v Preston (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

28 minutes ago, Louby said:

Could we not bring Forsyth to play with Clarke and put Lowe on the left?  Maybe start Davis against Forrest. I’m not sure Davis would be able to cope with 2 games in a few days. Just a thought 

No. Neither is capable of playing on the right and Forsyth shouldn't play there unless there's an emergency - Davies and Evans are both better (especially so on the RHS)

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Well enough for the manager to continue playing him there enough times

And yet Cocu, a manager of no doubt higher pedigree than Readings recent managers, has on multiple occasions elected to play Davies over him - and will certainly do so tomorrow night as well.

12 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

As far as I’m aware we went out with an absolute whimper in that game. Not exactly evidence of any players quality.

But it's a game where Cocu played Evans at centre back, over the likes of Davies. So it's definitely in his plans.

8 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

But it's a game where Cocu played Evans at centre back, over the likes of Davies. So it's definitely in his plans.

I thought it was Evans and Davies that game? It’s probably in his plans as emergency cover as we have no one else beyond Davies, but he’s not gonna play instead of him

4 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

How well did that go then? Because from what I’ve heard/read, their fans didn’t hugely rate him.

All of them or just those making the most noise - similar to some of our fans' negative views on Chris Martin?

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I thought it was Evans and Davies that game? It’s probably in his plans as emergency cover as we have no one else beyond Davies, but he’s not gonna play instead of him

It was Evans and Forsyth. Maybe he won't play over Davies tomorrow night but I would have thought that he's a better option for  the game we want to play, being comfortable on the ball and imposing ourselves on the opposition. Davies is not this, which would explain why Cocu only plays him when we need to defend deep and grind out a result.

42 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

And yet Cocu, a manager of no doubt higher pedigree than Readings recent managers, has on multiple occasions elected to play Davies over him - and will certainly do so tomorrow night as well.

It seems clear to me Cocu sees Davies as a better option off the bench - most probably due to being better at seeing games out when we’re under pressure (less reliant on passing out from the back). 
Evans is the closer like for like replacement with Wisdom. Wisdom’s not great in the air anyway, is he?

1 hour ago, Wolfie20 said:

All of them or just those making the most noise - similar to some of our fans' negative views on Chris Martin?

Is Evans ill then? He's 25 yrs old should be coming into the best football of his career? Can't wait.

Rooney

Bogle   J.Brown   Clarke   Forsyth

Bird   Knight

Lil' Dunc       Sibbo       Shinnie

Waggy

Does Jack Marriott still play for us?

Unbelievable set of results setting us up with big chance to get to only one point behind Cardiff tomorrow. Cardiff draw, Blackburn lose, Millwall and Swansea draw. Exceeds expectations. Bring Preston on. Welcome to the Championship. COYR

Archived