EFL Championship 20/21

Ambitious

As the transfer window is now open, I thought it would be a good idea to set up a Championship thread for the upcoming season. It's a place to laugh, mock and exert verbal diarrhea ahead of the new season. 

We know Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich are joining us in the Championship. Bournemouth and Watford being relatively established in the Premier League before being relegated. Norwich did a gap year in the Premier League before returning. It will be good to see Coventry back, albeit playing in Birmingham, plus Rotherham who have done their own gap year. Wycombe, I'd imagine will struggle after being promoted despite 8th in the League One. Three of Fulham, Brentford, Cardiff and Swansea will remain. 

We have a court case hanging over our head, although other than that we should be in for a stable summer. I don't think there is many Championship clubs who can say that, really, as the financial impairment of covid-19 gets realised.  I'd imagine the loan market will be quite competitive, but would imagine for an historic low quantity of incomings. 

Discuss.. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fancy Brentford to reach the Promised Land’ in my humble. Once again a tough division. Fifth biggest in the world says a huge amount. Us and Florist becoming almost ‘Founder Members’ it feels like as the longest residents. Well done Coventry with what they’ve been through/ are going through. Plus they have the rarest old kit in demand (poo with stripes).  Wycombe I’m pleased for, Akinfenwa terrorising our defence... you know he’ll score against us. And say it quietly, but please, some fans allowed in games. With a fair outcome of the EFL debacle, hopefully sooner rather than later, Phil can then go about his continuing work of rebuilding our team adding to the young guns. BRING IT ON 2020/1 

109A02C4-E41F-4CFC-BDA1-4703493CB476.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Who’s going to be the first club to challenge the authority of the EFL?

Breakaway league.....? Or just demand the EFL be reformed or replaced with an equivalent organisation at the same place in the sports overall structure?

I think there's a lot of clubs unhappy, but the lack of a viable alternative is keeping the lid on things for now.

21 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Who’s going to be the first club to challenge the authority of the EFL?

I know very little with regards to football politics and behind the scenes shenanigans, but it really, really wouldn't surprise me if it was us.  Mel just strikes me as not being the sort to back down, if he's adamant he's in the right... and nor should he!  ?

Weakest the division has been in a long long time for me, especially if Fulham win the playoffs. Watford is the only other team I’m really scared of. There’s a big opportunity for someone to do good business over the summer and take the division by storm. I hope that’s us. Could be the best chance for a while.

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Breakaway league.....? Or just demand the EFL be reformed or replaced with an equivalent organisation at the same place in the sports overall structure?

I think there's a lot of clubs unhappy, but the lack of a viable alternative is keeping the lid on things for now.

I don’t think a breakaway league is possible with the Covid/state of finances, etc.

I think the best scenario at the moment is to reform it in some way, whether that’s by replacing the top individual(s) or a more root and branch reform is hard to say as I’m not sure how ingrained the problems are.

I think there are a number of unhappy clubs as well and it’ll only take a handful to band together to demand changes and they league will have problems

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I know very little with regards to football politics and behind the scenes shenanigans, but it really, really wouldn't surprise me if it was us.  Mel just strikes me as not being the sort to back down, if he's adamant he's in the right... and nor should he!  ?

Could be, it’s also possible that alliances could be formed with other aggrieved clubs.

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Already shown that with digital streaming rights and the TV deal - I know us and Leeds pushed strongly on that and bumbyof other clubs did their own thing instead of ifollow.

Mel certainly didn't go in accepting "this is how the football business works, so do that" and we had the "Derby way" talk. I still think Mel believes in that, but he did not enjoy being taken for a ride by Sam Rush.

12 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Weakest the division has been in a long long time for me, especially if Fulham win the playoffs. Watford is the only other team I’m really scared of. There’s a big opportunity for someone to do good business over the summer and take the division by storm. I hope that’s us. Could be the best chance for a while.

Completely agree with this.

Of the teams coming down, despite winning the league convincingly the other year Norwich didn't strengthen and spent the season getting tonked every week, we know from experience how difficult that can be to turn around. That coupled with potentially selling some of their talented youngsters means I think they'll struggle. Bournemouth have been in a steady decline for a couple of years, have already lost Fraser and I'd expect Ake, King and Wilson to move on as well, potentially even the keeper too meaning they'd need a new spine. Watford will probably lose a couple of players but will still have a good squad, who knows who will be in charge at the start of the season or how many managers they'll get through though.

Of the teams in and around the playoffs this year, if Brentford stay down you imagine some of their better players will be cherry picked, you'd back them to replace them but they generally buy players to improve rather than the finished article so might take a step back next year. Fulham have spent money for the past couple of years so ffp or whatever it's called now might start catching up to them, they've also been a bit erratic form wise under Parker. Swansea have a lot of players on loan similar to us last year so they'll have a rebuilding job on, Cardiff have been pretty steady all season so might be in and around it again. If you believe the forest threads they're are up against it financially and are going to have to sell, they have been rubbish for a while though after getting into a good position. 

Add all that with the financial insecurity of a lot of clubs meaning they might not be able to strengthen how they'd like and it doesn't look like there'll be a lot to be afraid of in the league next season.

14 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

14 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Premier League division 1 anybody?

14 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

I have read this statement, with minor variants, almost every year for the last 10 years. 

Archived