Academy Thread 20/21

Ghost of Clough

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What is "As a direct response to the findings of the internal review, the Club will be looking at remodelling the Academy system and exploring a “B and C Team” model."?

FIIN

Translation? We have no money and therefore are cutting all no essential costs? Oh, and we will cobble together a couple of reserve teams as and when the need arises?

38 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What is "As a direct response to the findings of the internal review, the Club will be looking at remodelling the Academy system and exploring a “B and C Team” model."?

It means they're scrapping their academy and having two reserve sides akin to Brentford. Instead of developing their own players, they'll recruit players released by other clubs. They won't be in any youth leagues (U18/U23), instead playing friendlies.

19 minutes ago, Boycie said:

So they success they had in developing Jude Bellingham and the large amount the got for him and also Demari Grey was just a fluke?

Short sightedness I think, or bank the money and sell up.

Probably only 3 other players of note in the last 10 years: Butland, Gray, Redmond. Harding is probably the 4th best. Sone Aluko included if extended to 15, then a further 5 years back to include players such as Bruce.

The Bellingham sale probably means they've broken even over the past 20 years. I can see the merit in scaling back their academy spend.

17 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Probably only 3 other players of note in the last 10 years: Butland, Gray, Redmond. Harding is probably the 4th best. Sone Aluko included if extended to 15, then a further 5 years back to include players such as Bruce.

The Bellingham sale probably means they've broken even over the past 20 years. I can see the merit in scaling back their academy spend.

On the flip side, they were probably known locally as a club who if you were good enough regardless of age, they would play you and you’d get your move to a big club on big money if you performed well.

All gone now, so they’ll have to coax and give confidence to other clubs cast offs now, so possibly kids come from big clubs down to a smaller club with a possible chip on his shoulder.

3 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Might be Max Bardell

Having watched the little training video, someone does shout “go on max” so that makes sense

What’s the collective noun for a group of right backs? We’re producing so many, a plethora?

On 08/12/2020 at 14:27, Ghost of Clough said:

Isn't this where Terry Westley left us for back in the day? Before going on to West Ham, and I think now overseas. At the time it seemed a significant loss, but the Academy ended up doing very well without him.