Huddersfield Sack the Cowley Brothers

David

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, GenBr said:

We paid £3 mill for Blackman who got 11 goals in half a season - whoever is paying £15 mill for a guy who has had one alright season in the Championship needs to give their head a wobble.

As long as it isn't us offering that kind of money it will be fun to laugh at another club paying such ludicrous transfer fees for a change. I'm guessing it can't be anyone other than one of the parachute sides offering that kind of money though - maybe Stoke.

Isn't it Stoke's last parachute season? Having flirted with relegation all season surely that would be risky wages wise? They must have some fairly hefty wages still on their books.

6 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Isn't it Stoke's last parachute season? Having flirted with relegation all season surely that would be risky wages wise? They must have some fairly hefty wages still on their books.

Final year but I don’t think they could afford it with the size of their wage bill. West Brom, Brentford or even Bristol would be my guesses. 

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Final year but I don’t think they could afford it with the size of their wage bill. West Brom, Brentford or even Bristol would be my guesses. 

10 hours ago, richinspain said:

I dont think Bristol is in the running unless they sell someone for big money - they operate similar to us these days - selling to buy.

If we're discounting Stoke for high wages and last year of parachute payments we can't be including West Brom either then - or Fulham for that matter.

I'd be surprised if it were Brentford as well - doesn't fit their model.

5 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I dont think Bristol is in the running unless they sell someone for big money - they operate similar to us these days - selling to buy.

£12.7m profit it 18/19. Similar again in 19/20 after making big profits off Webster, Kelly and Brownhill. A lot of spare cash for them to splurge on a big playoff push.

If we're discounting Stoke for high wages and last year of parachute payments we can't be including West Brom either then - or Fulham for that matter.

Stoke's high wage bill means they've probably only just stayed within P&S limits for the current period. They can't sell a lot of their players without making a loss, making their P&S situation even worse!
They'll need to make serious cuts just to make it next season. Fulham similar.
West Brom however, are much more financially stable, having cut their wages significantly more than Stoke after dropping to the Championship. Made a 6.6m loss in their first season back at this level and it'll be similar this season - quite a bit of legroom for one big signing. Probably with the view that they're already promoted as well.

I'd be surprised if it were Brentford as well - doesn't fit their model.

One of the only other sides with enough P&S legroom to make a signing of this size. Fits the style of player they want. With the chances Brentford create he'll score more than he has this season at Huddersfield, and his value will only got up. They got £20m for Maupay, and would get more for Grant even if they stay in the Championship.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

£12.7m profit it 18/19. Similar again in 19/20 after making big profits off Webster, Kelly and Brownhill. A lot of spare cash for them to splurge on a big playoff push.

Stoke's high wage bill means they've probably only just stayed within P&S limits for the current period. They can't sell a lot of their players without making a loss, making their P&S situation even worse!
They'll need to make serious cuts just to make it next season. Fulham similar.
West Brom however, are much more financially stable, having cut their wages significantly more than Stoke after dropping to the Championship. Made a 6.6m loss in their first season back at this level and it'll be similar this season - quite a bit of legroom for one big signing. Probably with the view that they're already promoted as well.

One of the only other sides with enough P&S legroom to make a signing of this size. Fits the style of player they want. With the chances Brentford create he'll score more than he has this season at Huddersfield, and his value will only got up. They got £20m for Maupay, and would get more for Grant even if they stay in the Championship.

I don't agree RE - Brentford - unless they are planning on abandoning the model that has worked so successfully for them so far I see very little chance that they will splurge £15 mill on one player unless it is split into addons, etc.

I am well aware of Bristols transfer activity that's why I said I'd be surprised if they spend so much money on one player without already having a big sale lined up. They are a well run club and don't look to make significant losses on transfers - perhaps with the change of manager this will be different, but still can't see it myself.

West Broms wage bill was still almost £50 mill in 18/19 - Stokes was only slightly higher than that - it doesn't leave them with a lot of wiggle room with the reduction in parachute payments. The only thing in their favour is that they made a profit on transfers unlike Stoke who spunked it all away on Gary Rowett signings. They will still have to find another £17 mill from somewhere when parachutes drop - I doubt they can then also spend £15 mill on a transfer unless they make significant sales.

I don't agree RE - Brentford - unless they are planning on abandoning the model that has worked so successfully for them so far I see very little chance that they will splurge £15 mill on one player unless it is split into addons, etc.

I am well aware of Bristols transfer activity that's why I said I'd be surprised if they spend so much money on one player without already having a big sale lined up. They are a well run club and don't look to make significant losses on transfers - perhaps with the change of manager this will be different, but still can't see it myself.

West Broms wage bill was still almost £50 mill in 18/19 - Stokes was only slightly higher than that - it doesn't leave them with a lot of wiggle room with the reduction in parachute payments. The only thing in their favour is that they made a profit on transfers unlike Stoke who spunked it all away on Gary Rowett signings. They will still have to find another £17 mill from somewhere when parachutes drop - I doubt they can then also spend £15 mill on a transfer unless they make significant sales.

Based on my calculations, these are the clubs in a better P&S situation than West Brom: Boro, Derby, Blackburn, Charlton, QPR, Preston, Brentford, Millwall, Bristol, Barnsley, Luton.

I think we can instantly dismiss a number of those. If not West Brom, Brentford, or Bristol, I can't see who it would be. In P&S terms, West Brom were approximately £65m better off than Stoke for the 2019 period, with similar projected for 2020. It would take a miracle for Stoke to turn things around so considerably that they can then go out and spend another £15m on a player.

It could be is Birmingham once they've sold Bellingham, or Leeds although after spending a massive chunk of their money for next season already (£30m on Costa and Augustin), it may be risky for them.

It's certainly not Wigan or Hull. Fulham, Cardiff, Forest, and Reading too close to the limits. Wednesday and Derby won't commit to that without knowing the verdict from their hearings. Swansea going in to their final parachute season and will continue to cut costs.

Archived