DCFC Fans Player of the Season 19/20

David

Player of the Season 19/20  

274 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clarke for me.  He's been consistently good and has a great attitude, particularly for a loan player.  Not too many players have played a full season, so the choice was somewhat narrowed. 

I think it should only be about performances on the pitch.  Trying to assess a player's impact on the rest of the squad, as in Rooney's case, is guesswork really.  Form is every changing for football teams, and while it makes perfect sense that Rooney's presence helped those around him,  who knows how much of our improvement in the second half of the season was down to Rooney or how much of it was due to other factors.

The real highlight of the season for me has been the emergence of Sibley, Bird and Knight. They have been a breath of fresh air, and to be honest I think another full season in the Championship will do all of them the world of good. They should be ready to debut in the Premier League for the Rams in the 2021/2022 season, all going well ?

I like the American approach to this, calling it the MVP (most valuable player).

In that debate, there really isn't one.

It's Rooney, end of.

Yes, he's laboured the last few games but our march up the table was, in very large part, down to him.

However if we are taking the player of the season, being the most consistent player over all the season then that rules out Sibley, just because of the lack of games.

It also rules out players who you *think* would have been great in a different position. (cough: Forsyth)

It has to come down to performances, not conjecture.

Waghorn whilst being our top scorer has been average to put it kindly.

He's hardly terrorised defences, like say Vydra did.

Clarke started very well, then dropped off and has now since bounced back and been utterly reliable.

He's definitely a candidate.

Similarly, Lawrence started off on fire, then had the awful time that shall remain nameless, but then has clearly shown his worth to the team after being a dick and getting sent off, just when we needed him the most.

Should that remove him from consideration?

Maybe, but only if you're viewing it from the MVP perspective.

One of the things that Lawrence had been accused of is that he doesn't always make tackles when tracking back.

True, but more to the point, he always tracks back, unlike many Rams players over the years. 

Lawrence works harder than his face/demeanor would suggest. He is a trojan imho.

I don't think Wisdom has played enough games at a high level to get *my* vote.

We have to be careful of recency bias in which we value stuff that has happened lately (and so is easier to recall) over older stuff.

Over almost a year, has he played enough high quality football to be considered? I doubt it.

Bird has been good, although I'm not in the camp that says he's getting better every game.

He's definitely better than he was to begin with and I strongly believe he will be outstanding, but he ebbsa and flows as you would expect from a kid his age.

But, we are voting on games this season, not potential and not based on 'but he's only a teenager'

Nobody won an Olympic Gold Medal because even though they were only 0.1 seconds slower than the winner they were 10 years younger.

It has to be on performance. 

Sooooo, I voted for Lawrence, but I'd be ok with Rooney or Clarke, perhaps Bird.

Anybody else would be a stretch for me, personally.

Sith Happens
On 19/07/2020 at 16:55, Tamworthram said:

Still Clarke for me.

A bit sad though if the winner for the second year running is a player here on loan.

Just like when Tom Ince won young player when on loan and wasnt even here for half a season.

On 12/07/2020 at 13:02, David said:

I went for Rooney. 

Not on his own individual performances but the impact he’s had on our season has been unbelievable, without him I don’t think we would even be looking at the top 6.

Maybe that’s wrong, not what the award should be about, but I really don’t see anyone that has played consistently well throughout the full season to warrant the award which sounds incredibly harsh but that’s how I see it.

Oh and if anyone is wondering who voted Hamer, it was resident wind up merchant @bigbadbob although you may have already guessed and predicted that already.

Same.

Rooney influence on the post new year form is the reason for me.

Waghorn’s commitment to the cause I admired also in a more difficult position to play than Clarke.

On 12/07/2020 at 13:29, Malagaram said:

We dont have one.

So bloody true, credit to the youngsters though for their efforts and showing such promise.

Rooney Consistently good and a big impact but only played half the season.

Waggers ,Lawrence hot and cold.

Worst goalkeeping season i can remember.

Marriott a spectator most of the season.

not sure anyone worthy 

On 25/07/2020 at 14:29, harwich ram said:

bird for me but Clarke will win it I just don't like loan player's winning  poty 

I really don't think that it should matter whether or not the player is a loan player. We are rewarding the best performances in a Derby shirt over the whole season. The best player over the season should win it. End of. For Tomori last season and Clarke this season, their commitment to the cause could not be questioned - if you doubt Clarke's commitment, just check out his reaction to his own goal against Leeds in what was a nothing game.

Archived