Harry Wilson - just sayin'

IslandExile

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Without wishing to be overly pedantic, 6 out of 18 isn’t ‘most’.

And we shouldn’t use his outstanding free kick ability to detract from our assessment of his ability. It’s very much part of his game, and it certainly shouldn’t be discounted. 

6 off the top of my head, might be more.

Not using his free kick ability to detract from my assessment of his ability, already said I think his general play was average.

Interested to know what areas you think he was above average in?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt anyone on here thinks that Wilson is as good as Mount.

All I'd add is that Wilson appeared far less effective during the post-Accrington spell when Mount was out of the side. His best games always seemed to coincide with Mount playing.

Nonetheless, a fantastic set piece taker, and always, ALWAYS looking to attack the opposition, I loved watching him.

I was sat in the Alex Ferguson Stand with my Manure supporting son (who had bought the tickets as a birthday present for me)  when that free kick flew in. I was, for obvious reasons, sat ON my hands, but he turned round to me and said "Phwoar, WHAT  a free kick that was!"

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

6 off the top of my head, might be more.

Not using his free kick ability to detract from my assessment of his ability, already said I think his general play was average.

Interested to know what areas you think he was above average in?

I just think players who get tarred with the ‘apart from his goals, he’s average’ brush get done a disservice. His goals alone made him one of the best players in the league.

As for other parts of his game that are above average, I think he has good vision and passing ability (case in point the assist for Mount in the Play Offs) and an excellent work rate (see West Brom away, where him and Mount played together in central midfield and were outstanding). He was also obviously one of the best, if not the best, finishers from outside the box (in open play) in the league.

45 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I bet you that Beckham wouldn’t have “bent  a water sodden casey ” ?

Imagine half of today's Facebook/Instagram preened primadonna's on a February Baseball Ground pitch?

I reckon Hinton could still land one on a sixpence in a pair of steel toe-capped wellies?

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Imagine half of today's Facebook/Instagram preened primadonna's on a February Baseball Ground pitch?

I reckon Hinton could still land one on a sixpence in a pair of steel toe-capped wellies?

Let’s not pretend Hinton wouldn’t be one of the biggest primadonnas in the league if he was born in 1995.

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Let’s not pretend Hinton wouldn’t be one of the biggest primadonnas in the league if he was born in 1995.

.............. but he did play on one of the "worst" pitches in the league. I suppose if he didn't like the mud, that's why he stayed out wide?

4 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

There's absolutely no chance we're getting him back anytime soon.

However, he was criminally underrated by our fans. People definitely took him for granted while he was here.

Yes fair point. I could never understand that.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, DesertRam said:

I seem to remember Idiakez scoring a few worldies from set pieces, I can't remember if he was as

good as Wilson thou!

He probably was at free kicks. Weird how he could score from 35 yards with no issues, but from 12 yards he was hopeless. Also seemed to be insistant on trying to score direct from a corner, which he did eventually do after wasting countless ones before it.

16 hours ago, IslandExile said:

There are many others who have scored more goals for Derby County than Harry Wilson but I doubt that there are many with such a high proportion of high quality strikes.

Some great team goals and high pressure penalties aside, the superb strikes from outside the box are incredible. It got to the stage where a free kick was almost as good as a goal....what a portfolio.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2020/08/every-Derby-county-goal-harry-wilson

We couldn't borrow him again, could we?

Or do we have to get promoted, just so we can buy him? ?

No chance...just sayin ?

21 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Totally different footballs though. 
I would like to see what prime Hinton or Rioch would have done with modern day footballs. 
I bet you that Beckham wouldn’t have “bent  a water sodden casey ” ?

Would defo have snapped his girly meta-tarsal on one of those bar stewards ?

20 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Absolutely. He did have a phenomenal ability to put it on a button. Cross-reference with Tom Lawrence’s and Bogle’s slices onto Derwent Parade ?

2 hours ago, Will the Ram said:

Value increased by him having 3 years remaining on his Liverpool contract according to that article. 

Why would that be the case? Surely the two facts are not directly connected?

On 09/08/2020 at 17:48, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

he was criminally underrated by our fans. People definitely took him for granted while he was here.

I did not get that impression, it was my impression that until Mount got injured and we saw what we were missing Wilson was rated higher by a lot of fans.

Do not get me wrong both are great players and I would love them both back, but it was Mount all the way for me. But I do not think I took Harry for granted - loved having them both - especially in a midfield three with Hudds - a couple of times that looked sublime 

Archived