Tour de France 2020

Chester40

Not an enormous cycling fan, but I always avidly follow the Tour. 

Any experts who have studied the course, the teams, the form?? 

Always add an edge if a Brit is in the mix (Thomas, Froome, Yates? ) and a Frenchman almost going the distance would be great (Pinot, Bardet?). Will the nearly men finally come through (Quintana, Porte?). Will Sagan mop up everything else? Is Cavendish still around for one last hurrah? 

Think I saw there are no epic legendary hill finishes planned? What they doing about crowds? 

What's happening with Team Inoes and where will the Brits be in a year or two team wise? 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Egan Bernal...The kid is good, very good indeed. Brits will be there and Ineos above the rest.

I cant wait, especially this year, on the 3rd of September (Le Teil  - Mont Aigoual) it will go past the house where I spent most my youth and if all goes well I ll be there. It is a tricky hill finish but not a legendary one. Crowds as it stands can attend but if there is a second wave I cannot see how they could stop people attending which probably means it will be cancelled. 

In many ways that was was fairly standard behaviour for a sprinter, normally Fabio Jakobsen would have bounced off the barriers and been mostly ok. But he went through them and wiped out that bloke with the camera. Downhill sprint, they must have been doing 45 mph+, thats a lot of energy for a hard stop.

On 05/08/2020 at 17:07, Shipley Ram said:

It will be screwed if there is a second wave. 

Dylan Groenewegen probably won't be going, he'll get the book thrown at him for this horror show.

To be fair, if they had bells on like I do on my bike the guy behind could have just rung his bell rather than having his bell rung.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2020 at 07:28, Chester40 said:

Not an enormous cycling fan, but I always avidly follow the Tour. 

Any experts who have studied the course, the teams, the form?? 

Always add an edge if a Brit is in the mix (Thomas, Froome, Yates? ) and a Frenchman almost going the distance would be great (Pinot, Bardet?). Will the nearly men finally come through (Quintana, Porte?). Will Sagan mop up everything else? Is Cavendish still around for one last hurrah? 

Think I saw there are no epic legendary hill finishes planned? What they doing about crowds? 

What's happening with Team Inoes and where will the Brits be in a year or two  

It will be a strange tour (if it goes ahead ?‍♂️). No patron of the peloton as froome is defo on a decline now plus team ineos have no real interest in him as he going to this Israeli cycling project next year for his final payout. Thomas has no form either, so both he and froome will start the race as super domestique to Bernal (but he’s got back probs). I can not see past Roglic who looks in great shape in the dauph currently. A few long shots are Richard Carapaz (2019 Giro winner), Landa or even Quintana for a podium? 
It’s a pretty open tour and could be like in 2008 when Sastre won? Plus the weather may play a part being in September especially in the pyrenees. Have a each way bet on Sepp Kuss at 150-1, this kid is strong ? 

22 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

It will be a strange tour (if it goes ahead ?‍♂️). No patron of the peloton as froome is defo on a decline now plus team ineos have no real interest in him as he going to this Israeli cycling project next year for his final payout. Thomas has no form either, so both he and froome will start the race as super domestique to Bernal (but he’s got back probs). I can not see past Roglic who looks in great shape in the dauph currently. A few long shots are Richard Carapaz (2019 Giro winner), Landa or even Quintana for a podium? 
It’s a pretty open tour and could be like in 2008 when Sastre won? Plus the weather may play a part being in September especially in the pyrenees. Have a each way bet on Sepp Kuss at 150-1, this kid is strong ? 

Agree with you on Roglic.  Not so sure it will be as wide open as '08, as Jumbo Visma look so strong as a team (even if Kruijswijk doesn't recover).

Also think Pinot is a good outside bet.  Would have won last year, but for injury.

17 hours ago, John Doe said:

Agree with you on Roglic.  Not so sure it will be as wide open as '08, as Jumbo Visma look so strong as a team (even if Kruijswijk doesn't recover).

Also think Pinot is a good outside bet.  Would have won last year, but for injury.

Roglic looked pretty badly bashed up on Saturday after the fall, although lotto say just superficial road rash. Pinto can’t hack 3 weeks, he will always fall short having the odd really bad day. Plus sadly for him he has the huge pressure of a nation on his shoulders. The course (supposedly) was design for Alaphillpe, but as much as a like him, I can’t even see him winner the tour. One 36km ITT doesn’t suit Dumoulin. So lets hope Froomey and G can get there legs back in September. 

2 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

Roglic looked pretty badly bashed up on Saturday after the fall, although lotto say just superficial road rash. Pinto can’t hack 3 weeks, he will always fall short having the odd really bad day. Plus sadly for him he has the huge pressure of a nation on his shoulders. The course (supposedly) was design for Alaphillpe, but as much as a like him, I can’t even see him winner the tour. One 36km ITT doesn’t suit Dumoulin. So lets hope Froomey and G can get there legs back in September. 

Wind back 3 years and I would agree with your Pinot assessment.  Last couple of years he's really improved on his overall stamina, and whilst you can never rule out a bad day on the tour, I think he'll be there or thereabouts.  Watching the French riders from other teams working for him on Sunday, was interesting.  He's certainly their best hope for this year.
Alaphillipe's strengths lie as a one day racer, and for me, as good as he is, unless he completely switches his focus from those, he won't ever win the tour.  His focus in the early stage post-lockdown was on winning Strade Bianche and/or Milan-San Remo, so whilst he may feature, he'll do well to finish top 10 this year.
Dumoulin will work for Roglic (who should be fine after 2 weeks), as he's not fully fit after 2 years of injury.  Same for Froome with Bernal.  I think his crash last year has probably, sadly, ended his chances of winning a fifth tour.

3 hours ago, John Doe said:

Wind back 3 years and I would agree with your Pinot assessment.  Last couple of years he's really improved on his overall stamina, and whilst you can never rule out a bad day on the tour, I think he'll be there or thereabouts.  Watching the French riders from other teams working for him on Sunday, was interesting.  He's certainly their best hope for this year.
Alaphillipe's strengths lie as a one day racer, and for me, as good as he is, unless he completely switches his focus from those, he won't ever win the tour.  His focus in the early stage post-lockdown was on winning Strade Bianche and/or Milan-San Remo, so whilst he may feature, he'll do well to finish top 10 this year.
Dumoulin will work for Roglic (who should be fine after 2 weeks), as he's not fully fit after 2 years of injury.  Same for Froome with Bernal.  I think his crash last year has probably, sadly, ended his chances of winning a fifth tour.

I like Pinot and I’d like him to win more than Roglic who just seems like another power meter robot, but Pinto will get isolated at some point due to fdj being poor. I agree with you on Froome, last year was his last chance to bag no. 5. Roll on Nice!

18 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

I like Pinot and I’d like him to win more than Roglic who just seems like another power meter robot, but Pinto will get isolated at some point due to fdj being poor. I agree with you on Froome, last year was his last chance to bag no. 5. Roll on Nice!

Agree, and that's what I found interesting about the French guys riding for him on Sunday.  Obviously, teams/riders will ride the tour differently, but if say, Barguil and Bardet don't have much to ride for in the final week, I do wonder if we'll see a similar reaction if Pinot is in contention.  Think the French just want a French winner!

7 hours ago, DC-1975 said:

Thomas and Froome not selected by Ineos

Can see the logic with Froome.  Was only ever going to be a support rider, so why not give him a go in the Vuelta?
Interested to see the dynamic with Carapaz in the team, as it could develop in to an interesting leadership battle with Bernal.

5 hours ago, John Doe said:

Agree, and that's what I found interesting about the French guys riding for him on Sunday.  Obviously, teams/riders will ride the tour differently, but if say, Barguil and Bardet don't have much to ride for in the final week, I do wonder if we'll see a similar reaction if Pinot is in contention.  Think the French just want a French winner!

Can see the logic with Froome.  Was only ever going to be a support rider, so why not give him a go in the Vuelta?
Interested to see the dynamic with Carapaz in the team, as it could develop in to an interesting leadership battle with Bernal.

Yes the french did try help Pinot out on Sunday’s stage but I cannot see that happening day in day out over 21 stages. If Roglic is fit and doesn’t crash he will win it quite easily, if he isn’t then it’s wide out.
Froome and G weren’t players, but it does show how cold Brailsford is. 

On 19/08/2020 at 17:16, John Doe said:

2 positive COVID tests in a team and team thrown out of the race. 4K+ Covid-19 new cases in the last few days in France, I cannot see it being a worthwhile race or maybe like the Paris nice, cut short. 

19 hours ago, Remy the hare said:

2 positive COVID tests in a team and team thrown out of the race. 4K+ Covid-19 new cases in the last few days in France, I cannot see it being a worthwhile race or maybe like the Paris nice, cut short. 

You could be right.  I suspect though that the UCI, ASO and the French Govt. will all be desperate to get the race to Paris... any way, any how!

On 19/08/2020 at 17:16, John Doe said:

Froomey will be the team leader at the Vuelta and Thomas at the Giro. 

On 22/08/2020 at 16:19, oomarkwright said:

Froomey will be the team leader at the Vuelta and Thomas at the Giro. 

It’s the ultimate demotion in cycling terms to be left out of the tour squad especially being a past winner. And then to be told “we are saving you for the giro and Vuelta” won’t soften the blow.

The tour is the champions league the giro and Vuelta are the FA cup and league cup, were you play the youngest and fringe players.  

44 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

It’s the ultimate demotion in cycling terms to be left out of the tour squad especially being a past winner. And then to be told “we are saving you for the giro and Vuelta” won’t soften the blow.

The tour is the champions league the giro and Vuelta are the FA cup and league cup, were you play the youngest and fringe players.  

i just think Brailsford thinks they have a chance of winning the lot. 
It is amazing how he puts the team in front of any emotion....local lad too, maybe we should get him in as the next manager..?

Archived