v Preston (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worth noting that Preston are in the exact same position as us and their target will be to close the gap to 1 point too.

They’re in poor form but there’s 7 games left and that’s more than enough time to build up the momentum needed for a successful play-off run.

I think it’s going to come down to which team has more fight & desire and who wants it more. We’ve rallied together as a team already this season, and it’s time to do so again tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It seems clear to me Cocu sees Davies as a better option off the bench - most probably due to being better at seeing games out when we’re under pressure (less reliant on passing out from the back). 
Evans is the closer like for like replacement with Wisdom. Wisdom’s not great in the air anyway, is he?

He gave Davies the armband on Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

According to Preston fans their Centre Backs (Bauer and Davies) really struggled with players running at them with the ball.  I'd imagine Waghorn pulling them out of position and a mobile trio of Sibley, Holmes and Knight running at them may prove a fruitful approach.

Ironic as I think our centre back Davies similarly struggles with pace......?

26 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Ironic as I think our centre back Davies similarly struggles with pace......?

According to the Preston fans, pace is not something associated with their forward line.  Apparently Stockley has neither movement, pace or an ability to jump.  Maguire has played 9 times as centre forward and scored none of his 4 goals this season from the position.  Moult may well have slept with the gaffer's wife for how far out of favour he is and then we have Nugent.  He seems to have declined from the low standard he set here last season and he has become a symbol for all that the Preston fans believe is wrong with their club (Ridsdale vanity signing to put it politely).  They're almost unanimous in their condemnation of a man who is ruining his legacy at the club.

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

According to the Preston fans, pace is not something associated with their forward line.  Apparently Stockley has neither movement, pace or an ability to jump.  Maguire has played 9 times as centre forward and scored none of his 4 goals this season from the position.  Moult may well have slept with the gaffer's wife for how far out of favour he is and then we have Nugent.  He seems to have declined from the low standard he set here last season and he has become a symbol for all that the Preston fans believe is wrong with their club (Ridsdale vanity signing to put it politely).  They're almost unanimous in their condemnation of a man who is ruining his legacy at the club.

That seals our fate then. You’ve just named all the Preston goal scorers...
I’m not superstitious at all 

Preston are obviously in rough form, particularly at home but Im far from confident here.

Losing Wisdom & Lawrence is going to hit us hard. Preston's stength is in their midfield energy, they won't give us a second on the ball & I fully expect that clogger Pearson to escape punishment as always. That means we'll need CBs to bring the ball out of defence & hence is why I believe Evans (and not Davies) should replace Wisdom.

Whilst Lawrence is frustrating, he does have the ability to turn games with a bit of magic. Most obvious replacement is Knight, who whilst not as outwardly gifted, will work hard to match Preston's energy & is likely to keep the ball better in advanced positions. Jozefzoon is the wild card, I hear good things about him training but its never materialised on the pitch...maybe a late cameo off the bench.

The weather also wont do us any favours, 15 degrees and overcast will enable Preston to buzz around us. If it were like last Weds (i.e. 26 degrees & bright sunshine), I'd have fancied us to control the game with our superior technical ability.

Given how tough its likely to be in the centre of the park, I would start with Martin up top & Waggy right side. We need to be able to hold the ball up top & have a base from which to be able to play, Knight & Waggy obviously need to be close to Martin to feed off his layoffs. Rest of the side unchanged.

I would like to see Jozefoon given a go on the wing for the first time in ages , Waghorn and Knight both aren't proper wingers and although Jozefoon hasn't done much this season we will need someone who can carry the ball and  offer width as with Waghorn and Holmes on the wings I don't see us creating much unless we keep the ball in their half and swamp them with high pressure. Also would like to see Lowe start as he offers abit more on the ball than Forsyth and has more pace making outside runs which we may need to break down a team who will be fairly solid at the back even though they have been on bad form.

I would go for:

Hamer

Bogle Davies Clarke Lowe

Bird Rooney

Holmes  Sibley  Jozefoon

Waghorn

Our defence and goalkeeper is the worst side of the team.

First Hamer have to give place to Roos.

Secondly - we have to be more solid  in defence. When the backfour goes forward and lose the ball we all to open and rush baclk with only Hamer to avoid a goal. Therefor I go for A 3-2-4-1 vs. Preston:

ROOS

EVANS        CLARKE      FORSYTH

BOGLE                                                                       LOWE

ROONEY 

KNIGHT        SIBLEY         BIRD

WAGHORN

Bogle and Lowe are now able to play a more advanced role as wingbacks and ue Sibley as a 10 behind Waghorn. 

The bench will be interesting... Wisdom, Huddlestone and Lawrence missing from the squad with only Evans and Malone as senior squad players available to come in. Evans will definitely be in the squad (hopefully starting at CB), but as Malone seems to be surplus to requirements he could still miss out despite giving us another option at LW... So 1 or 2 spots up for grabs from the U23s. Trialist seems to be the obvious choice if we start with both Waghorn and Martin. A lack of cover at RB and either CB or DM (depending on whether Evans or Davies starts) suggests that JBrown may be in the squad.

Considering the chances of Malone coming off the bench instead of Lowe/Fozzy, Jozefzoon or Whittaker seems fairly low, I reckon we could see JBrown and Trialist in the squad. 

Jamal Hector Ingram on the bench tonight? If Martin and Waghorn both start, which I fully expect, then we don't have an attacking option to bring on.

I'd like to see Evans ahead of Davies tonight - much better with the ball at feet.

We've now lost Wisdom, Huddlestone, Lawrence, Marriott from being in the squad. I exclude Anya!

Ouchee!

Archived