Academy Thread 20/21

Ghost of Clough

Oddly Cabinteely have also brought in a 23 year old keeper at the same time as Harry:

https://www.extratime.com/articles/26714/Derby-county-goalkeeper-harry-halwax-joins-cabinteely-on-loan-as-luca-gratzer-and-jay-nwanze-also-sign/

I've no idea how he's been doing. Is this likely it for him, or are we just getting him more game time, with the bonus of being closer to home?

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Oddly Cabinteely have also brought in a 23 year old keeper at the same time as Harry:

https://www.extratime.com/articles/26714/Derby-county-goalkeeper-harry-halwax-joins-cabinteely-on-loan-as-luca-gratzer-and-jay-nwanze-also-sign/

I've no idea how he's been doing. Is this likely it for him, or are we just getting him more game time, with the bonus of being closer to home?

He came through the same age group as Foster and obviously found himself being 2nd choice. We don't have any U18s stepping up next season but I wouldn't be surprised to see Roberts involved in some matchday squad. We also still have Foster, Idem, Yates and Sykes-Kenworthy. 

Looking at the current squads, we have a large number of keepers, but this is how I see things playing out for next season:

First Team
Marshall - 1st choice
Roos - Backup
Carson - End of contract
Mitchell - End of contract
Ravas - End of contract

U23s
Foster - Loan or 3rd choice GK
Idem - Loan or 3rd choice GK
Sykes-Kenworthy - U23 1st choice
Yates - End of contract
Halwax - U23 backup

U18s
Roberts - U18 1st choice or U23 3rd choice
Randle - U18 backup

U16s
Evans - Promoted to U18s. U18 3rd choice

Back to Halwax, I expect this is down to game time (with the benefit of being closer to home) due to the number of keepers we have available for the U23s at the moment. Numbers should be reduced next season and he'll start to get a few games for.

On 04/03/2021 at 09:40, Ghost of Clough said:

He came through the same age group as Foster and obviously found himself being 2nd choice. We don't have any U18s stepping up next season but I wouldn't be surprised to see Roberts involved in some matchday squad. We also still have Foster, Idem, Yates and Sykes-Kenworthy. 

Looking at the current squads, we have a large number of keepers, but this is how I see things playing out for next season:

First Team
Marshall - 1st choice
Roos - Backup
Carson - End of contract
Mitchell - End of contract
Ravas - End of contract

U23s
Foster - Loan or 3rd choice GK
Idem - Loan or 3rd choice GK
Sykes-Kenworthy - U23 1st choice
Yates - End of contract
Halwax - U23 backup

U18s
Roberts - U18 1st choice or U23 3rd choice
Randle - U18 backup

U16s
Evans - Promoted to U18s. U18 3rd choice

Back to Halwax, I expect this is down to game time (with the benefit of being closer to home) due to the number of keepers we have available for the U23s at the moment. Numbers should be reduced next season and he'll start to get a few games for.

I would agree with your assessment. We do have more U23 goalkeepers than normal at the moment.

U18s vs Boro

Roberts

Brailsford   Bardell   Grewal-Pollard   Maloney(U16)

Aghatise   Eze(T)

Clarke(T)   Ibrahim   Mothersille(L)

Lissah(T)

Subs: Evans(U16, GK), Moore, Rogers, Borkovic, Kelly

*May have got the positions of the trialists(T) mixed up.

20 minutes in and it's 1-0 (Mothersille)

Edited by Ghost of Clough
Missed the goal.