Harry Wilson - just sayin'

IslandExile

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, DesertRam said:

Can you imagine Wilson, Mount and Hughes playing together and the intuitivness 

and creativity that would bring, pie in the sky,  but you can dream eh!

Then a team of cloggers rock up, beat us 2-0 with goals from corners and injure all 3 for the season with "50/50" challenges.

I'm looking at you stoke.

55 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Couldn't get in a Bournemouth team scrapping for promotion, tells you a lot.

Luxury player who, set pieces aside, didnt really offer much to our team and I'm guessing it was the same at Bournemouth. 

He played 31 times in the Prem for them last year and thats with him missing several games through injury. don't really think you can argue he couldn't get in their team. He was also their second highest scorer (although thats not saying much). He was and would be great at Championship level, but there is no way we could afford him.

I actually think it would be interesting if Leeds got him - see if Bielsa can develop some of the more lacking areas of his game.

He’s established himself as a pretty decent lower end Premier League player now, absolutely no chance we can bring him back to the championship. I suspect Liverpool will be looking for a loan with a view to a permanent now anyway as he’s never going to make it there. Our only hope of getting him is if they loan him out to a team which gets relegated next season and thus can’t afford him the following summer - if we were to get promoted this season, we could then nip in and sign him permanently next summer. 

24 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He played 31 times in the Prem for them last year and thats with him missing several games through injury. don't really think you can argue he couldn't get in their team. He was also their second highest scorer (although thats not saying much). He was and would be great at Championship level, but there is no way we could afford him.

I actually think it would be interesting if Leeds got him - see if Bielsa can develop some of the more lacking areas of his game.

Beat me to it. 7 goals in 31 games in his first season in the Premier League.

25 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He was taken off at half time in a 2-0 home defeat by Crystal Palace and then didnt start any if the next 9 games.

Was decent at Championship level, not sure he will cut it at Premier Level.

Other than his set pieces I can't thing of any other part of his game that was outstanding at Championship level.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He was taken off at half time in a 2-0 home defeat by Crystal Palace and then didnt start any if the next 9 games.

Was decent at Championship level, not sure he will cut it at Premier Level.

Other than his set pieces I can't thing of any other part of his game that was outstanding at Championship level.

This.

He had a handful of genuinely good games.

He’s in the weird position of being average at everything, save for having one of the best left-foot shots in world football. 

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Quite possibly, if its only his goals that count though it seems strange that Bournemouth didnt play him.

Luxury player who, set pieces aside, didnt really offer much to our team and I'm guessing it was the same at Bournemouth. 

Promotion from the Premier League....?

Most of those goals were set pieces though and aside from that don't think he brought much to the team.

A big leap to assume he would have scored 18 goals in this team.

You’re simultaneously arguing that he’s a set-piece merchant (which he isn’t - most of his goals came from open play) and that it’s a ‘huge leap’ to suggest he’d get 18 goals this season. Unless we’ve won a load less free kicks this season, I can’t see how that’s logical.

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

10 times the player of his countryman Lawrence. I know who I'd rather have in our side.

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

You’re simultaneously arguing that he’s a set-piece merchant (which he isn’t - most of his goals came from open play) and that it’s a ‘huge leap’ to suggest he’d get 18 goals this season. Unless we’ve won a load less free kicks this season, I can’t see how that’s logical.

Dont think we get in as many attacking positions under Cocu as we did under Lampard. Just my general perception and could easily be wrong.

Without thinking back too much, I can think of at least 6 of his goals that we free kicks of penalties.

7 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

10 times the player of his countryman Lawrence. I know who I'd rather have in our side.

In terms of general play I dont think there is much between the two.

Obviously would rather have Wilson based on his goalscoring.

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

In terms of general play I dont think there is much between the two.

Obviously would rather have Wilson based on his goalscoring.

Notice how many of those goals involve Jack Marriott too. I hope the lad comes-out fighting fit (for probably the first time since he signed) when we go again next season?

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

I used to say, without hesitation, that Bruce Rioch was the best striker of a free kick that we'd ever had but I think Wilson tops him. He was that good for us ? who cares about Bournemouth?

Totally different footballs though. 
I would like to see what prime Hinton or Rioch would have done with modern day footballs. 
I bet you that Beckham wouldn’t have “bent  a water sodden casey ” ?

42 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Without thinking back too much, I can think of at least 6 of his goals that we free kicks of penalties.

Without wishing to be overly pedantic, 6 out of 18 isn’t ‘most’.

And we shouldn’t use his outstanding free kick ability to detract from our assessment of his ability. It’s very much part of his game, and it certainly shouldn’t be discounted. 

Archived