Macauley Bonne

JfR

18 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Boo nne. Nomen est omen.

If/when Martin leaves, IMO signing a striker is one of the top priorities.

This lad is big, strong, hard-working, good in the air and linking up with a decent return of 11 goals and 2 assists in 2354 minutes.

Bring him in.

Would he be any better than Marriott or Waghorn though?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Would he be any better than Marriott or Waghorn though?

Comparison is pretty hard with limited amounts of seeing him, but I'd say he is better fit than either of them.

He is the sort of player we would have spent £3m+ on a couple of seasons ago so for 1m he could be worth a go as i doubt it would be 1m upfront.

Personally think we need another striker regardless of if Martin stays. We need a quick, strong, athletic type (mix of Martin, Marriott & Waghorn), not entirely sure if Bonne fits that mould as ive not seen enough of him to judge.

Scored goals this season against Leeds, Fulham, Derby, Bristol City, West Brom, Sheff Weds, Bristol (again - twice), Brentford, Birmingham and Wigan.*

All the teams in bold finished top half.  He played in a relegated team.  And virtually all those goals garnered points.  None of those Britt Asombalonga consolation type goals.

We definitely need to improve our forward line and I wouldn't be opposed to this deal at the right price.  I'd view it as an upgrade on Mason Bennett.

*When he scored against Wigan they were the form team in the league.  So I've bolded them. So there.

15 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Good to know, we like turning centre forwards into wingers.

We love it, buy a player who scores for fun up front and stick them out on the right wing.

Or the best one, Butterfield, a player a who was a great attacking midfielder for Huddersfield with a mean shot on him and a fair amount of goals to his name and we stick him in defensive mid and tell him to stop shooting.

I live in SE London and, because my son is a Charlton fan, the two of us are Charlton season ticket holders.  

Bonne has done very well given he was playing non- league last year.  He has an eye for goal.  But he's  up and down and has missed quite a few chances post restart too. He's not a Martin replacement. He doesn't hold the ball up, rather he's more a poacher. He's ok. Wouldn't be someone I'd sign unless Marriott leaves and even then I'd rather we give JHI a go. If he signed, I don't think it'd be with a view to him starting.  He's more a backup striker I reckon (he was for Charlton until Taylor gotb injured).

Lyle Taylor is very good indeed at this level.  He's who I'd go for (despite his antics when he refused to play). Strong, clever, and takes a penalty like you wouldn't believe. Arrogant (in a good way on field), winds opposition fans up. Character.  Winner.

Phillips (gk) is outstanding. He's not a sweeper keeper and we know cocu likes a ball playing gk.  But as a stopper he's superb. Calm. Assured.

Other player I'd be after is Nabby Sarr: ball playing CB. He takes risks (will attempt to nutmeg a player. That kind of thing) and leaves your heart in your mouth.  But 19 times out of 20 they come off. He pings the ball deliciously.  And he's an amazing finisher.  Gets moved up top in last 5 mins if chasing game

15 hours ago, Dimmu said:

Boo nne. Nomen est omen.

If/when Martin leaves, IMO signing a striker is one of the top priorities.

This lad is big, strong, hard-working, good in the air and linking up with a decent return of 11 goals and 2 assists in 2354 minutes.

Bring him in.

As posted elsewhere, I'm a Charlton season ticket holder. He's not that kind of player at all:

He's not big: under 6 ft.

He's not unusually strong.

Linking up isn't his thing either

He is good in the air. He's reasonably quick (not lightening fast), got good positional sense. When he plays on instinct he does well and has an eye for goal. When he has time to think his decision making lets him down a bit (or has done).  

As I said in my other post, I don't think he's someone Derby should really be looking at. If we get him, he'd be one for the bench.

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

In which case we'd leave it for now, wait for him to bag 25 in a season and then steam in waving Mel's £5m or so around......

......and then stick him on the wing and start moaning ?

'The Derby way'!

12 hours ago, Gritty said:

I live in SE London and, because my son is a Charlton fan, the two of us are Charlton season ticket holders.  

Bonne has done very well given he was playing non- league last year.  He has an eye for goal.  But he's  up and down and has missed quite a few chances post restart too. He's not a Martin replacement. He doesn't hold the ball up, rather he's more a poacher. He's ok. Wouldn't be someone I'd sign unless Marriott leaves and even then I'd rather we give JHI a go. If he signed, I don't think it'd be with a view to him starting.  He's more a backup striker I reckon (he was for Charlton until Taylor gotb injured).

Lyle Taylor is very good indeed at this level.  He's who I'd go for (despite his antics when he refused to play). Strong, clever, and takes a penalty like you wouldn't believe. Arrogant (in a good way on field), winds opposition fans up. Character.  Winner.

Phillips (gk) is outstanding. He's not a sweeper keeper and we know cocu likes a ball playing gk.  But as a stopper he's superb. Calm. Assured.

Other player I'd be after is Nabby Sarr: ball playing CB. He takes risks (will attempt to nutmeg a player. That kind of thing) and leaves your heart in your mouth.  But 19 times out of 20 they come off. He pings the ball deliciously.  And he's an amazing finisher.  Gets moved up top in last 5 mins if chasing game

You can view any amount of highlights videos but nothing compares to local knowledge like this.

12 hours ago, Gritty said:

Lyle Taylor also 30. Past the age of players I’d like us to go for. 

2 hours ago, Srg said:

Lyle Taylor also 30. Past the age of players I’d like us to go for. 

Granted we don't want to follow the Dad's Army route which Rowett took us down but I wouldn't exclude someone like Taylor because of his age. After all, West Broms' two top scorers this season have been Charlie Austin and Robson-Kanu, both 31 and they've helped their team get where we want to be.

11 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Granted we don't want to follow the Dad's Army route which Rowett took us down but I wouldn't exclude someone like Taylor because of his age. After all, West Broms' two top scorers this season have been Charlie Austin and Robson-Kanu, both 31 and they've helped their team get where we want to be.

And ask any West Brom fan, and they've been way sub par. If they had Dwight Gayle again they'd have been promoted weeks ago. Not that I'm claiming that's an age thing, but we have some experience as is, and it's youth revolution time.

Archived