estimating true grade, than some faceless exam board who judge what grade a pupil should get solely on the school they attended.

Why should pupils who have worked hard to deserve a good grade, be then marked down purely because they attended a school which had a poor pass rate in previous years.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

How fair will this years exam results be?

Why are the results that have been estimated by a pupil's teacher in collaboration with the school's head  and other teachers not being accepted by the exam boards.

Yes a few teachers may have over estimated the grades in some cases. But I'm sure the majority of teachers are honest and professional in giving a pupil the correct estimated grade. Also wouldn't a teacher who personally knew the pupil and what they capable of achieving, be in a better position estimating true grade, than some faceless exam board who judge what grade a pupil should get solely on the school they attended.

Why should pupils who have worked hard to deserve a good grade, be then marked down purely because they attended a school which had a poor pass rate in previous years.

The un-moderated grades in Scotland were 10% higher than last year, so to keep some integrity in the system they were revised downwards.

Even honest and professional teachers have every motivation to round the numbers up a bit.

1 hour ago, Van Wolfie said:

The un-moderated grades in Scotland were 10% higher than last year, so to keep some integrity in the system they were revised downwards.

Even honest and professional teachers have every motivation to round the numbers up a bit.

As everyone's grades been down graded by 10%  or just those of pupils who attended certain schools.

With the Minister of Education in Scotland being asked to look into how the grading system was implemented. Along with Conservative SMPs also querying the fairness of the downgrading. It looks as if there may have to be a full review of the grades given out in Scotland.

Which will probably cause a few questions to be asked of the grades handed out in England.

I find your views on the honesty and professionalism of all teachers rather disconcerting. I'm sure the teachers who post on here will be upset by the views you have of them.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

I find your views on the honesty and professionalism of all teachers rather disconcerting. I'm sure the teachers who post on here will be upset by the views you have of them.

Just stating facts. A 10% jump in results in one year is pretty much impossible. 

The Scottish parliament have decided to reinstate the original estimated grades. Look as if they belive in the honesty and professionalism of teachers. 

1 hour ago, Van Wolfie said:

Just stating facts. A 10% jump in results in one year is pretty much impossible. 

Yes a 10% jump is high. If the exams had taken place as normal then yes some pupils due to a number of factors wouldn't have obtained their estimated grades, some would have even improved their grade. So the percentage rise in results would probably be lower than 10%.

By it's very name the grade were an estimate. An educated guess by the people we trust to teach our children.

How can it be fair to select a child to be down graded purely on the school they attended.

Yes some pupils may now be awarded a grade they wouldn't have obtained if they had sat the exam. 

But in these unusual times is it not better to err on the higher grade than to punish a child for no fault of their own.

44 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

The Scottish parliament have decided to reinstate the original estimated grades. Look as if they belive in the honesty and professionalism of teachers. 

The fools.

Teachers have been forced into a dog eat dog world of exam performance adulterating by the financial impact of league tables.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Yes a 10% jump is high. If the exams had taken place as normal then yes some pupils due to a number of factors wouldn't have obtained their estimated grades, some would have even improved their grade. So the percentage rise in results would probably be lower than 10%.

By it's very name the grade were an estimate. An educated guess by the people we trust to teach our children.

How can it be fair to select a child to be down graded purely on the school they attended.

Yes some pupils may now be awarded a grade they wouldn't have obtained if they had sat the exam. 

But in these unusual times is it not better to err on the higher grade than to punish a child for no fault of their own.

What happens next year when the results go back down again? This year’s will look fixed and devalued. It’s about upholding the integrity of the system.

Grades are moderated every year.

I do agree that doing it according to the past quality of the school is harsh, however.

52 minutes ago, sage said:

The fools.

Teachers have been forced into a dog eat dog world of exam performance adulterating by the financial impact of league tables.

Quite right. I’m not having a go at teachers with what I’ve said but they are human, not some paragons of unbreakable virtue and morality. 

They have been too generous with the grades. I would probably have been the same in their position. 

3 minutes ago, Van Wolfie said:

What happens next year when the results go back down again? This year’s will look fixed and devalued. It’s about upholding the integrity of the system.

Grades are moderated every year.

I do agree that doing it according to the past quality of the school is harsh, however.

There is no easy answer. I wasn't having a go at teachers earlier, just explaining they have been backed into this position.  

6 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think kids who go to private/grammar schools should be given the highest grades and kids who go to schools in poor areas should be downgraded the most.

If you go to Eton you are entitled to an A minimum of course. 

Isnt that what the "adjustment" based on previous result supposed to achieve ?

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

If you go to Eton you are entitled to an A minimum of course. 

Isnt that what the "adjustment" based on previous result supposed to achieve ?

I'm sure the teachers at Eton wouldn't cheat when it came to estimating the grades of their pupils. Unlike all those untrustworthy teachers that over estimated the grades of their pupils at the local comprehensive.

10 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

I'm sure the teachers at Eton wouldn't cheat when it came to estimating the grades of their pupils. Unlike all those untrustworthy teachers that over estimated the grades of their pupils at the local comprehensive.

If there is one place you would expect they can teach how to cheat/scam your way to the top (and stay there) Eton would be it.

20 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

They might, of course, upgrade them even more considering that parents able to afford to educate their children privately have a wide range of choice as to where they spend their £40k a year and will no doubt judge a school's success by its place in the qualification based league tables slightly more than someone sending their child to the local comprehensive.

Of course that £40k a year also buys and funds class sizes around 15 rather than 30, access to a huge range of well funded, well taught extra-curricular activities and sport on top class pitches, to pupils who have largely been selected by success through a competitive process.  You might expect, therefore, that in general their educational performance (if GCSE/Alevel passes is a measure) might be above average

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Well the younger members of our society learnt a valuable lesson today. That getting screwed over by the controlling elite is something that they'll have to get accustomed to.

Give them all A* for everything. All schools get rated Outstanding & equality for all. Problem solved.

Good grief.

The education authorities have done the best they could in unprecedented circumstances.

Some kids will have got away with a lucky break, some will have been harshly treated.

There was no viable alternative that anyone has brought to my attention, so lets just crack on.

Archived