Academy Thread 20/21

Ghost of Clough

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Mothersille has scored a few recently, was he a triallist?

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

On loan from Chelsea

According to Soccerway, Trialist A is Courtney Clarke and Trialist B is Reece Nicholas-Davies.

https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2021/04/06/england/premier-academy-league/leeds-united-fc-under-18-academy/Derby-county-fc-under-18-academy/3369416/

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh yeah I remember now, it seems an odd 'deal' if we don't have chance to sign him later was being suggested.

With Hector-Ingram and Stretton out on loan, we only had Duncan and Cresswell for the U23s and Cybulski was being moved up into the U23 match day squad as well. Plus Gordon went to Liverpool and two U15 strikers have gone to Man Utd. May just have been that we were short of strikers for the U18s.

That said, Rushian Hepburn-Murphy was an equally odd one last season.

Edited by Stuniverse

6 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

I don't know if he got any game time, but Reece Nicholas-Davies confirmed he was involved earlier today. He is an under 16 player.

Just now, Stuniverse said:

According to Soccerway, Nicholas-Davies came on for Mothersille on 84 minutes.

Just demonstrating how thin on the ground we are at this level. he seems a bright young prospect, hope we look after him. 

BTW, he has signed for Derby, interesting that they are still listing him as  a triallist.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Just demonstrating how thin on the ground we are at this level. he seems a bright young prospect, hope we look after him. 

BTW, he has signed for Derby, interesting that they are still listing him as  a triallist.

He’s been signed as a scholar and given a 1 year pro apparently. Some of the 2nd year scholars have been released now so the 16s will be getting more chance with the 18s.

16 minutes ago, Footymum2017 said:

He’s been signed as a scholar and given a 1 year pro apparently. Some of the 2nd year scholars have been released now so the 16s will be getting more chance with the 18s.

Thanks,  I wondered whether that might be the case. Do you know who has gone and are you allowed to share? 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Thanks,  I wondered whether that might be the case. Do you know who has gone and are you allowed to share? 

This is the list of 2nd year scholars: Bardell, Solomon, Jinkinson, Grewal-Pollard, Aghatise, Rogers, Matthews, Perez de Gracia, SThompson, Cybulski

I'm sure you'd be able to choose 3 or 4 to put in the 'at risk' group.

13 hours ago, angieram said:

The only one that I know for certain is Jinkinson. There were a couple of others that weren’t in the 18 squad against Leeds that don’t usually play in the 23s so I would think they have gone aswell unless injured.

9 hours ago, Footymum2017 said:

The only one that I know for certain is Jinkinson. There were a couple of others that weren’t in the 18 squad against Leeds that don’t usually play in the 23s so I would think they have gone aswell unless injured.

20 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

This is the list of 2nd year scholars: Bardell, Solomon, Jinkinson, Grewal-Pollard, Aghatise, Rogers, Matthews, Perez de Gracia, SThompson, Cybulski

I'm sure you'd be able to choose 3 or 4 to put in the 'at risk' group.

That’s a shame, I quite liked Jinkinson based on the limited number of times I’ve seen him play. Matthews has been injured for most of the season, I think. S Thompson hasn’t played for a while, I’d assumed he was injured. Bardell has been playing up with the U23s.

With the exception of de Gracia, the others all featured against Leeds U18s yesterday.

18 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

That’s a shame, I quite liked Jinkinson based on the limited number of times I’ve seen him play. Matthews has been injured for most of the season, I think. S Thompson hasn’t played for a while, I’d assumed he was injured. Bardell has been playing up with the U23s.

With the exception of de Gracia, the others all featured against Leeds U18s yesterday.

Jinkinson probably falls victim of us choosing to keep Wassall, Bateman, Minkley, JBrown, Cashin and Solomon for the U23s. Personally, I don't think he has as much potential as any of those listed.

De Gracia, SThompson and possibly Matthews would be the other 3 I'd put in the at risk group. However, all 3 have struggled with injuries and we have a habit of giving youngsters extra chances to come back. Neither have made an impression at U18 level so could be a big ask for them to step up another level despite not playing for such a long time.

2 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Looks like Callum Minkley has gone to Middlesbrough or, at least, has played for their U23s on trial: https://int.soccerway.com/matches/2021/02/22/england/premier-league-2-division-two/burnley-u23/middlesbrough-u23/3369988/

Somewhat surprised by that as I expected us to let Wassall and Bateman leave (Keeping Minkley, Cashin, JBrown and Solomon as our U23 CBs for next season).

2 hours ago, Stuniverse said:

Was that with a view to a permanent transfer to Middlesbrough?

Don't know. I'm not FootyMum ?

It wouldn't surprise me though, not made the progress everyone hoped. Mainly due to a long term recurring injury.