Lampard vs. Cocu

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Frank was great for us and did give some younger players a chance with signings from a lower division.  He was also very reliant on the 3 loan players who were class.  Cocu’s done this without them and brought a lot of the academy through.  Rooney’s helped of course but for his first season in English football and all the off-field issues it’s a superb achievement.

I also think he really does have the long term interests of the club at heart and a plan to deliver.

Lampard arguably had one of the best Derby squads of recent times to use, Cocu has had to patch us together with virtually no time and very little money (and no Chelsea to help him too). 

To be able to even compare the two with results shows how brilliant a manager Cocu is. 

It’s just bizarre how their records are almost exactly the same, but it’s also a huge compliment to Cocu. Lampard had a far far stronger squad at his disposal and did a decent job getting them in the playoffs. For Cocu to have matched him up until this point with a much weaker squad is an outstanding achievement.

In my opinion Cocu has done a better job up to this point than Lampard did. Getting into the playoffs with the squad he had was decent going by Lampard, but getting into the race for the top 6 with the squad Cocu has is a real achievement - especially considering where we were at Christmas.

Chalk & Cheese ... a rookie manager with all the charisma, loved by the media and with his Chelski connections vs a manager with pedigree in Europe and a track record of developing young players. I know which I prefer, the solid level headed, know what I want, know where we’re going, long term approach every time over the here today gone tomorrow flamboyant style everytime. 

Remarkable set of stats - more so given that everything Cocu has had to contend with (and the lack of 3 key loans from last season)

Looking forwards to him having a season where everything goes well for him...

Lampard-Had the three best loans available to him and decided to loan Chris Martin

Cocu-Had every hindrance to a season you can imagine and utilised Chris Martin

All I’m saying is, imagine if Lampard has used Chris Martin. We might have won the league!

5 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It’s just bizarre how their records are almost exactly the same, but it’s also a huge compliment to Cocu. Lampard had a far far stronger squad at his disposal and did a decent job getting them in the playoffs. For Cocu to have matched him up until this point with a much weaker squad is an outstanding achievement.

In my opinion Cocu has done a better job up to this point than Lampard did. Getting into the playoffs with the squad he had was decent going by Lampard, but getting into the race for the top 6 with the squad Cocu has is a real achievement - especially considering where we were at Christmas.

Absolutely outstanding considering all that has been thrown at him, barely complains to the media, just gets on with it and all the time he’s been learning about the championship. Lampard did well, picking some gems from the loan market through contacts, whereas Cocu barely had time to adjust to what was left and build, yet he has through the academy.

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Remarkable set of stats - more so given that everything Cocu has had to contend with (and the lack of 3 key loans from last season)

Looking forwards to him having a season where everything goes well for him...

Just making me drool at what we can achieve next year with more of the academy flourishing, a really exciting centre half prospect signed and who knows who else, plus Rooney for a full season, fitness permitting.

Mel must be grinning right now.

4 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Lampard-Had the three best loans available to him and decided to loan Chris Martin

Cocu-Had every hindrance to a season you can imagine and utilised Chris Martin

All I’m saying is, imagine if Lampard has used Chris Martin. We might have won the league!

I would like to believe that but Martin was ill for most of last season I believe 

Cocu came up to me and shook my hand (Pre-Covid) at the Model Village in Bourton on the Water Back in early March.

Not once did Frank attempt to shake my hand.  In fact, he barely even noticed me!  In fact(2), he's probably never even been to the Model Village in Bourton on the Water!

I know who gets my vote!

9 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The loving Phil-ing is lovely. But emotionally this is exactly where we were with Frankie until he started fluttering his eyelashes at Roman.

Will we still be loving the Cocu-meister if his achievements are noticed and he naffs off to a "bigger" club at seasons end??

Fair point but the Chelsea thing was always following Frank around whilst Cocu seems different, going about his business in an unassuming manner, flying under the radar if you like. Always a possibility bigger fish will come calling but if they do at least we won’t be left with the feeling that it was always going to happen and our manager did little to discourage it. 

1 minute ago, Gisby said:

Fair point but the Chelsea thing was always following Frank around whilst Cocu seems different, going about his business in an unassuming manner, flying under the radar if you like. Always a possibility bigger fish will come calling but if they do at least we won’t be left with the feeling that it was always going to happen and our manager did little to discourage it. 

Barcelona by September then!  Odds on!  ?

Archived