The craziest season of all

Stive Pesley

This is Derby County - we've had some mad seasons in our time, and some more than weird happenings - but this season really takes the biscuit

1) Frankie-gate. A seemingly endless media onslaught of uncertainty. Will he stay or will he go? Of course we all knew the question was really "when?"

2) When the "when" happens, we hire (seemingly from nowhere) our first foreign coach and Dutch international legend Philip Cocu!

3) Roooooooney! We then somehow implausibly sign England's record goalscorer. But the catch is he can't play till after Xmas

4) The car-crash. 2 players drunk and end up in court. Our Captain however, suffers a contract (if not career) ending injury. Front of the National newspapers club of shame time

5) Keogh appeals his contract cancellation. He can't go kicking and screaming, so he'll stick to the screaming.

6) Flagship £10m signing Bielik destroys his cruciate in an under-23s game on a university pitch that he didn't even really need to be playing in and misses the rest of the season

7) The stadium sale charges. I mean - come on. The EFL said it was fine when we asked them if it was fine. We wouldn't have done it of they hadnt said it was fine, but now suddenly it's not fine. Retrospectively. See you in court (eventually...at some point)

? Coronavirus! Just as our season seems to be back on track, with Rooney pulling the strings - the whole season gets halted because of the pandemic

9 ) Flash foward 3 months and we start again as we left off (winning games). But then implausibly one of our drink-drive-shame starlets decides to top his lovely opening goal by randomly headbutting an opponent after the final whistle of a fairly passionless behind-closed doors game we've just won. Gets sent off and will miss at least 3 games.

10) Andre Wisdom gets stabbed in the arse and misses the rest of the season

Have I missed anything?

The question is - do we have time for one more bizarre thing to happen, and if so - what is your prediction?

Someone gets caught noncing a 15 year old online ?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The on-going will he/won't he investment saga, resulting in the players not getting paid on time because we didn't have enough cash in the bank to pay them.

Mason Bennett joking about burning the stadium down.

Good shouts - would have added them but just missed the editing window

Obviously "that" season was completely bonkers - people remember the terrible performances on the pitch, but there was so much more chaos, intrigue, WTF moments  - it was truly bizarre as well as awful. There's been articles about it since, but it's often "Billy Davies, why it wasn't my fault" "Paul Jewell, why it wasn't my fault" "Robbie Earnshaw - i didn't try because i didn't want to" I think that's the closest to this season for bonkers.

The three Amigos seasons were eventful.

Back in the mysts of time (well, before i started paying attention around 2000) I'm sure others will have contenders.

9 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Obviously "that" season was completely bonkers - people remember the terrible performances on the pitch, but there was so much more chaos, intrigue, WTF moments  - it was truly bizarre as well as awful. There's been articles about it since, but it's often "Billy Davies, why it wasn't my fault" "Paul Jewell, why it wasn't my fault" "Robbie Earnshaw - i didn't try because i didn't want to" I think that's the closest to this season for bonkers.

The three Amigos seasons were eventful.

Back in the mysts of time (well, before i started paying attention around 2000) I'm sure others will have contenders.

Paul Jewell’s extra-marital sex tape being leaked 

47 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

This is Derby County - we've had some mad seasons in our time, and some more than weird happenings - but this season really takes the biscuit

1) Frankie-gate. A seemingly endless media onslaught of uncertainty. Will he stay or will he go? Of course we all knew the question was really "when?"

2) When the "when" happens, we hire (seemingly from nowhere) our first foreign coach and Dutch international legend Philip Cocu!

3) Roooooooney! We then somehow implausibly sign England's record goalscorer. But the catch is he can't play till after Xmas

4) The car-crash. 2 players drunk and end up in court. Our Captain however, suffers a contract (if not career) ending injury. Front of the National newspapers club of shame time

5) Keogh appeals his contract cancellation. He can't go kicking and screaming, so he'll stick to the screaming.

6) Flagship £10m signing Bielik destroys his cruciate in an under-23s game on a university pitch that he didn't even really need to be playing in and misses the rest of the season

7) The stadium sale charges. I mean - come on. The EFL said it was fine when we asked them if it was fine. We wouldn't have done it of they hadnt said it was fine, but now suddenly it's not fine. Retrospectively. See you in court (eventually...at some point)

? Coronavirus! Just as our season seems to be back on track, with Rooney pulling the strings - the whole season gets halted because of the pandemic

9 ) Flash foward 3 months and we start again as we left off (winning games). But then implausibly one of our drink-drive-shame starlets decides to top his lovely opening goal by randomly headbutting an opponent after the final whistle of a fairly passionless behind-closed doors game we've just won. Gets sent off and will miss at least 3 games.

Have I missed anything?

The question is - do we have time for one more bizarre thing to happen, and if so - what is your prediction?

We get promoted. 

I’ll tell my kids/grandkids about this season in years down the line and there’s no way they’ll believe it... it’s just been utterly bizarre! 

There’s still plenty of time for something else mental to happen as well.... I’m sure Mason Bennett will want to complete his hat-trick of stupid off field incidents for example! Or maybe the most crazy thing of all will be us miraculously making the playoffs despite everything that’s happened....?

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Have I missed anything?

Well documented Schtive but it remains very difficult to believe. Just add:-

11 Rams reach play offs

12 Rams promoted

And you have it all. COYR

Archived