Lockdown losses

Barron

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

The stupid thing is, that a lot of owners are rich enough to cover the losses and would be happy to do so (within reason) but because for FFP rules they wont be able to.

The most annoying thing about it.

The EFL should allow all football clubs to inject money that covers any losses in income.

It's funny how sky can threaten to take legal action for loss of earnings, yet football clubs that aren't in a European competition are left to try and survive.

After everything dies down I can see there no longer being a league 2 and wouldnt surprise me if league 1 went also.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The most annoying thing about it.

The EFL should allow all football clubs to inject money that covers any losses in income.

It's funny how sky can threaten to take legal action for loss of earnings, yet football clubs that aren't in a European competition are left to try and survive.

After everything dies down I can see there no longer being a league 2 and wouldnt surprise me if league 1 went also.

Regional leagues maybe? 

There was a plan a few years back for 5 leagues of 20 teams, seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Could be worth reviving, 3 leagues fully professional, then 2 regional leagues below that with mostly P/T clubs.

A much better way to look at this is how much does it cost to run the club regardless of Income

i imagine it is circa 15- 20 million PA at our level -  leaving out mega transfers  ... so how does a generic championship club generate income to cover that cost when there are no ticket sales. ? 

1 minute ago, jono said:

A much better way to look at this is how much does it cost to run the club regardless of Income

i imagine it is circa 15- 20 million PA at our level -  leaving out mega transfers  ... so how does a generic championship club generate income to cover that cost when there are no ticket sales. ? 

Cat 1 academy running costs between £5m and £6m, according to everything I've seen.

Infrastructure spending, improving and maintaining the training ground and stadium, probably a million or two each year.

That's a £7-£8 million per season loss that doesn't even count under P&S rules.

Add on our owner has been willing so far to push right upto the £13m investment for the 1st team per season, year after year, and you can see it's takes at least £20m per annum just to stand still!

Leave the stadium purchase out, after all he's purchased an asset for it's market value, so he's no worse off on paper.

Now factor in Covid, a quarter of a season with very little revenue, I'd be surprised if it was 20% of the usual all told, but almost all of the cost.

It's hard to see next season being any different in terms of revenue in, and expenditure out.

The PL rules on minimum standards of Academy are going to have to change post Covid.

We simply won't be able to afford to run a Cat 1 academy with the money we have available, the same will apply to all teams below to the PL, and even some in it.

We're lucky to have a fan owner, but we've probably taken a fair chunk of his disposable income for no tangible improvement, and he can't sustain that surely?

14 hours ago, Barron said:

Reports in of how much each championship club has lost over lockdown...

https://fanbanter.co.uk/how-much-every-championship-club-lost-over-lockdown/

With so many clubs teetering on financial instability and an inevitable 2nd wave coming, how long do we reckon can the club actually survive without fans?

With that sort of negativity your 100% a journalist . 

9 hours ago, Mckram said:

Can’t see how that survey makes sense. If our average attendance is higher than Leeds and ticket price higher, then how can they have lost more money.

Wrong information and wrong calculations surely. 

The information is blatantly wrong.

I don’t think our average attendance has been as high as stated, it’s certainly not been higher than Leeds and I thought they had higher  prices.

The analysis has been done by a so called expert but, anyone could figure out that, regardless of what their average attendance had been all season, Leeds would have had crowds in excess of 30,000 for their remaining games. Even for us, average attendance wouldn’t quite work given our final four games included two which would have attracted our biggest crowds of the season (Leeds and Forest).

The report is clearly flawed and not really very well thought through.

Whilst the underlying message is valid - clubs have lost a lot of money (no xxxx Sherlock) I think this piece of work can be filed under “useless information” and the lesson learnt is, next time get a real analyst to put a little more effort in if they want it taken seriously.

In answer to the original question though, football can survive forever without the fans.

In the Premier League the fans are a complete irrelevance.

At Championship level and below though it will require 1 of 2 things to happen:-

1 - EFL sorts out the tv deal

2 - Player wages take the hit

Unfortunately cannot see either happening. 

This should be the wake up call that football and its fans need. When Arsenal are considering making 55 people redundant whilst continuing to pay someone £350,000 per week to wean their bench, surely someone must be thinking that this needs to change?

11 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The information is blatantly wrong.

I don’t think our average attendance has been as high as stated, it’s certainly not been higher than Leeds and I thought they had higher  prices.

The analysis has been done by a so called expert but, anyone could figure out that, regardless of what their average attendance had been all season, Leeds would have had crowds in excess of 30,000 for their remaining games. Even for us, average attendance wouldn’t quite work given our final four games included two which would have attracted our biggest crowds of the season (Leeds and Forest).

The report is clearly flawed and not really very well thought through.

Whilst the underlying message is valid - clubs have lost a lot of money (no xxxx Sherlock) I think this piece of work can be filed under “useless information” and the lesson learnt is, next time get a real analyst to put a little more effort in if they want it taken seriously.

I think that is a bit unfair.

At the end of the day this report has been compiled using information from BUSINESS RESCUE EXPERT, or as her friends know her Dianne Abbot.

27 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think that is a bit unfair.

At the end of the day this report has been compiled using information from BUSINESS RESCUE EXPERT, or as her friends know her Dianne Abbot.

Supported by priti patel

15 hours ago, jono said:

Dont worry jono, the good old EFL will have a cunning plan to help out valued members. They will be releasing it.....erm...soon?

Archived