I think we have to look at the rest of the season differently

Home advantage no longer exists.

I know we have tough games, but this one may act as a wake up call.

We are level with 6th and of course we have tougher games on paper, but Cardiff still have to play Bristol City, Blackburn, Fulham, Boro & Hull.

Not cripplingly tough, but I don't see them winning out.

I think if we can go to Wales and get a win then we'll make the playoffs.

And as they have no home advantage particularly, then I like our chances.

Having said all that, I think Rooney is the key.

He's labouring at the moment and that concerns me more than losing Waggy.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Home advantage no longer exists.

I know we have tough games, but this one may act as a wake up call.

We are level with 6th and of course we have tougher games on paper, but Cardiff still have to play Bristol City, Blackburn, Fulham, Boro & Hull.

Not cripplingly tough, but I don't see them winning out.

I think if we can go to Wales and get a win then we'll make the playoffs.

And as they have no home advantage particularly, then I like our chances.

Having said all that, I think Rooney is the key.

He's labouring at the moment and that concerns me more than losing Waggy.

I’d get Shinnie in to do Wayne’s role and shift Wayne further up. 

31 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

100% agree.

Rooney is still a significant threat outside the box, especially when Lawrence isn't there.

58 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Problem is Shinnie can't play that exact same role, so you have to weigh up if that is worth it or not

4 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Shinnie can win the ball and pass; 

Win the ball sure.

Pass? To an extent but he certainly won't be pulling the strings from deep likely Rooney dies and he will certainly be less fluent in conjunction with Bird.

It still might be worth it but it's far from like for like.

2 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Problem is Shinnie can't play that exact same role, so you have to weigh up if that is worth it or not

Clearly the set up would need to be tweaked but Shnnie was Derby's best player before his injury and gives us that physical presence we've been missed. 

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I would disagree. Rooney looks lost every time he moves further forward. He needs space and the ball to dictate the game

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Clearly the set up would need to be tweaked but Shnnie was Derby's best player before his injury and gives us that physical presence we've been missed. 

I'm not sure he was personally. He was good don't get me wrong but a big element of our problems in the early stemmed from not controlling well enough in midfield. And since Bird's and Rooney's introduction and pairing we've looked miles better. 

I don't think a lack of a physical presence is something that's been a problem either. 

With all that said it might be worthwhile starting him for a few reasons; we may need to reshuffle the side if both Waghorn and Martin are out, we looked leggy today and may need a bit of rotation and having a runner in midfield might help stretch games a bit.

57 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Get a grip.

We won 5 on the bounce before today and drew today against a well organised Forest team who are in the playoffs on merit.

Get a grip?

We got poorer as the game went on against both Preston and Reading.

They were far better than us from the get-go today and should have won this in a canter.

We came out looking lethargic and unable to do anything about their crisp passing and pressing high.

They looked like we did against Preston in the first half.

According to the Forest fans I know they have not been playing lights out and on current form we were well ahead of them.

So yeh, a wake up call is called for because I don't care where Forest are now, we have been the best team in the Championship since  the restart.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Shinnie to break the play up, Bird to do the passing bit.

What that does though, is to force Rooney into Sibley's position. I don't think Sibley would be as effective out wide, but then nobody really has been save for the suspended Lawrence and Waghorn.

Moving Sibley from were he is playing would be a big mistake in my opinion, he's currently our biggest creative outlet having been directly involved in 5/7 of our goals and having set up a fair few other chances.

I think if anything it might be worth playing Rooney up front if Martin is unable to play due to his rib.

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Moving Sibley from were he is playing would be a big mistake in my opinion, he's currently our biggest creative outlet having been directly involved in 5/7 of our goals and having set up a fair few other chances.

I think if anything it might be worth playing Rooney up front if Martin is unable to play due to his rib.

I don't think there is actually anything wrong with his ribs,he appeared to be joking..no doubt just took a elbow to his chest

4 hours ago, brady1993 said:

Win the ball sure.

Pass? To an extent but he certainly won't be pulling the strings from deep likely Rooney dies and he will certainly be less fluent in conjunction with Bird.

It still might be worth it but it's far from like for like.

To be fair I didn’t say it’d be like for like. We need more presence further forward. It was too easy for F@rest today with us not having any steel or guile in midfield. We scored via route 1 eventually; but they should’ve been 3 up by then. Not sure if Huddlestone is eligible but without Lawrence, Waghorn we are lightweight in the middle third. 

To be honest that performance today has really hit my confidence for the remainder of the season. We were looking unstoppable in the first few games back after the break, but today we just seemed to take multiple steps back. We just didn’t look up for it. To reach the playoffs we need to be able to handle big games properly, and we didn’t show that we can today. A bit of a fluke of a draw doesn’t change the overall performance. We were slow, lethargic, disorganised and totally devoid of ideas. Watching Evans trying to play 80 yard passes over Martins head was pretty damn painful. 

In fairness, we do still look a damn sight better than we did before Christmas - in terms of controlling games especially. But it does seem like our paper thing squad is starting to get to us - we don’t have enough strength in depth to rotate as we need to in order to be successful over this busy period. We started well, but by the end of the Preston game we looked shattered - and today we just had no energy at all. I personally think this lack of depth, given the suspensions we’ve picked up to key players, will prove to be our undoing. The Cardiff win today has made our job an extremely tough one - still possible, but far far more unlikely than this time yesterday.

Archived