Which player put(s) the sparkle into DCFC for you?

RoyMac5

Well perhaps you know, I'm a big Chrissy Martin fan, he's such a great footballer and put the sparkle into Derby for me. For me there are always certain players, maybe one or two per season that really add that bit extra to supporting the Rams.

I'm struggling at the minute to be that bothered about next season, it's lost that sparkle (come back Chrissy!). Thinking back I was gutted when we sold Idiakez and Will Hughes, when other players retired too. My memory isn't what it was so fortunately the pain of not being able to watch certain favourite players line up for Derby have faded over time. 

I think maybe next season Sibbo will add a little extra sparkle for me. How about you?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to watching,Sibley and Bird next season.

I’m hoping Bielik ,Bogle and Lawrence deliver.

Sparkle...mmmm,not sure it’s going to be an individual but more of a collective.

Love to see us bring in one exciting forward player but realistically I think we might not be able to afford it.

If we are talking present then it’s Sibley , looks a real prospect and a true Derby fan too , not just academy product ,you just know he will be as excited as us fans every time he hits the back of the net for Derby ,

Roy ,,,, yep I know you will miss Martin but look forward to enjoying this lad 

None at the moment, which is a bit sad. It’s the way I’ve felt all season really, nothing properly excites me about this squad. Well, aside from Rooney obviously, but I don’t think that’s the point of this thread! The rest of the squad is all a bit dull and unimaginative - I certainly don’t feel much of a connection to many of them. Lawrence is about the only senior player with any real “spark”, but some of his other actions prevent me from really liking him as a player. 

Things are looking brighter for the future mind. Sibley looks to have the potential to be the sort of player who has you on the edge of your seat whenever he has the ball. The way he drives forward with the ball and takes defenders on is something we’ve been missing in this team. He brings some excitement to proceedings with his technique on the ball. Hopefully we can now bring in a couple more exciting attackers over the summer and finally add a bit of quality to this squad.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

None at the moment, which is a bit sad. ...

Things are looking brighter for the future mind. Sibley looks to have the potential to be the sort of player who has you on the edge of your seat whenever he has the ball. ..Hopefully we can now bring in a couple more exciting attackers over the summer and finally add a bit of quality to this squad.

'The sparkle' isn't necessarily about quality, I bet S*vage did it for some! ? #COYR

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well perhaps you know, I'm a big Chrissy Martin fan, he's such a great footballer and put the sparkle into Derby for me. For me there are always certain players, maybe one or two per season that really add that bit extra to supporting the Rams.

I'm struggling at the minute to be that bothered about next season, it's lost that sparkle (come back Chrissy!). Thinking back I was gutted when we sold Idiakez and Will Hughes, when other players retired too. My memory isn't what it was so fortunately the pain of not being able to watch certain favourite players line up for Derby have faded over time. 

I think maybe next season Sibbo will add a little extra sparkle for me. How about you?

Yeah, its never nice when your favourite player leaves. Still painful for me seeing Will Hughes in a Watford shirt.

In answer to the question, Sibley is an obvious candidate because of his dynamism & fearlessness but I actually really enjoy watching Max Bird play. His position isnt a glamour role but its great watching him dictating the tempo, making those crucial interceptions & just basically bossing the place...particularly for such a young lad. Its unusual to see such intelligence at his age & can't wait to see how he develops next season.

Hope the emergence of more Academy players & development of those already in the first team helps to reinvigorate your enthusiasm. I know you follow the youth & am sure there's plenty of cracking football for us all to savour in 20/21 ?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Without coming all 2007/8 on this question my answer is 'the fans'.

I am bothered and excited about next season. How Sibley, Rooney and Bird will do; what Wierik is like and what influence he will have; whether Bielik can/will get back after his injury; what new players will come in; what new players from the academy will come through (I really like Buchanan).

But football without the fans has been dull at all levels. Football at all levels has turned into a dull, artificial, made for TV sport (ditto cricket) with no atmosphere. Without becoming all B4 about it the sooner crowds come back the better, whatever the risk.

Just now, ilkleyram said:

Without coming all 2007/8 on this question my answer is 'the fans'.

Without the players/teams the fans have nothing to cheer. Who will you be looking for to see 'sparkle' when the fans are back? ?

Archived