Lee Buchanan signs new contract, 2022

Day

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Anyone else thinking he’ll be sent out on loan?

Not a fan of the idea that you just send an academy prospect out on loan and they return a first teamer but it’s hard to see his path to regular minutes. With someone like Whittaker, you can see how he’s going to feature because we’re so short at winger and striker but I can’t see Buchanan beating out Lowe or Fozzy.

Glad we’ve got him tied up though, clearly a lot of potential there and I love our full-back conveyor belt.

Ravas, Buchanan and possibly Trialist our on loans. I can’t see us wanting to send any others out just yet

My impression is that Cocu rates him ahead of Lowe, which surprises me as I think Lowe has far more ability. But it's possible Buchanan has more desire. For so many years Lowe seemed the sole shining light of the academy and the only one with a path to the first team. But it's not quite worked out for whatever reason. He always seems on the cusp, but not quite consistent enough. But I really like Max for his intelligence and skill and still hope he's the one to make that spot his own.

That becomes harder with four players now competing for the one berth, though there's also the option of left-side midfield or centre back for some.

Congrats to Lee for the extension. I hope he seizes his chance. Competition for places makes everyone better. It's brutal that you're all teammates but also in massive competition with each other to gain and keep the shirt.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

My impression is that Cocu rates him ahead of Lowe, which surprises me as I think Lowe has far more ability. But it's possible Buchanan has more desire. For so many years Lowe seemed the sole shining light of the academy and the only one with a path to the first team. But it's not quite worked out for whatever reason. He always seems on the cusp, but not quite consistent enough. But I really like Max for his intelligence and skill and still hope he's the one to make that spot his own.

That becomes harder with four players now competing for the one berth, though there's also the option of left-side midfield or centre back for some.

That's my impression also. I suspect it may be because Buchanan is likely (long term) to be much more reliable in the air & as a sometime CB, better defensively. Also noticeable that Cocu preferred Forsyth to Lowe later on in the season & Buchanan is more like for like with Forsyth. Dont disagree Lowe has more ability although Buchanan can certainly contribute further up the field (as Scunthorpe away proved)

Another factor could be Cocu's preferred formation/tactic...4-3-3 with 2 pacey wingers but a solid defence to soak up pressure. In that context, attacking FBs arent quite as prominent whereas their defensive ability certainly is. May also explain why Cocu has been so publically critical of Bogle's defensive concentration in the last few games of the season.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Congrats to Lee for the extension. I hope he seizes his chance. Competition for places makes everyone better. It's brutal that you're all teammates but also in massive competition with each other to gain and keep the shirt.

If I remember correctly Brentford were actively trying to sign lowe last summer and maybe they still are and we have an offer which we are tempted to accept and we have two other decent players who can play there?

4 hours ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Nothing’s changed in those two years!?

I disagree, Lowe still struggles at times with that aspect of his game but it’s certainly improved.......is it enough for Cocu to make him first choice LB?

I’m not sure.

On 31/07/2020 at 13:14, Millenniumram said:

Good news, clearly a player with a lot of potential. I like what I’ve seen of him so far, though I prefer him at CB. Interesting it’s only a 2 year deal though, the other youngsters got deals until 2023. Normally you want to tie prospects down to longer term contracts.

He’s five foot 8

Best of Luck to him.

Only seen him twice and he seemed a little like he was caught in the headlines and made a couple of quite bad errors.

I would hope this is something he can iron out 

Still Richard 'always got a mistake in him' Keogh carved out a niche cult status here so maybe that all is not lost.

On 02/08/2020 at 17:00, Sparkle said:

If I remember correctly Brentford were actively trying to sign lowe last summer and maybe they still are and we have an offer which we are tempted to accept and we have two other decent players who can play there?

Selling a left back for decent money is clearly one of the best deals we can do in terms of existing cover in the squad.

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Malone? ?

I would maintain Malone os a very decent Championship left back, though I'd also say he cost us promotion with his sending off at Elland Road. Ashley Cole was so unfit he couldn't get beyond the Wembley halfway line, which killed us on the day.

Archived