v Preston (A) - Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

33 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Of course they can, but it usually takes weeks if not months of hard work in training to make the transition - I very much doubt 2 days between matches will be enough time to prepare. If Evans was being re-trained as a centre back, he’d have played there already this season given our defensive issues. You only have to look at the absolute catastrophe of Forsyth at CB to see the dangers of playing players out of position in such an important role in the team.

Think Cocu would be more aware than most of the 'dangers' as you put it. I'll go with his decision.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

The question is would you want us to continue to play out from the back with Curtis in the side or would you prefer us to play the longer game and battle for second balls in midfield & up front?

I think Rooney will become even more important if Davies is playing. He’d need to start dropping deeper to pick the ball up from the CB’s, then start spraying it around like he did vs Palace in the cup.

38 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Of course they can, but it usually takes weeks if not months of hard work in training to make the transition - I very much doubt 2 days between matches will be enough time to prepare. If Evans was being re-trained as a centre back, he’d have played there already this season given our defensive issues. You only have to look at the absolute catastrophe of Forsyth at CB to see the dangers of playing players out of position in such an important role in the team.

Well it’s a good job it hasn’t just been 2 days of training. Even just at Derby, he was training as CB for a large period towards the end of last season and in pre-season. He was used as a CB a lot when at Reading too. 

19 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If Evans was any good he'd have got in before Wis is the point, plus he'd get on instead of Davies when Bogle gets subbed and Wis put RB.

I mean what kind of logic is that? Cocu didn't fancy Shinnie either, but after playing him for a while realised he had a place. Some players take time to prove their worth. Cocu didn't like Chris Martin at first either. 

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Well it’s a good job it hasn’t just been 2 days of training. Even just at Derby, he was training as CB for a large period towards the end of last season and in pre-season. He was used as a CB a lot when at Reading too. 

How well did that go then? Because from what I’ve heard/read, their fans didn’t hugely rate him.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I mean what kind of logic is that? Cocu didn't fancy Shinnie either, but after playing him for a while realised he had a place. Some players take time to prove their worth. Cocu didn't like Chris Martin at first either. 

Evans couldn't even get on the bench last game is that kind of logic.

21 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

If Chris Martin was any good, he’d have got in before Vydra, James Wilson, Nugent and Waghorn at in recent years.

?

So true, and we had to wait soooo long to see him score his next Derby goal. ?

The relentless nature of our fixture list and Curtis' age are factors here.  I'm not sure he can play twice a week for the next three or four weeks.  It's the reason Rooney is subbed off and hour if we're leading.  It's done purely to protect him for the next game.

Cocu may adapt this thinking for his centre halves and we may see Evans start three or so games with Curtis coming on as usual.

Whichever of them starts against Preston won't make much difference.  They are too poor upfront.  

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Evans couldn't even get on the bench last game is that kind of logic.

Why is that relevant? Cocu clearly sees Davies as a better player to bring on in the dying minutes of a game to see out a result because he is a traditional head it kick it defender. Our best option to continue playing the football we have been, bringing the ball out with confidence, is Evans. I'd like to hear a legitimate reason why people think otherwise.

This is what you get with Davies in the side...
image.thumb.png.bbc90cf18d0c9bce8f3202dbe3d038c1.png

Pressure coming in from a mile away and he poos himself. Tries to play it out, but by the time he's controlled it and his pass gets to Wisdom, the Reading player was almost on his toes. A rushed pass back to Hamer as a result and it's cleared out for a throw just before the onrushing defender closes him down and the scores being level.

Evans would have brought the ball under control much quicker and given the ball to Wisdom much sooner, or would have had the composure and vision to find a forward pass. No pressure on our own goal... and instead we've progressed to the half way line and are on the attack.

4 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I must admit I would feel a whole lot better if Evans started. Every time he's played at centre half he's done a good job to be fair and can bring the ball out with confidence

Evans has had a couple of decent games standing in at centre half but that’s it Davies has a career playing there at a very high level 

head it kick it and let Rooney have it 

Could we not bring Forsyth to play with Clarke and put Lowe on the left?  Maybe start Davis against Forrest. I’m not sure Davis would be able to cope with 2 games in a few days. Just a thought 

10 hours ago, The Orange Pimpernel said:

Playing out from the back is our whole ethos at the moment. Curtis isn't any good at it. If they mark our two holding midfielders like Reading did both centre backs need to be capable of carrying the ball out. Might need George Evans to step in like he did at Bristol City last season?

I agree but it would be a blow to Curtis. He is a real trooper. How do you handle that as a manager I wonder.

none the less I think Curtis will play. 

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

Evans has had a couple of decent games standing in at centre half but that’s it Davies has a career playing there at a very high level 

head it kick it and let Rooney have it 

That’s fine if he heads or kicks it to Rooney. Sadly, he’s not (and would probably admit it himself) a strong ball player and often needs a short simple pass which isn’t always available. 

You might be safer with Davies (provided he keeps it simple) but I’d prefer Evans.

Archived