Birmingham City to retire Jude Bellingham's shirt...

Andicis

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just posted this in the game thread but yeah... really weird. Not uncommon in American sport but usually reserved for legends, or players that die. So as he’s not dead, what are they doing for 1 season and 4 goals? (and Sibley upstaging him in just 25 minutes last night)

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Just posted this in the game thread but yeah... really weird. Not uncommon in American sport but usually reserved for legends, or players that die. So as he’s not dead, what are they doing for 1 season and 4 goals? (and Sibley upstaging him in just 25 minutes last night)

Retiring the number of a player who doesn't even have 50 appearances for them is proper tin pot. Definitely right to be proud of one of their own making it, but not like that.... cringe worthy.

31 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Retiring the number of a player who doesn't even have 50 appearances for them is proper tin pot. Definitely right to be proud of one of their own making it, but not like that.... cringe worthy.

I'd have thought it was a joke if it had been any other club, but in Brum's case....

55 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Full-on tinpot behaviour. Some examples of players that haven't had their shirts retired;

Frank Lampard

Thierry Henry

Tony Adams

Christiano Ronaldo

Paolo Maldini

Steven Gerrard

Andrea Pirlo

Alan Shearer

Nick Blackman 

Not sure about the last one. 

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Full-on tinpot behaviour. Some examples of players that haven't had their shirts retired;

Frank Lampard

Thierry Henry

Tony Adams

Christiano Ronaldo

Paolo Maldini

Steven Gerrard

Andrea Pirlo

Alan Shearer

Wow didn’t realise they had played for brum ?

I thought this was proper tinpot when I saw it too. 

hes not even ‘made it’ yet. He’s been bought by borussia Dortmund. He could spend the next 3 years sat in the bench and end up back in the championship. How’s that lad doing that forest sold for millions?

its like the best a brim player can hope for, a sign that he’s really made it, is if he can get the duck out of Birmingham. What sort of message is that?

i suppose it’s a bit justifiable cos it’s an obscure number. You couldn’t really retire shearer’s number 9 shirt and never have another number 9 ever again. I’m which case it’s a bit of an empty gesture. We might as well retire whittakers shirt number now, not like we’ll really need 49 any time soon. 

Archived