Interest in our players

Anag Ram

I'm not sure whether the club is very good at keeping things quiet but year in, year out there seems to be little interest in our players come transfer window time. 

We finished the season well and whenever we're on TV everyone compliments our squad yet few get good offers. 

Any thoughts? 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because historically we have grossly overpaid for players and sat them on large contracts so no one in their right minds is even going to make a casual enquiry. 

As these same players have also failed to live up to their price tags then the only clubs who could afford them in the Premiership wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. 

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Because historically we have grossly overpaid for players and sat them on large contracts so no one in their right minds is even going to make a casual enquiry. 

As these same players have also failed to live up to their price tags then the only clubs who could afford them in the Premiership wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. 

This.

Although it does make me wonder why we never saw bids for Hughes or more recently, Bogle.

not sure why its a benefit for the club to be good at keeping bids quiet. Surely making it known a bid has come in would then alert other clubs who have some interest to make a move. Therefore creating a bidding war. That is IF there is ever mutiple interest in one of our players.  

5 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

not sure why its a benefit for the club to be good at keeping bids quiet. Surely making it known a bid has come in would then alert other clubs who have some interest to make a move. Therefore creating a bidding war. That is IF there is ever mutiple interest in one of our players.  

You wonder don't you. Even with Vydra who was a highly saleable asset we only had one offer in for him from Leeds then when his move collapsed Burnley came in for him afterwards.

Not sure if this is an indictment of the quality of our players or the way the club positions itself to do business.

58 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm not sure whether the club is very good at keeping things quiet but year in, year out there seems to be little interest in our players come transfer window time. 

We finished the season well and whenever we're on TV everyone compliments our squad yet few get good offers. 

Any thoughts? 

With Watford dropping out of the PL and Burnley seemingly not willing to spend, who else is there who buys from us?

58 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Any thoughts? 

You raise some interesting points ,and as previously mentioned Derbys recent history of overpaying for players and their contracts is probably a major hurdle. Take into account many of these signings haven't performed or improved sufficiently to warrant any significant increase in value and the fact that unless a prem club came in for them very few clubs could offer the quality of training / facilities and fan base making it unattractive for players wanting to depart.I also believe Derbys relative high profile and ambition enables selling clubs to try and bang on a few quid whilst when selling players clubs are aware of reasons for sale.

Hughes ,and Vydra  certainly went undervalued in my opinion.Johnny Russell was worth his weight in hold for us but was never going to nett us millions .Anya and the likes we couldn't give away in a raffle.?

7 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

As the only players I think other teams would be interested in are our youngsters, the less interest I hear of from other teams the better! I don't want any 'half tempting' offers coming in with our record of letting players leave on the cheap!

We may have to be a bit flexible. 

There's no doubt we need a few in and something has to pay for that. 

Let's hope there's a few fringe players who get offers. 

24 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

As the only players I think other teams would be interested in are our youngsters, the less interest I hear of from other teams the better! I don't want any 'half tempting' offers coming in with our record of letting players leave on the cheap!

Other clubs may be interested, but our asking price is way too high for them to consider putting an offer in

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Whilst very harsh it’s also very true - sadly 

We have a habit of buying 'big' and selling players for what is 'perceived' to be less than their 'market'value'. 

Maybe clubs maybe holding back to see the result of our tribunal case with EFL and 'shake out' from that. 

They may think that there maybe some bargains to be had later on if they wait.

My concern is that premier league clubs will bide their time, wait until the first window closes and during the final 2 weeks where only English clubs can trade, they will try low ball offers to get players from clubs.

Im just hoping we dont find ourselves desperate for cash in order for Cocu to get a couple of players in and we do similar to what we did with Hughes.

I think Lawrence would still command a decent fee, other teams would fancy him as his highlights reel would be impressive. 

Waghorn we overpaid on, but is worth a couple of million. Likewise Marriott. 

Bogle is worth £5-10m..all the other emerging academy players need another half season before being ripe enough to sell. 

Added to those already mentioned..we haven't really brought on any of the players we have over paid major fees for. Very disappointing transfer dealings ...Butterfield, Johnson, Anya, Blackman, Shackell...really wasteful. 

22 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

I think Lawrence would still command a decent fee, other teams would fancy him as his highlights reel would be impressive.

Despite his terrible form / injuries this year, i would take Marriott with a leg missing before Lawrence. He must be one of the most overrated buys of recent years. I know he always gets picked, but he's not had much opposition for a place until recently.

It's a good job he didn't take up boxing I suppose?

7 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I bet fans of almost every single club say exactly the same thing.

Almost every club imaginable loses money on 4 out of 5 players and the fans then presume they suck at getting the most from their sales.

Yet, other fans will look at the big sales they make and think they are crushing it simply because they don't pay attention to the players who slide off into oblivion.

20 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Added to those already mentioned..we haven't really brought on any of the players we have over paid major fees for. Very disappointing transfer dealings ...Butterfield, Johnson, Anya, Blackman, Shackell...really wasteful. 

You can also say that Zoon has also been a waste of money to a lesser extent but still a few million quid shelled out on someone who hasn't justified their transfer fee. 

Keogh, Martin and Bryson have probably been our best value for money signings which seem such a long time ago now is depressing.

Whoever is in charge of our recruitment seriously wants reaming out if someone hasn't already done it. 

3 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I bet fans of almost every single club say exactly the same thing.

Almost every club imaginable loses money on 4 out of 5 players and the fans then presume they suck at getting the most from their sales.

Yet, other fans will look at the big sales they make and think they are crushing it simply because they don't pay attention to the players who slide off into oblivion.

I don't think any club would want to take a leaf out of our book on recruitment quite honestly unless they were determined to end up in financial oblivion. 

I'm not talking about losses per se am talking about paying ridiculous prices for players vastly over market value.

Archived