Jump to content

Test Cricket is Back


sage
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We couldn't have any complaints in the 2nd test with the pitch as India made 600 runs.

But when Root and Leach skittle the best batting lineup in the world for just over 100 then the pitch isn't really up to standard.

There is a lot of talk about Ashwin getting to 400 wickets so quickly. He's been slow if anything looking at this pitch!

If he bowls on these kind of pitches, how come he hasn't got more wickets?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Think thats where we disagree then Kev. 

India far superior with the spinning ball of course but these batsmen are simply not good enough to play spin in these conditions. Openers have been undone too easily. Bairstow and Pope playing lines that sent them packing within minutes. 

We all cried about the pitch last time and then Ashwin put on a 100. We've just not been good enough. 

I’m not saying they are all batting well. And there will be outliers of course. But Pope’s not playing the wrong line. He’s assuming a ball with significant revs on it is going to turn. As it did last ball and the one before. The consistency is coming from the Indian spinners. The variation is coming mostly from the pitch. Root plays spin as well as anyone - so does Pope in fact - and half the time he’s having to guess what the pitch will do  

the Indian commentators are massively down playing the effect of the pitch and the English are too PC to really say what they think  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's about time the ICC started getting serious with countries that provide the standard of pitches that the Indians are producing. Test cricket should be played on pitches that can sustain in general terms cricket over 5 days. This type of cricket is an insult to be called TEST cricket. No problem losing, but please can the likes Kohli and his influence be eradicated at all costs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

I’m not saying they are all batting well. And there will be outliers of course. But Pope’s not playing the wrong line. He’s assuming a ball with significant revs on it is going to turn. As it did last ball and the one before. The consistency is coming from the Indian spinners. The variation is coming mostly from the pitch. Root plays spin as well as anyone - so does Pope in fact - and half the time he’s having to guess what the pitch will do  

the Indian commentators are massively down playing the effect of the pitch and the English are too PC to really say what they think  

The commentators seem to be completely ignoring the pitch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

This is much more to do with quality of spinner and pitch than it is to do with batting   Except in Archer’s case obviously 

So Joe Roots 5-8 down to his quality? Well maybe it is 🤷‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, SKRam said:

So Joe Roots 5-8 down to his quality? Well maybe it is 🤷‍♂️

Gavaskar predicted Root would be the most effective English spinner on these pitches because he’s the quickest. Batsmen have no time to adjust if the length is good. Patel quicker than Ashwin I think 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Can anyone remember how the fast bowlers were looking forward to taking a hatful of wickets by swinging the pink ball under lights?

How did that work out? 🙄

1 wicket in a grand total of 24 overs. They've all been rested for this match.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Next match, if they are using the same wicket, we should drop Archer, Broad and Anderson, put Bess and 2 more batsmen in, have a bowling attack of Leach, Bess, Root and Stokes (get him to bowl off spin that keeps on being mentioned). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, rynny said:

Next match, if they are using the same wicket, we should drop Archer, Broad and Anderson, put Bess and 2 more batsmen in, have a bowling attack of Leach, Bess, Root and Stokes (get him to bowl off spin that keeps on being mentioned). 

This may seem a radical team selection but I think I agree. There was never any point in 3 quicks anyway and Archer is showing more and more that might just be a waste of space. Drop him, Broad and Anderson and Bairstow as well (tell him not to come back until he can play properly). If we want some better batting and a bit of medium pace, pick Woakes.

Not sure who's available for the next one. Anyone going home or coming back?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

This may seem a radical team selection but I think I agree. There was never any point in 3 quicks anyway and Archer is showing more and more that might just be a waste of space. Drop him, Broad and Anderson and Bairstow as well (tell him not to come back until he can play properly). If we want some better batting and a bit of medium pace, pick Woakes.

Not sure who's available for the next one. Anyone going home or coming back?

I'm available. Confident I can nick one through the slips for at least a single which would be more than Bairstow scored in the match. His shot in the 2nd innings would have shamed a village green player.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I'm available. Confident I can nick one through the slips for at least a single which would be more than Bairstow scored in the match. His shot in the 2nd innings would have shamed a village green player.

I honestly have no idea what goes through the mind of a mediocre player under these circumstances. He has fielded close in for the Indian innings so he will have seen the turn and variable bounce; he comes in in the first over with nothing on the board and with his team trailing by 30 something in a low scoring match in the fifth session of the match.

And he thinks playing that shot is a good idea? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.