Which positions would you like to see us strengthen this summer?

Day

Summer Targets  

149 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GK and CB are the obvious ones. We could make do with Waghorn, Knight and Whittaker at RW (and I’d be happy with that), but for a serious shot at promotion we need a new signing. 

As @Dimmu says, there’s zero chance of us signing a CM with Bird, Rooney, Sibley, Evans, Bielik, Shinnie, Holmes and Knight all options in this area (Lawrence in the AM position is also a possibility).

Given our recent spending patterns, I don’t think we have to sell anyone to fund signings in other positions. For example, selling Bogle to have the money to buy a new RB and RW.

We’ll only sign someone who can play...
RB, if we sell Bogle. 
LB, if Fozzy, Lowe and Malone are all sold. 
LW, if Lawrence is sold. 
CF, if two of Martin, Waghorn and Marriott leave. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We’ll only sign someone who can play...
RB, if we sell Bogle. 

I voted RB without selling Bogle, he needs real competition for his place which we don’t have. 

It’s also a worry if he picked up a long term injury. 

We have Wisdom, but I prefer him at CB

I put GK, CD, LW and RW. They for me would be the ideal, however GK and just one from the two forward positions I would be happy. I don't think anyone would say that the prime target should be anywhere other than GK.

We do desperately need a quality winger, with what we already have at our disposal filling in on the other wing. Tom Lawrence and Martyn Waghorn are more than capable but just don't provide the necessary width and pace we are crying out for. One of them is fine, but both for the whole season we are a bit lacking.

CD we have got players who along with Te Wierk should be able to cover the whole season, but if we can afford to bring someone in either permanent or on loan that is better then great.

We have got so many players who are more than adequate as cover, but it seems that we are just lacking that extra bit of quality.

There are a lot of areas in the squad when you could say we need players, but most urgent attention has to be paid to the goalkeeper and centre back positions, followed by another wide man. 

Full backs seem to be in decent shape, I’d be happy for Lowe and Bogle to be the starting left and right backs. Forsyth and Wisdom offer more than adequate backup/different options. Central midfield and attacking midfield are possibly over stocked with Bird, Rooney, Sibley, Shinnie, Bielik, Knight and Holmes all able to fill the three positions. Upfront, Martin (providing he signs a new deal), Waghorn, Marriott and Hector-Ingram offer a good range of players. 

Out wide we look light, Holmes and Knight aren’t really wide players, but can do a job, Waghorn is similar, but seems to be his most effective there rather than up front. With Zoon likely leaving it leaves us with only Lawrence and Whitaker as recognised wingers and even then you could argue Lawrence does his best work as a number 10, and Whitaker looks like a loan into league one, playing every week might do him more good than being a back up here. 

For the summer a gk, a cb and a rw should be the priority, and leave us in good stead for the 20/21 campaign. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

I voted RB without selling Bogle, he needs real competition for his place which we don’t have. 

It’s also a worry if he picked up a long term injury. 

We have Wisdom, but I prefer him at CB

I agree with you in an ideal world, but I don't think finances are there to buy competition. We need to buy players that are going to improve the team straight away, not just battle it out with what we already have. We've got three, and possibly four if you include Buchanan, left backs who are all more than capable and providing competition. Nobody has stepped up to the plate yet and took the position by the scruff of the neck, saying "I'm first choice, you've got to be bloody good to take it off me".

I've quoted Arthur Cox many times after he signed Ted McMinn. "The minute I've signed a player I'm looking to replace him with better". Surely that has to be the strategy? Improve what you already have, the replaced player is your backup. Constantly signing players as competition for each other can only mean one thing, you stay exactly as you are (ok, a 1 or 2% improvement due to the competition, but not a marked improvement)

We've been so close for so long now, but we just haven't improved on the players we already had. We're not going to sign a Wayne Rooney for every position, but just look how he has improved players alongside him. A couple more strong improvements could be all we need to push the rest of the squad on. When we're the Real Madrid or Barcelona of this country (England), then we can look to bring in competition for places. Right now we need better than we've already got!

Given that I don't think we're going to be spending big, I have gone for GK, CB and RW.

Would be more than happy for the CB to be Clarke again.

Feel we need some additional creative attacking flair, would free Waghorn up to challenge for that CF position. 

A good goalkeeper is a must. I would like to see someone solid and consistent there. Important to have a settled understanding with the defence. 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Given that I don't think we're going to be spending big, I have gone for GK, CB and RW.

Would be more than happy for the CB to be Clarke again.

Feel we need some additional creative attacking flair, would free Waghorn up to challenge for that CF position. 

A good goalkeeper is a must. I would like to see someone solid and consistent there. Important to have a settled understanding with the defence. 

Was about to post exactly this. One thing we need to focus on is them fitting into how the team plays. The GK for example needs to be comfortable on the ball. 

What I've put though is under the assumption that Martin signs a new contract. If he goes then we will likely have to bring in a new CF. 

GK and RW for sure. Think we've got enough everywhere else assuming:

a) Bielik and new Dutch guy make a good CB pairing

b) Martin signs and Marriott gets fit.

Would be good if the RW could play on left too so players can change more/more cover. Think we need a proper high quality player in this position if we can afford it/pull a rabbit out of the hat. Cocu and Rooney combo is surely a big draw, perhaps another Rooney-esque free signing of a former top player?

100% new keeper. Without that we will never get close to getting out of this league. 

Midfield is probably as balanced as its been for many years and there's more youth to follow yet. 

Defense could do with Clarke next year but I'd have no complaints at Wizzy and the new lad in there. 

Even our attacking options are pretty comfortable. A real quality winger even as a loan would make all the difference next year. 

Cocu's chat has been interesting this last week or so. I suspect that he envisaged Rooney playing further forward and Bielik in the centre mid role with Huddlestone challenging/playing and Rooney further forward.

Rooney's success with Bird changes that and potentially leaves Bielik without a role unless it’s at CB. Presuming Wierik plays then potentially you have one of Wisdom, Bielik or Davies alongside him. Not the very best but not the worst either. You also have Fozzy as a very occasional back up. If Brighton stay up it would be good to have Clarke back but unfortunately that won’t be known until the season nearly starts given that Brighton will want to see him preseason.

Up front my bet is that CM will go.  I think he may well find someone to make him a better offer in the Championship. For us it will be a financial rather than football decision. We’ll aim for someone younger and quicker. And cheaper.  They’ll compete alongside Marriott and waggy. 
We then need a winger.

So, presuming that we have little to no money unless someone goes other than Tom Huddlestone or Chris Martin we’ll aim to get a goalie, CF and winger. If we sell either Bird or Sibley (as the two most marketable and valuable) we’ll aim to get them back on a season long loan and might then expand our search 

14 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Up front my bet is that CM will go.  I think he may well find someone to make him a better offer in the Championship. For us it will be a financial rather than football decision.

You'd think then he'd not want to risk injury playing for us now, he could easily 'cry off' with a golfing injury? ? 

2 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Cocu's chat has been interesting this last week or so. I suspect that he envisaged Rooney playing further forward and Bielik in the centre mid role with Huddlestone challenging/playing and Rooney further forward.

Rooney's success with Bird changes that and potentially leaves Bielik without a role unless it’s at CB. Presuming Wierik plays then potentially you have one of Wisdom, Bielik or Davies alongside him. Not the very best but not the worst either. You also have Fozzy as a very occasional back up. If Brighton stay up it would be good to have Clarke back but unfortunately that won’t be known until the season nearly starts given that Brighton will want to see him preseason.

Up front my bet is that CM will go.  I think he may well find someone to make him a better offer in the Championship. For us it will be a financial rather than football decision. We’ll aim for someone younger and quicker. And cheaper.  They’ll compete alongside Marriott and waggy. 
We then need a winger.

So, presuming that we have little to no money unless someone goes other than Tom Huddlestone or Chris Martin we’ll aim to get a goalie, CF and winger. If we sell either Bird or Sibley (as the two most marketable and valuable) we’ll aim to get them back on a season long loan and might then expand our search 

Has Mel said anything about not spending money next season?

13 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Has Mel said anything about not spending money next season?

Nope. Mind he hasn’t said anything about spending money either. Three new players won’t come free even if there’s no transfer fee involved and Mel has said very clearly on several occasions that spending more than our annual income on players' salaries alone is unsustainable. That means that there has to be a net gain on wages.  He's also said that he wants 50% of the first team matchday squad to be academy players from next season which means that you have to clear some space to allow that to happen either in the starting eleven or on the bench or both.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You'd think then he'd not want to risk injury playing for us now, he could easily 'cry off' with a golfing injury? ? 

You might. Except I think that Chris probably does want to stay if he can.  Don’t know why I think that, just do. At his age he probably thinks that he’s not got many seasons left and he might even have a clause in his contract that gives him a big bonus if we go up

Archived