8th August 1970

GB SPORTS

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

This:

I was there with my little brother (bless him!) and my dad. It was so packed that we had to go in the Ossie End.

The result was never in doubt but all teams took this, the first sponsored football competition, very seriously.

A year later The Rams also wonThe Texaco Cup, by beating Airdrie at the BBG. We were at that game too and had to dodge beer cans etc on the PopSide.

These competitions, plus winning the Central League, diidn't stop us winning the First Division Championship in 71-72.

THAT was a TEAM!

PS... I was 20 six days after we won the Watney Cup!

10 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

I was there with my little brother (bless him!) and my dad. It was so packed that we had to go in the Ossie End.

The result was never in doubt but all teams took this, the first sponsored football competition, very seriously.

A year later The Rams also wonThe Texaco Cup, by beating Airdrie at the BBG. We were at that game too and had to dodge beer cans etc on the PopSide.

These competitions, plus winning the Central League, diidn't stop us winning the First Division Championship in 71-72.

THAT was a TEAM!

Happy Birthday for next Friday.

Yes i was in the Ossie end too, sitting on the little ledge at the back of the terrace. 

My Dad took me to all three games including the game at Fulham the week before and the semi against Sheffield United.

If i remember rightly we were only in the competition because we were embargoed from the Fairs Cup.

Some things don't change do they. 

4 hours ago, Brummie Steve said:

THAT was a TEAM!

I think I’ve got a load of Texaco Coins somewhere at my mothers with football teams or players on them.

Archived