Things you didn't notice first time round

sage

Sometimes you can watch a film, listen to a song or read a book several times as you love it so much. Often on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time you pick up little incidental gems that you somehow missed previously.

Today i watched one of my favourite films, The Shawshank Redemption, for what was probably about the 10th time and I noticed something new. When it is revealed that The rock hammer was hidden in the bible, I was so focused on the riposte of 'salvation lies within' that until now I never noticed that the bible opens up on the Book of Exodus.    

Anyone got anything new they discovered in an old favourite?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the final scene of the remake of The Bourne Identity with Matt Damon, the red bag that he takes from the embassy in Switzerland that he fills with money and gives to his girlfriend before she goes into hiding is on the wall of her shop holding flowers.

In Tangled, whenever Mother Gothel tells Rapunzel that she loves her she's always stroking and looking at her hair, which is what she really loves. In contrast, when Flynn tells Rapunzel he loves her he brushes her hair away from her face so he can see her eyes.

I'm choking up just thinking about it. Seriously though.

Near the end of Ferris Buellers Day Off, when his mum is being driven home by sister (Ferris is racing to get there first) , she mentions that a business deal was missed out on and she was going to buy Ferris a car with the commission. His day off cost him a new car.

A bit more highbrow than the OP, but in the film (The Brothers) Grimsby, at the end, Sasha Baron Cohen and Andrew Strong (?) are lying in hospital beds recovering after sitting on rocket-bombs to save the public in the World Cup final, there's a rotating fan at the end of the bed, and when it lines up with their arses, there's a subtle noise akin to blowing into a glass bottle, didn't spot it the first time, nearly choked to death when I spotted it the second time.

59 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

So anyway, it turns out that the bloke played by Bruce Willis was dead all along, hence the young lad being the only one able to see him! 

Bloody clever, that! 

It always gets me that people didn't see that 'twist' coming. People in the cinema I was in actually gasped and it was all I could do to not shout out, 'For crying out loud, he got shot in the first 10 minutes.'

7 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

It always gets me that people didn't see that 'twist' coming. People in the cinema I was in actually gasped and it was all I could do to not shout out, 'For crying out loud, he got shot in the first 10 minutes.'

I already knew anyway... because someone (deliberately) blabbed it out on Soccer AM!  ?

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I already knew anyway... because someone (deliberately) blabbed it out on Soccer AM!  ?

Boss at work had not seen it and someone mentioned the twist...his look was not a happy one.

11 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

A bit more highbrow than the OP, but in the film (The Brothers) Grimsby, at the end, Sasha Baron Cohen and Andrew Strong (?) are lying in hospital beds recovering after sitting on rocket-bombs to save the public in the World Cup final, there's a rotating fan at the end of the bed, and when it lines up with their arses, there's a subtle noise akin to blowing into a glass bottle, didn't spot it the first time, nearly choked to death when I spotted it the second time.

That is pathetic. What are you talking about? 

It is Mark Strong.. Jeez. 

Back To The Future is the motherlode of films where you don't notice stuff the first time. I went to see it multiple times at the cinema and spotted new stuff all the time. For example, at the very start there is a slow pan across multiple clocks in the Doc's lab. One of these has a small figure hanging from the big hand - just as the Doc ends up doing at the climax of the film

On 08/07/2020 at 09:55, Mostyn6 said:

I got the right surname, hence the question mark, I think Andrew must be Spiderman then. Who knows.

The first spider-man was Toby Maguire, 2nd (The Amazing Spider-Man) was Andrew Garfield, and the current is Tom Holland. 

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

The first spider-man was Toby Maguire, 2nd (The Amazing Spider-Man) was Andrew Garfield, and the current is Tom Holland. 

I bet you had to look that up on the web. 

Archived