20/21 Notts Bottlers Thread

David

55 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Hughton would never have been a possibility whilst Mel was in charge.

He publicly spoke out about the regime at Derby, in fact I think he turned down the chance to manage us due to a meddling chairman.

If you do some digging I'm sure there is a news article out there somewhere.

? now he can get the hands on experience

35 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Florist will be promoted within two years now. They should have made top six last year and will probably do so this year. Hughton will turn them round after three games. They have good players.

They have a first team squad of something like 42 players. He's bound to find a good-ish 11 amongst that lot. We will see them slowly but surely move up the table and I suspect top 6 for them this year with a good chance of progressing through the play-offs. Meanwhile, after allowing our best striker to leave, we're now scanning the Yellow Pages for out of work strikers who fancy a regular game of football on a Saturday afternoon. . .ship and ha'porth of tar and all that. Do "risk analyses" feature in football decision-making circles?  ? 

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

They have a first team squad of something like 42 players. He's bound to find a good-ish 11 amongst that lot. We will see them slowly but surely move up the table and I suspect top 6 for them this year with a good chance of progressing through the play-offs. Meanwhile, after allowing our best striker to leave, we're now scanning the Yellow Pages for out of work strikers who fancy a regular game of football on a Saturday afternoon. . .ship and ha'porth of tar and all that. Do "risk analyses" feature in football decision-making circles?  ? 

CM wanted a two-year contract, we were only prepared to offer him a one-year deal - end of story.

We can argue why we were not prepared to offer him a two-year deal until the cows come home, but that ship has sailed.

1 minute ago, Grumpy Git said:

CM wanted a two-year contract, we were only prepared to offer him a one-year deal - end of story.

We can argue why we were not prepared to offer him a two-year deal until the cows come home, but that ship has sailed.

. . . leaving us without a recognised striker who fits our system. 

I championed Hughton as the potential successor to Lampard when he left. I think Hughton gets a hard time for his 'play style' but he's actually just a very adaptable coach and was able to turn around Brighton and get them promoted THEN keep them in the Premier League without much investment. Not to mention what he's done at previous clubs.  I didn't think the Forest job would interest him to be honest, obviously a big club in this division but it's about as chaotic as it gets without a member of the board getting arrested in Fr-.. ok, it IS as chaotic as it gets. 

I'm just not sure how this all works out. I don't imagine whilst Marinakas is still there then this will ever be a settled football club, obviously that doesn't mean they can't be successful, but it's certainly going to be a tough environment to work within. Sabri, I felt, did a really good job with what he had. I do think it eventually caught up with him and they started to concede goals they weren't doing earlier on in the season and the confidence dropped quickly. It will be interesting to see how they get on. 

1 hour ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Hughton would never have been a possibility whilst Mel was in charge.

He publicly spoke out about the regime at Derby, in fact I think he turned down the chance to manage us due to a meddling chairman.

If you do some digging I'm sure there is a news article out there somewhere.

I'm not doubting what you say, but when did he say this? If it was somewhere between 2015 and 2017 it's probably a fairly valid criticism (Clement, pearson, mac2 it was all a bit manic) but Mel's grown in the role and decisions seem to be a lot more measured over the past few seasons.

It does seem that the Greek chap is quite an "active" influence.......

15 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

. . . leaving us without a recognised striker who fits our system. 

I'd say that we need to change the system then. Vardy leads the line for Leicester, Palace are playing Zaha and Ayew upfront, Southampton are also going with Adams and Ings. It goes to show that success isn't reliant on having someone upfront who can hold the ball up. 

45 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm not doubting what you say, but when did he say this? If it was somewhere between 2015 and 2017 it's probably a fairly valid criticism (Clement, pearson, mac2 it was all a bit manic) but Mel's grown in the role and decisions seem to be a lot more measured over the past few seasons.

It does seem that the Greek chap is quite an "active" influence.......

I'll try and find the article, I 'think' it was around the time we got Rowett.

I really wanted him as manager too so was gutted when I read/heard it. 

2 hours ago, Olton Ram said:

Anything's possible, but I'm not sure just adding Hughton is a sudden recipe for success for them. They haven't finished in the top 6 since 2010/11, and we should know better than anyone that being competitive one season doesn't mean that you'll necessarily be promoted in the following season or two. I don't see why Forest would be more of a favourite to get promoted soon than a dozen other clubs in this league. Are they significantly better than us? Or Blackburn? Or Bristol City? Or Watford, Bournemouth, Cardiff, Norwich, Swansea, etc., etc., etc......This is a tough league. Past 'success', where they didn't even finish in the playoffs, means nothing. We'll see though. It'll be interesting to see how he does, given all the issues they've got. ?‍♂️

They just need sorting out Hughton style. We will see in 3 months what pact he has had.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I'd say that we need to change the system then. Vardy leads the line for Leicester, Palace are playing Zaha and Ayew upfront, Southampton are also going with Adams and Ings. It goes to show that success isn't reliant on having someone upfront who can hold the ball up. 

Apart from we’ve stuck with a system that requires a hold-up merchant. QED: we’ve scored 2 goals in 4 games.

5 hours ago, Srg said:

Given Sabri was one of their owners longest ever tenured managers, just being there in a years time should be his first objective. 

Listening to Radio Nottingham, which is always the most overtly positive commentary ever (especially compared to our negative one), you’d think they’d hired Jurgen Klopp. The tonguing Hughton is getting is nauseating. 

that's because his successes are almost as far in the past as theirs........?

I don’t get the snobbery around Hughton saying he is boring and his teams are boring to watch.

In the Championship, he strikes an excellent balance and understands what works. He is a winner at this level. Is winning boring?

His teams are strong defensively - typically conceding an average of less than 1 goal a game - and they score goals too. His teams have routinely scored 70 goals or more across the season in this division.

Even his Birmingham side spearheaded by Marlon King scored 78 goals that year!

For comparison, we have only done that three times in the recent past - twice with McClaren, and once with Rowett!

His teams are usually full of pace, power, physicality, athleticism and experience - everything we have been crying out for all summer.

I don’t get it.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

I don’t get the snobbery around Hughton saying he is boring and his teams are boring to watch.

In the Championship, he strikes an excellent balance and understands what works. He is a winner at this level. Is winning boring?

His teams are strong defensively - typically conceding an average of less than 1 goal a game - and they score goals too. His teams have routinely scored 70 goals or more across the season in this division.

Even his Birmingham side spearheaded by Marlon King scored 78 goals that year!

For comparison, we have only done that three times in the recent past - twice with McClaren, and once with Rowett!

His teams are usually full of pace, power, physicality, athleticism and experience - everything we have been crying out for all summer.

I don’t get it.

I'd say this has been balanced out by the people that now seem to think that Forest are about to embark upon a 27 game unbeaten run and storm the league thanks to the infallable magic of Chris Hughton.

8 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

You do nothing but moan about everything Derby do and then you are straight on here saying Forest have cracked it and will be promoted in the near future.

Are you sure you are on the right forum?

Nothing but moan? It’s called having an opinion - I think Hughton is a superb appointment for the Red Dogs and will do for them what he did for Brighton, because he’s good at getting the best out of the players he has and getting out of this division.
And yeah, I’m on the right forum thanks; I’ve supported this club for nearly 40 years and spent thousands of pounds travelling around the country following them, which entitles me to an opinion. Or are you going to tell me to ‘go and follow that lot down the A52’ - that seems to be the insult of choice aimed at those of us who aren’t convinced by Cocu.

Edited by Jayram

40 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I'd say this has been balanced out by the people that now seem to think that Forest are about to embark upon a 27 game unbeaten run and storm the league thanks to the infallable magic of Chris Hughton.

28. They’ll go 28 games unbeaten.

Seriously though, how can you be surprised by this reaction?

Given Hughton’s track record - two automatic promotions and two top six finishes in five seasons at this level - I think it’s just being realistic to expect Forest to improve and have a good chance at promotion either this season or next season.

Of course, we will all enjoy it if they implode and it all goes wrong, but sometimes even the most problematic clubs can stumble upon the right manager.

We had the Three Amigos - who I think were much less competent than recent owners Forest have had - and George Burley got us playing some fantastic football and 90 minutes from a play-off final in spite of the ownership.

So I don’t think it would be a surprise to see Hughton do well at Forest.

Delighted that Chris Hughton has the Forest job. A good coach and manager who hopefully will bring stability, confidence and experience to a wonderful football club. Sending him and all Trickies lots of positivity and best wishes.

Collymores delighted apparently...

Don't remember him sending the Trickies positivity and best wishes when he threatened them with a Van Hooidonk to get his move, then took them to court to get a 'loyalty bonus'