Tom Huddlestone

Bubbles

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im ok with him leaving. I don't think he makes us better next season or gets in the side with the competition for cm places. Wouldn't have minded seeing him sign until the end of the season. Worst case he can play cb if we are really short for options 

Good to hear it's ending on good terms. I know it was rumoured that he wanted a two-year deal which became primarily a coaching role in the second year. Could easily see him going off elsewhere for a year or two and coming back to do some coaching afterwards if Cocu and the like rate how he is with the young players.

Still think he's more than capable of starting for another upper Championship team, and I don't think he'll have any difficulty getting another gig when he leaves. Letting him go is more a reflection of the quality of the competition he has for that position here than the quality that he himself has.

Not to bothered about this, get him off the wage bill, money can be spent better else where, prefer Bird and Rooney in the midfield, Shinnie as back up, also have Bielik for next season, and Evans can play there as well, so plenty of cover there, his wages could go to a good goal keeper which we are desperate for. 

Huddlestone’s second coming made me realise just how good Thorne was in his pomp if anything 

He’s a bit weird, Huddlestone. He’s a bit like Pirlo. He won’t screen a defence and he won’t run a game by himself, he doesn’t have the mobility nor zip of a pass to up the tempo. You have to build a midfield to do all the dirty work and provide him runners and he’ll just keep things simple until he can play you in-behind. Like, I find it hard to explain. He doesn’t control games. His role is finding out-balls and creating chances from deep. I do think that if you provided him legs/protection around him and runners ahead of him he’d still be ridiculous.

The observations that he would thrive with time and space are bang on. 

8 hours ago, Rampage said:

The Wendies mentioned as possible new Club. A bit mystified why he did not sign till end of season, get paid, play at Wembley, score the winning penalty etc.

As you say, score the winning penalty and then injured for the next 6 months - who'd sign him! ?

I feel conflicted. On one hand, Tom wouldn’t be in my starting 11 and feel that he tends to slow us down too much. He doesn’t dictate play as he should and he doesn’t break up play either. So in theory I shouldn’t be bothered about him leaving.

But I can’t help be a little sad about this. Maybe it’s because he is ‘one of our own’ or maybe it’s because I still think he has something to offer and I don’t want a rival to be strengthened. Either way, I would have liked him to have hung around a bit longer.  

Oh well. 

Thanks Tom for producing footballing moments which made me smile, whether with the beautiful long cross-field pass or the calmness you showed under pressure. 

Good luck in whatever you do next. 

I hope you come back some day to teach others your skills. 

Excellent player for us and his quality deserves what he can attract in terms of a new contract but it just doesn’t make sense for us to keep him long term in my opinion purely because Max Bird is doing so well and we have Belick at some point ( if we don’t sell him) and Shinnie is more than capable.

Thanks Tom and good luck 

Watched Tom walk into Pride Park near the start of his career - I think he was dropped off by his Mum or Dad. He looked very shy and nervous.

With respect he was only 16

Watched the game and he was bossing it, I was in awe of him and thought we had the new Gerrard.

With more mobility he would have been as good/better than Gerrard... imho would have give Hoddle  a run for his money

All the best Tom, I feel it is not goodbye but see you later - in some guise.

Archived