20/21 Notts Bottlers Thread

David

2 hours ago, Olton Ram said:

Although this is an annoyingly decent appointment I'm comforting myself with the thought that some of their recent managers have also arrived with a good reputation (e.g. O'Neill, Karanka, Warburton, even Pearce) and they've still achieved the square root of FA there. Time will tell. Here's hoping for anything between utter mediocrity and abject failure ?

Nottingham forest: where good managers go to die. 

40 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Saying that we've changed managers once a season since 2015 and still managed to be into the playoffs a number of times which is more than Forest have ever achieved. 

Although in defence of Mel, Mac1 was undertandable given the courting of Newcastle (still think we should've just held on and got some compensation).

Tthe mad run through Clement, DazWaz n 'arry, Pearson, Mac 2, Rowett was a bit crazy - however, Rowett was stuck with through the tricky spot and chose to leave (i think we'd have been very good if he'd stayed and been backed) and then Lampard also was stuck with when it looked we weren't going to make the play offs but chose to leave. Since the mad days of 2014-16 we've been far more inclined to stay with our managers and it's not really our fault Rowett and Lampart left.

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Although in defence of Mel, Mac1 was undertandable given the courting of Newcastle (still think we should've just held on and got some compensation).

Tthe mad run through Clement, DazWaz n 'arry, Pearson, Mac 2, Rowett was a bit crazy - however, Rowett was stuck with through the tricky spot and chose to leave (i think we'd have been very good if he'd stayed and been backed) and then Lampard also was stuck with when it looked we weren't going to make the play offs but chose to leave. Since the mad days of 2014-16 we've been far more inclined to stay with our managers and it's not really our fault Rowett and Lampart left.

Yes sorry wasn't meant as a criticism really just as an observation that we have changed managers for a number of reasons not all within Mel Morris' influence and still have consistently finished higher than Forest when they have been chopping and changing their managers too. 

4 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yes sorry wasn't meant as a criticism really just as an observation that we have changed managers for a number of reasons not all within Mel Morris' influence and still have consistently finished higher than Forest when they have been chopping and changing their managers too. 

It's a good point. It has felt like it's taken a long time to lose the reputation for being very quick to sack managers, same as we've still not thrown off the "big spend" reputation even though since 2016 we've had to fund with outgoings.

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Surprisingly good appointment for Forest.

If they sign a quality winger, they could be back in business.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them in the play off spots by the end of 2020.

Hughton gets this division.

Newcastle - Champions with a budget bigger than any Championship club has every had

Birmingham - 4th with a newly relegated side which finished 18th in the PL  

Norwich - improved on their 12th place finish under the previous manager by coming 11th, before getting sacked the following season leading to their relegation

Brighton - finished 6th the season before he joined, finishing 3rd in his first full season and 2nd the next season. A good first season in the PL before struggling in their second season up there.

In the Championship, he's always had a talented crop of players to choose from. The problem here is that they've now lost a lot of their best players from last season, and a couple of their other starters are on the decline. A big squad means they'll have a number of unhappy players causing problems, an issue Hughton hasn't had to deal with before.

Have to say something doesn’t quite add up somewhere. Sacking Lamouchi, to bring in a press darling in Hughton (check out the journalists on twitter if you doubt this) with little fanfare and short notice.

At best it’s a panic, a low risk panic admittedly but with little planning, but there’s a cynical part that makes me think it’s putting someone out in the front as a good media face to distract from other problems.

Going to be an interesting few months, which could go well for them, but one thing with Forest is there is regularly a sense of deja vu with them.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

In the Championship, he's always had a talented crop of players to choose from. The problem here is that they've now lost a lot of their best players from last season, and a couple of their other starters are on the decline. A big squad means they'll have a number of unhappy players causing problems, an issue Hughton hasn't had to deal with before.

I don’t necessarily agree that he has taken on easy jobs with talented squads.

Yes, Newcastle were able to retain some players that were obviously too good for the Championship - Nolan, Carroll, Coloccini - and had a big wage budget, but there are number of clubs that have been in a similar position - West Ham and Aston Villa - and made hard work of getting back out of the division.

Birmingham were relegated but they lost a lot of key players that year - Jerome, Johnson, Dann, Ridgewell, Gardner, just to name a few. Their signings were mainly free transfers and loans, so again not exactly the perfect circumstances to succeed.

At Brighton, he was well backed by Bloom. But it still required good management. In his first full season, they missed out on promotion on GD.

A lot of teams and a lot of managers wouldn’t have recovered from that. You only have to look at Lamouchi in recent months to see that. The following season, Brighton went up automatically.

So Hughton will have seen this situation play out before. He’s been out of the game for 18 months. He doesn’t strike me as someone who wouldn’t do his due diligence. He will have weighed up the situation and understood if it was workable.

You say they have lost key players, but it’s only really Cash so far. Silva and Carvalho to a far lesser extent.

I look at their squad and the core is more than capable of being competitive at this level, especially with a streetwise manager like Hughton.

You have Arter, Colback, Christie, Freeman, Lolley and Grabban who are all solid and experienced Championship players. Figueiredo, Worrall, Ribeiro, Samba and Lyle Taylor all had very impressive seasons last year. McKenna was very highly rated in Scotland.

Yes, they have a big squad and a lot of players who are unknown - the likes of Mbe Soh, Cafu, Bachirou - but they only need a few of them to do well and they could strike gold.

For a change, I think Forest have made a very smart move here.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Norwich - improved on their 12th place finish under the previous manager by coming 11th, before getting sacked the following season leading to their relegation

Norwich fans almost universally revile him for his boring football and negative tactics. He's basically their version of Poison Billy.

I think he'll struggle, with that squad Forest have got further to fall before it anywhere near starts to come right.

Manager with a bit of a track record, although not done a lot too recently. This is about the best they could get. Was never going to be Howe as he will certainly hold out for West Ham in December. Pearson is a joke. Could’ve easily been a rogue foreigner no one has heard of. 

This is not a comment on his abilities but there’s just something inherently boring about him. Just a boring bloke with a penchant for dull football. Lack of personality.