Interest in our players

Anag Ram

I was having a similar discussion with a Villa mate of mine, yesterday. 

I asked him, already knowing the answer, who their 2 best players were this season. Grealish and McGinn was the answer, who played the previous season. What about the £130 million they spent on other players? I don't think any of them are worth the money Villa paid for them, it puts our spending in the shade. 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, ram59 said:

I asked him, already knowing the answer, who their 2 best players were this season. Grealish and McGinn was the answer, who played the previous season. What about the £130 million they spent on other players? I don't think any of them are worth the money Villa paid for them, it puts our spending in the shade. 

The crucial differential being that they will have played 2 seasons in the Premiership with all of the associated financial rewards whereas we have failed to do so. Massive amount of difference. If our spending had realised the intended results then the justifications wouldn't be so hard to back up. 

38 minutes ago, ram59 said:

They axed their sporting director as his transfers were dissapointing.

"Villa were committed to a full review of their transfer policy after spending £118m on new players last summer, many of whom failed to meet expectations"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53565870

Tyler is right, when you are in the Premier you have a much bigger pot to dip into, but it's not bottomless.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

I think they bought a few decent players.

wesley from Bruges will turn out to be a good player.

similarly bjorn Engels (Although he did do his cruciate ligament).

It’s not that easy to buy the right players for low money. Norwich had little or no success. West Ham always struggle to buy decent players. Watford have failed. Even sheff Utd might get some comeuppance : Robinson £8m?, And that bloke with his socks around his ankles for 16m? Now after John swift for £3.5m??

9 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Despite his terrible form / injuries this year, i would take Marriott with a leg missing before Lawrence. He must be one of the most overrated buys of recent years. I know he always gets picked, but he's not had much opposition for a place until recently.

It's a good job he didn't take up boxing I suppose?

Who overrates Lawrence? Hardly ever see a good thing said about him.

10 goals and 5 assists from 40 games this season.

That's compared to 11 goals and 6 assists from Martin.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

What's that comparison got to do with anything? Striker with more goals than a winger? Lawrence has more goals and assists than our fullbacks too.

11 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

You can also say that Zoon has also been a waste of money to a lesser extent but still a few million quid shelled out on someone who hasn't justified their transfer fee. 

Keogh, Martin and Bryson have probably been our best value for money signings which seem such a long time ago now is depressing.

Whoever is in charge of our recruitment seriously wants reaming out if someone hasn't already done it. 

Tom Ince ? Plenty of goals and good sell on ? Vydra the same ?

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just out of curiosity, how many games was that from? Admittedly I'm too lazy to Google it.

8 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Just out of curiosity, how many games was that from? Admittedly I'm too lazy to Google it.

Martin made 35 appearances compared to Lawrence's 37.

Although the difference in minutes played is about 12 games worth.

TL isn't a striker though (and was our 2nd highest rated player on whoscored this season - to interact with earlier Lawrence comments in this thread). The minutes per goal comparison with Martin is more damning for Waghorn than anyone else.

4 hours ago, Srg said:

What's that comparison got to do with anything? Striker with more goals than a winger? Lawrence has more goals and assists than our fullbacks too.

Erm it shows that our overrated winger, who many see as a waste of money who should be sold immediately, has only 1 less goal and 1 less assist than our main striker whom, I regularly see it reported on here, has the best rate for contribution to goals in the league.

Does all interest become public knowledge?

Let’s say for example, Bristol City give Bogle’s agent a call to ask how he’s doing. Agent then rings Bogle who says I’m doing great but thanks for asking. That’s that.

It’s so hard to even know what is genuine interest, look at all the players we’ve been “linked” with already, journalists throwing clubs names in to get clicks on their stories.

Maybe I’m getting old and boring but been through so many transfer windows now, I look forward to deadline day not for the yellow ties, but because it’s almost over. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Let’s say for example, Bristol City give Bogle’s agent a call to ask how he’s doing. Agent then rings Bogle who says I’m doing great but thanks for asking. That’s that.

It’s so hard to even know what is genuine interest, look at all the players we’ve been “linked” with already, journalists throwing clubs names in to get clicks on their stories.

Maybe I’m getting old and boring but been through so many transfer windows now, I look forward to deadline day not for the yellow ties, but because it’s almost over. 

Jim White has really gone off the boil recently.... 

27 minutes ago, David said:

Also, for every month long transfer saga there’s about ten signings that happen in the course of a week or less.

No speculation about us signing Malone or Holmes, the first we knew of them was on the day it happened. Waghorn was smiling next to a Derby shirt a couple days after we were first linked to him. Even the Rooney signings happened in the blink of an eye.

You are definitely getting old though.

7 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Why oh why can't anybody but anybody become really really become interested in someone WE desperately want to get rid of preferably for decent fee as well. 

It's that to wishfully thinking

We could contact Dortmund and see if they still want Malone. They have just spent 25 million on a very ordinary young player from Birmingham so it appears they have an eccentric loon in charge of the purse strings. Worth a punt. 

Archived