iFollow

Just reading on the Athletic that Derby have to pay the EFL £40,000 a year NOT to use iFollow.

That's absolutely incredible. It's like an extortion racket.

Where else in the world would you have to pay NOT to use an element of a 'club' of which you've already paid to be a member.

Notwithstanding the 40k fee, there is then apparently a further £825 per away game fee to get access to the video feeds from the iFollow cameras.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They must make the money back or they wouldn't do it, but I agree that's ridiculous.

To play devil's advocate - if each club was left to their own devices, the smaller clubs like Barnsley couldn't dream of putting together something like Rams TV, which justifies its name by effectively being a TV channel in its own right, it's that good. Makes sense to pool together and everyone gets the same.

I'm really pleased we don't have to use iFollow though.

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

They must make the money back or they wouldn't do it, but I agree that's ridiculous.

To play devil's advocate - if each club was left to their own devices, the smaller clubs like Barnsley couldn't dream of putting together something like Rams TV, which justifies its name by effectively being a TV channel in its own right, it's that good. Makes sense to pool together and everyone gets the same.

I'm really pleased we don't have to use iFollow though.

Bolded and underlined, still understatement.

On 25/06/2020 at 09:13, therealhantsram said:

Just reading on the Athletic that Derby have to pay the EFL £40,000 a year NOT to use iFollow.

That's absolutely incredible. It's like an extortion racket.

Where else in the world would you have to pay NOT to use an element of a 'club' of which you've already paid to be a member.

Notwithstanding the 40k fee, there is then apparently a further £825 per away game fee to get access to the video feeds from the iFollow cameras.

I think that's a slightly unfair position - Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of the EFL - But any deals they do with the likes of iFollow will be based on a bulk deal - all clubs who are members of the EFL agree to that in order to participate in the league

As @Duracell said they need clubs like Derby in the mix to be able to get deals for teams like Barnsley - Its the same with the Sky deal too - The deal they did with iFollow will be based on all teams being part of it and iFollow would have given them a good deal on that basis - Part of any agreement like that involves 'penalty' payments for not being part of it - I very much doubt that £40k is going to the EFL - I would imagine it goes through the EFL to iFollow as compensation for them not making money from us

That plus £40k is a generous wage for someone employed by iFollow but is a week's wages for someone like Huddlestone - And we make back £825 if 9 people watch an away game - If we were talking hundreds of thousands i'd have a problem - But I think iFollow probably provide a good service to clubs who otherwise wouldn't be able to watch their clubs in the way that we are and I think that's a good thing

14 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I think that's a slightly unfair position - Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of the EFL - But any deals they do with the likes of iFollow will be based on a bulk deal - all clubs who are members of the EFL agree to that in order to participate in the league

As @Duracell said they need clubs like Derby in the mix to be able to get deals for teams like Barnsley - Its the same with the Sky deal too - The deal they did with iFollow will be based on all teams being part of it and iFollow would have given them a good deal on that basis - Part of any agreement like that involves 'penalty' payments for not being part of it - I very much doubt that £40k is going to the EFL - I would imagine it goes through the EFL to iFollow as compensation for them not making money from us

That plus £40k is a generous wage for someone employed by iFollow but is a week's wages for someone like Huddlestone - And we make back £825 if 9 people watch an away game - If we were talking hundreds of thousands i'd have a problem - But I think iFollow probably provide a good service to clubs who otherwise wouldn't be able to watch their clubs in the way that we are and I think that's a good thing

You may want to get a new calculator. 

Efl are dinosaurs when it comes to media. It's remarkable how many years there was just 2 cameras in the stadium for highlights. 

The sky deal at first glance looks very generous for sky and quite poor for the clubs. The 'red button' games seems to to completely destroy the business case for £10/game PPV where you can't even get it on an app or cast it easily to the TV. The efl websites were hilariously terrible for about 10 years. 

I very much doubt ramstv breaks even, but it could be if the efl changed the rules. 

Archived