Test Cricket is Back

sage

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

We couldn't have any complaints in the 2nd test with the pitch as India made 600 runs.

But when Root and Leach skittle the best batting lineup in the world for just over 100 then the pitch isn't really up to standard.

There is a lot of talk about Ashwin getting to 400 wickets so quickly. He's been slow if anything looking at this pitch!

If he bowls on these kind of pitches, how come he hasn't got more wickets?

11 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Think thats where we disagree then Kev. 

India far superior with the spinning ball of course but these batsmen are simply not good enough to play spin in these conditions. Openers have been undone too easily. Bairstow and Pope playing lines that sent them packing within minutes. 

We all cried about the pitch last time and then Ashwin put on a 100. We've just not been good enough. 

I’m not saying they are all batting well. And there will be outliers of course. But Pope’s not playing the wrong line. He’s assuming a ball with significant revs on it is going to turn. As it did last ball and the one before. The consistency is coming from the Indian spinners. The variation is coming mostly from the pitch. Root plays spin as well as anyone - so does Pope in fact - and half the time he’s having to guess what the pitch will do  

the Indian commentators are massively down playing the effect of the pitch and the English are too PC to really say what they think  

It's about time the ICC started getting serious with countries that provide the standard of pitches that the Indians are producing. Test cricket should be played on pitches that can sustain in general terms cricket over 5 days. This type of cricket is an insult to be called TEST cricket. No problem losing, but please can the likes Kohli and his influence be eradicated at all costs.

1 minute ago, kevinhectoring said:

I’m not saying they are all batting well. And there will be outliers of course. But Pope’s not playing the wrong line. He’s assuming a ball with significant revs on it is going to turn. As it did last ball and the one before. The consistency is coming from the Indian spinners. The variation is coming mostly from the pitch. Root plays spin as well as anyone - so does Pope in fact - and half the time he’s having to guess what the pitch will do  

the Indian commentators are massively down playing the effect of the pitch and the English are too PC to really say what they think  

The commentators seem to be completely ignoring the pitch.

20 minutes ago, rynny said:

Next match, if they are using the same wicket, we should drop Archer, Broad and Anderson, put Bess and 2 more batsmen in, have a bowling attack of Leach, Bess, Root and Stokes (get him to bowl off spin that keeps on being mentioned). 

This may seem a radical team selection but I think I agree. There was never any point in 3 quicks anyway and Archer is showing more and more that might just be a waste of space. Drop him, Broad and Anderson and Bairstow as well (tell him not to come back until he can play properly). If we want some better batting and a bit of medium pace, pick Woakes.

Not sure who's available for the next one. Anyone going home or coming back?

26 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

This may seem a radical team selection but I think I agree. There was never any point in 3 quicks anyway and Archer is showing more and more that might just be a waste of space. Drop him, Broad and Anderson and Bairstow as well (tell him not to come back until he can play properly). If we want some better batting and a bit of medium pace, pick Woakes.

Not sure who's available for the next one. Anyone going home or coming back?

I'm available. Confident I can nick one through the slips for at least a single which would be more than Bairstow scored in the match. His shot in the 2nd innings would have shamed a village green player.

9 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

I'm available. Confident I can nick one through the slips for at least a single which would be more than Bairstow scored in the match. His shot in the 2nd innings would have shamed a village green player.

I honestly have no idea what goes through the mind of a mediocre player under these circumstances. He has fielded close in for the Indian innings so he will have seen the turn and variable bounce; he comes in in the first over with nothing on the board and with his team trailing by 30 something in a low scoring match in the fifth session of the match.

And he thinks playing that shot is a good idea?