DCFC Player of the Season is...Matt Clarke

sage

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

Doesn't Martin have the same number of goals as Waghorn? I don't know, he's played all season but he's never been more than decent. I don't think he should be up there really. I'd have an issue if it went to him.

Yes but Martin doesnt play out wide and probably puts about 50% of the effort that Waghorn puts in.

Think Waghorn has spurned too many chances to get POTY though.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes but Martin doesnt play out wide and probably puts about 50% of the effort that Waghorn puts in.

Never really thought Waghorn went out wide much. And it's not just about effort, although he's a trier. I see why Ince wasn't rated too! ?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, but as I said he never went out wide much. What did they call them 'inside right'?

Apparently they're known as 'seven-and-a-half'! ?

False winger

The "false winger" or "seven–and–a–half" is a label which has been used to describe a type of player who normally plays centrally, but who instead is deployed out wide on paper; during the course of a match, however, they will move inside and operate in the centre of the pitch, in order to drag defenders out of position, congest the midfield and give their team a numerical advantage in this area, so that they can dominate possession in the middle of the pitch and create chances for the forwards; this position also leaves space for full-backs to make overlapping attacking runs up the flank. Samir Nasri, who has been deployed in this role, once described it as that of a "non-axial playmaker."

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Apparently they're known as 'seven-and-a-half'! ?

I think that's a slightly different role. The description you've given would better represent Marriott on the wing where when we're attacking he becomes a CF. With Lawrence and Waghorn, there starting position is wide, but they drift in to support the CF. A very subtle difference.

Well done Matt, well deserved!

*Thought it was going to be Martin tbh, I thought that early statement was going to be so they weren’t going to be inundated with messages saying ‘what are you waiting for?!?!’ etc etc. Ah well, it went to the right player.

2 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I think it's safe to say Tomori was Jody's idea and had nothing to do with the our recruitment team.

Wouldn’t say it’s safe to say that, but I’m sure having both Frank and Jody helped a lot. 

Archived