Academy Thread 20/21

Ghost of Clough

• 2 weeks later...

Gordon has been at Derby since he was nine, played for their Under 18s aged just 15, won their academy player of the year award last season and is rated as one of the most exciting 16-year-olds in the country. Almost inevitably the vultures, including Liverpool and Manchester United, are circling. The praise and attention looks all set to keep on coming in 2021.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9099455/The-best-young-footballers-watch-2021.html

On 01/01/2021 at 16:30, Rev said:

Gordon has been at Derby since he was nine, played for their Under 18s aged just 15, won their academy player of the year award last season and is rated as one of the most exciting 16-year-olds in the country. Almost inevitably the vultures, including Liverpool and Manchester United, are circling. The praise and attention looks all set to keep on coming in 2021.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9099455/The-best-young-footballers-watch-2021.html

Would love to see how many of these lads actually make it 

I think someone recently showed me the Sun’s predicted lineup for the 2018 World Cup in 2008 or something and it’s quite hilarious 

The journey from 14-21 is horrendous and it’s not the best that survive it’s the ones that have the most desire to stay the course. 

no one should ever disrespect what these kids go through, what they sacrifice, how good they have to be to simply get to be a pro let alone have a careers...and how short their careers are...

• 2 weeks later...

That is very, very good point. 

This is reflected in life itself. It is those people who battle continually against the odds and with adversity who eventually prevail because they do not give up. 

Motivation to do anything comes from within, its something which can not be taught or instilled in anyone.

Some may have an easier route through help and circumstances but all of these these 'types' of people will eventually achieve their goals.

2 hours ago, Rab a dab doo said:

That is very, very good point. 

This is reflected in life itself. It is those people who battle continually against the odds and with adversity who eventually prevail because they do not give up. 

Motivation to do anything comes from within, its something which can not be taught or instilled in anyone.

Some may have an easier route through help and circumstances but all of these these 'types' of people will eventually achieve their goals.

I don’t agree with this, not that it matters. I think privilege and someone’s situation will always hugely outweigh any personal factors 

Hence the horrific lack of social mobility in this country

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Does anyone know why Stretton and Trialist weren't on the bench on Saturday? @Ghost of Clough?

I thought Stretton picked up an injury a few weeks back.

I imagine Trialist has picked up a knock or is going out on loan. Only 6 months left on his original deal (don't think it's been extended), so that may have an impact on decision for him this month.

U18s drawing 0-0 with Newcastle at half time. Newcastle had a man sent off on the half hour mark

Starting 11:

Randle

Brailsford   Jinkinson   Solomon   Grewal-Pollard

Rogers   Sebagabo(U16)

SThompson   Ibrahim   Bala(U16)

Forrester(U16)

Bala and Forrester are new names to me.

Thompson off for Kelly Caprani just before the end of the half.

Others still on the bench are: Evans (U16 GK), Maloney (U16 LB?), Moore (U16 CM), Cybulski

Edited by Ghost of Clough