Test Cricket is Back

sage

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

This may seem a radical team selection but I think I agree. There was never any point in 3 quicks anyway and Archer is showing more and more that might just be a waste of space. Drop him, Broad and Anderson and Bairstow as well (tell him not to come back until he can play properly). If we want some better batting and a bit of medium pace, pick Woakes.

Not sure who's available for the next one. Anyone going home or coming back?

Think Woakes is due to come home now. 

Batters we have to come in are Burns and Lawrence. Think we've missed Buttler and we should have left Bairstow at home until the white ball stuff. 

5 minutes ago, rynny said:

Wish he had someone that would stick in the middle with him 

True story. He's carried the team in recent weeks but in all honesty I think we've just run out of puff. Spending the thick end of a year in a bubble, it was never going to end well and finishing that process with series in India and Oz is just madness. It's really horrible seeing all the progress made being undone by a combination of fatigue, poor team selections and Indian umpires. It seems to me that greed has trumped good sense but in fairness, the cricket has helped to ease the tedium of lockdown.

On 26/02/2021 at 12:47, Curtains said:

Indians have tried to produce the same pitch but the pundits are saying it’s already behaving differently. Maybe we’ll miss our quicks !

Massive pressure on Bess - if he bowls pies again the fat lady might be singing about his test career 

45 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Indians have tried to produce the same pitch but the pundits are saying it’s already behaving differently. Maybe we’ll miss our quicks !

Massive pressure on Bess - if he bowls pies again the fat lady might be singing about his test career 

Yes, this is a more balanced pitch. Some turn and bounce but England have made a pig’s ear of their first innings advantage.

They will need 250 at least but don’t look like getting that. 

Brilliant spin bowling by India but I can’t help thinking we are still too defensive. We wait for the four ball but take too few ones and twos. 

If you just defend, the bowlers can try all their variations. Those who have scored runs in these conditions are the ones that kept the scoreboard ticking along.

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

England struggling again 

188-8 

We're 100 runs short of par at least.  That pitch did almost nothing for 50 overs.  Then there was a bit of extra turn and bounce, but we just played poorly. Crawley - completely gave it away, Sibley fell for the straight ball again, Bairstow - caught on the crease, Root - likewise (although was a good ball), Stokes - straight ball playing a lazy shot, Pope - extremely unlucky, Lawrence - moment of madness after playing nicely, Foakes - didn't get in, Ashwin had started to make it talk by then...

Should have been 250-5 on that pitch at the close.

They look demoralised and not in the frame of mind required to really push the best side in the world at home. To be fair though, being locked in a bubble probably doesn't help.

Too reliant on Root and Anderson.

I’m pleased Pope and Lawrence got a few, but a few isn’t what they’re there for.

India will get 300 and we will be the nervous kittens again in the second innings.

Harsh lessons for our chaps. We continue to struggle against spin. 

I note Trescothick has a coaching role now, following on from Ramprakash and Thorpe.

Maybe it’s time to get an Indian batting coach. The commentary team seemed to pick up on their failings pretty quickly.

Poor again. We seem to have reverted to type. We win the toss and fail spectacularly to capitalise and having dominated the first teat, we now look favourites to lose the last three and with them, the series. Too many batsmen playing T20 cricket in a test match IMO.

38 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Poor again. We seem to have reverted to type. We win the toss and fail spectacularly to capitalise and having dominated the first teat, we now look favourites to lose the last three and with them, the series. Too many batsmen playing T20 cricket in a test match IMO.

cute-cartoon-cow-animation-6.gif

?

4 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

We're 100 runs short of par at least.  That pitch did almost nothing for 50 overs.  Then there was a bit of extra turn and bounce, but we just played poorly. Crawley - completely gave it away, Sibley fell for the straight ball again, Bairstow - caught on the crease, Root - likewise (although was a good ball), Stokes - straight ball playing a lazy shot, Pope - extremely unlucky, Lawrence - moment of madness after playing nicely, Foakes - didn't get in, Ashwin had started to make it talk by then...

Should have been 250-5 on that pitch at the close.

They look demoralised and not in the frame of mind required to really push the best side in the world at home. To be fair though, being locked in a bubble probably doesn't help.

Lawrence - ‘moment of madness after playing nicely’ ...... I did begin to think of Derby County again for a moment then ?