Why I Don't Think We Will Make The Play Offs

sage

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not as a right sided CB

No, you’d play him on the left. But now you’ve reminded me of Evans, it should be him. Rather play a kid than Davies. Davies would change the whole game plan and we would certainly be hopeless. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, sage said:

I think Evans could come in. Especially if we aren't up against a big CF.

I think Evans is pretty good in the air. Its his pace that would concern me so he'll need be sharp positionally

Its clear we need our CBs to be able to play & Evans can definitely do that - the ideal replacement

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I think Evans is pretty good in the air. Its his pace that would concern me so he'll need be sharp positionally

Its clear we need our CBs to be able to play & Evans can definitely do that - the ideal replacement

He is quicker than Davies but not as strong in the air.

Evans played very well at centre back a year ago but cocu has shown little or no inclination to play him there. 
and he even dropped him from the squad in favour of huddz on Saturday. 

it will be Davies. 

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Evans played very well at centre back a year ago but cocu has shown little or no inclination to play him there. 
and he even dropped him from the squad in favour of huddz on Saturday. 

it will be Davies. 

I'm hoping that's down to a couple of factors...

1. Cocu think's Huddlestone is a better CM
  2. Cocu wanted Davies on the bench as an option to see a game out

If this is the case, then it's possible Cocu thinks Evans is the better option from the start of the game when we want to play out from the back and want to control the game. Davies to come in to do the 'head it, clear it' role which he has done in the last 4 games.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

...then it's possible Cocu thinks Evans is the better option from the start of the game when we want to play out from the back and want to control the game. Davies to come in to do the 'head it, clear it' role which he has done in the last 4 games.

Can't believe anyone would rather start Evans at the back over Davies. We could play it out a little less or via Clarke. A more than decent centre half over a very ordinary undecided positional player?!

9 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Preston offer very little up front.*  Even Stockley, who is their target man cannot jump (as a 6'4" white man I can sympathise).

*Their goal threat is from midfield.

TBF Jimmy Krankie could score headers with our marking. 

46 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Can't believe anyone would rather start Evans at the back over Davies. We could play it out a little less or via Clarke. A more than decent centre half over a very ordinary undecided positional player?! 

It's become very clear that Davies isn't a ball playing centre half hence cocu has decided to make wisdom first choice. Evans has done well when he has played there and fits the role much better. Davies is a head it, kick it type. If we play him from the start, all of a sudden our game changes.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Evans for me. He did well there a year ago and despite how much I like him and how good he is in the air Davies is too slow, isn't good bringing the ball out and has got a little prone to giving the ball away too easily. 

Was it Bristol last year when our hearts sank as Evans had to come on and fill in at CB but did a good job that day and every game since (admittedly not a lot) that he played that position?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Quicker than Davies - vital when playing a high line
Calmer on the ball and better passer - vital to playing out from the back
Gmaes vs Bristol, Swansea, Man Utd, and in pre-season - couldn't expect more from a CB in these games. Didn't concede with him at CB last season. Goals vs Man Utd were down to Fozzy at CB and a lucky deflection off Lingard's backside.

Positioning and aerial ability are slightly worse... although you'd expect better for Millwall's 2nd goal.

The Forest, Cardiff and Birmingham game's may suit Davies more and we may see him start those games. Evans must start for me in the others until Wisdom returns.

Our lack of  quality in depth is really going to be tested now. What side/subs can we put out on Wednesday?

Hamer

Bogle Evans Clarke Lowe

Rooney Bird

Holmes Sibley Josefzoon

Martin

Subs - Roos Forsyth Davies Shinnie Knight and the creche 

13 minutes ago, sage said:

Our lack of  quality in depth is really going to be tested now. What side/subs can we put out on Wednesday?

Hamer

Bogle Evans Clarke Lowe

Rooney Bird

Holmes Sibley Josefzoon

Martin

Subs - Roos Forsyth Davies Shinnie Knight and the creche 

I’d drop bird for that performance (Probably for shinnie)

i didn’t think jozefzoon added much but he still managed to be an improvement because we were so lacking in anything creative

we’ve run out of players, especially with the u23s not playing 

13 minutes ago, RamNut said:

i didn’t think jozefzoon added much but he still managed to be an improvement because we were so lacking in anything creative

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

19 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Agree with this. Bird has done well but I think derbies call for experience and Shinnie is an international player and captained his last two clubs. I think we lacked experience from the start today and that showed when some older heads came on in second half. Not for a minute suggesting we throw our young talent under the bus  they've been brilliant for us, but high pressure games coming up may call for greater experience where available (i.e. when the older heads can keep themselves on the pitch!)

53 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I think Bird looked like one of the few players likely to get something going today. Not his best performance by any stretch but he's arguably been our best player since January and dropping him for Shinnie (who I think is a worse player) would be a mistake.

Archived